Feist(y)

2»

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Out of curiosity is this the same artist thats in the new verizon commercial? I think song is called " my mom " or " mom " that song is hot

"my moon my man"
    thats her

been listening to and watching the 1 2 3 4 video tons the past few weeks
    no joke i've started to hear it in my sleep

her cover of Sea Lion Woman is hottlikefire.

I wanted to like this but it's one of those songs that, after hearing Nina do it, I never, ever need to hear another version.

especially the timbaland one

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    there's that new Feist song 'My moon my man' .. has piano chops in it..

And Bambouche - !

I did not realize all that information, but I'll see what I can find for other versions. I love Nina Simone's music , I just never bothered to check if that was her original track or not.

And Bambouche - !

I did not realize all that information, but I'll see what I can find for other versions. I love Nina Simone's music , I just never bothered to check if that was her original track or not.

nina's version was the first song i ever tried to get licensed
    i would have to dig through papers but i'm pretty sure she owned publishing on it. so i believe that would mean she added enough to the composition to make it her own

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

Nice, i am always asking my friends for new music and i must be getting old if i find new music through a commercial.

Nice, i am always asking my friends for new music and i must be getting old if i find new music through a commercial.

parts of this article talk specifically about that point

http://idolator.com/tunes/the-new-face-of-indie%7C-safe-for-moms%2C-microwaves/-281488.php

(open the la times link from there)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

And Bambouche - !

i would have to dig through papers but i'm pretty sure she owned publishing on it. so i believe that would mean she added enough to the composition to make it her own

If a song was public domain and had never been 'owned' by anyone it would be easy (or would've been back then) to copyright it yourself wouldn't it?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Sea Lion Woman

how the f**k did see line woman turn into sea lion woman?? honestly, i'm scared of the future

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    how the f**k did see line woman turn into sea lion woman?? honestly, i'm scared of the future

As was mentioned above, there are multiple vintage Nina LPs using that spelling.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

As was mentioned above, there are multiple vintage Nina LPs using that spelling.

b/w

My 45 version

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I am probably the biggest Nina Simone fan on this board, and I have heard some beautiful versions of this song. Don't limit yourself only to her.

I would like to propose a separate thread for alternate versions of See Line Woman. I would start one myself, but the only ones I know of are the Nina Simone + respective MAW remix and Feist's.

Man, I love this woman's music! Thanks for sharing that video link. I send out music emails to my friends and 1234 and another track of hers was going to be in the zip file. Now i have a video to send along with my text.

Her stuff kind of reminds me of Angela Mcluskly (sp) and the Be Good Tanyas. I would post mp3's but I'm not on my regular computer. Are there any musicians that you all think of when you listen to feist?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

And Bambouche - !

George Bass is/was the dude who "wrote" the Nina version, but there do exist versions that just credit her alone. It's like any other traditional song, which is what it is - authorship is pretty nebulous. I've heard the Library of Congress recording Bam mentions upthread, and that's pretty much the song as most of us know it right there. I know that Feist actually added a few lines, maybe even as much as a verse, from earlier pre-Nina versions, so her version isn't really a strict cover anyway.

Her stuff kind of reminds me of Angela Mcluskly (sp) and the Be Good Tanyas. I would post mp3's but I'm not on my regular computer. Are there any musicians that you all think of when you listen to feist?

Here's two tracks that I think of when I hear Feist.

Angela McCluskey

Be Good Tanyas

Does anyone know if there's a vinyl version other than the white import vinyl that the lab has for $28?... it's kinda steep.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I did one of those... the 'do right remix'. they fucked up the credit tho, long story.

GOT IT!

Track is

Thanks to Aser.