wild style 25th anniversary tomorrow night free

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
central parkcaz,cold crush,busy bee,theodore etc they showing the film etcact like you carehttp://www.summerstage.org/index1.aspx?BD=19792

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "I wish I lived in NYC" Volume #234572

Double Trouble gonna be there?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i dont live there, but i did buy that new "wild style: the sampler" book, and it is GREAT.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I hate that I'm missing this. If I saw this 2 hrs ago!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    was it a rain out?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I cant wait for the Wild Style theme restaurant.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    "I wish I lived in NYC"

• was it a rain out?

Naw, the show went on. But the crowd was pretty small. It started out pretty cool with Grand Wizard Theodore doing a DJ routine that showed he's still got some chops. Fantastic Five did their thing with a blend of old and new. Busy Bee came on with a LOT of energy. Preached a little too much, but I'll give him a pass. He handled his B.I. He brought on (not-so-)Lil Rodney C from Double Trouble, and that's when shit started to bog down. LRC brought in his DJ Stevie Steve, and Steve was having some ... er ... issues. And the communication between the two of them was not so hot. Rodney C got flustered, and took out some frustration on the sound man. That whole Double Trouble set was awkward.

Rammellzee came on next. Rammellzee is a weird dude. Let's just say, he was on his own/other shit. Obviously. A lot of people left during his set. It was funny, in an inside joke kind of way. Except I know I'm not really in on the joke. Very out of place, but I guess it's good to show the diversity of the music to give folks some perspective, regardless of how awful that diversity sometimes is.

Fab 5 Freddy was there and spoke a bit about the movie.

Cold Crush came on after that and did the damn thing, but the event just started to stretch on at that point. I didn't stay for the film. Humid as fuck last night.

It was cool seeing those cats, even with the lackluster crowd, the crappy weather and some awkward moments. I just hope they enjoyed themselves and got some good loot out of it.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I think you left during "Punk Rock Rap" which continued for what seemed like 15 minutes. The girl sitting behind us laughed the whole time, which was kind of contagious. After their set, they wrapped up the performances and brought out everyone who rocked with folks who helped with the production of the film.
    We didn't stick a round for the screening though. Like I was thinking - one of us must have to DVD to watch in the comfort of our own home.

That situation made me feel both young and old. Maybe too young to really care to hear the ranting (yet again) of the rappers who were forgotten and hear more filler of call & response - "somebody say, 'Hoooooo!!!' / "Oooooooooold schoooooooooll!!' / this side say 'Hip', and that side say 'Hop'," etc., but old enough to have witnessed the transgression in hip-hop over time. I'm glad it's changed because if hip-hop still sounded like that, I'd be severely bored (even though I can't really ride for stuff that's out now).

Rammellzee & Fab 5 were my highlights for the evening.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I cant wait for the Wild Style theme restaurant.

http://www.hiphopchow.com/

I cant stand this stuff.

What makes this a distinctly Hip Hop cuisine?

I want Old English 800 Battered Fish
    Now & Later Martini's
    Pork Rinds Egg Foo Young
    Hip Hopps Beer

It all has to come served in a rapper....

I want "BeeF" braised in an Incredible Hulk sauce.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

I cant stand this stuff.

Dude, what could be more hip hop than a seared sea scallop and avocado salad?

I cant stand this stuff.

Dude, what could be more hip hop than a seared sea scallop and avocado salad?

Hip House Salad.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'll have an MC Shandy to start, and could I get the Marley Marlin seared, please?

and could I get the Marley Marlin seared, please?

LOL

w/ a sprinkle of our Local Ingredient of the week Paul C. Salt.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I ressurected this thread just so I could say, "Grand Lobster Thermador."

That is all.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I cant stand this stuff.

And finish it off with a visit to DITCBY!