SILVERFISH

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
anybody ever run into any of these little buggers?I found a couple of these bastards dead in the bottom of the plastic sleeves of some of my raers... have never EVER seen them anywhere else in my house. Basically harmless, but beware... they love the glue that holds books and also record jackets[/b] together.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    OH HELL FUCKIN NO.

Those things scare the SHIT out of me.

Anything that a)has that many legs and
    b)can move that fucking fast is BAD NEWS.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was going through a 45 box I haven't checked out in a while last night and a couple of these fuckers dropped out.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i hate silverfish! i'd rather come across a spider than one of these things.

somewhat related, i watched the awesome Life in the Undergrowth series about insects last nite and they showed these giant centipedes in caves that capture and prey on bats!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I can appreciate the Silverfish. Do your thing Silverfish!

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts
    i hate silverfish! i'd rather come across a spider than one of these things.

somewhat related, i watched the awesome Life in the Undergrowth series about insects last nite and they showed these giant centipedes in caves that capture and prey on bats!

i have Life In The Undergrowth out from Netflix right now. crazy stuff.
    my kid thinks springtails are the cutest, coolest bugs ever.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

SOFT.

I'll give you something to be scared of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg

Insects should not be able to eat rodents

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    May I suggest inviting PhillyStress over and allowing his natural negative energy to eradiate through your record collection; sterilizing the area while killing all local insects.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I got a story about silverfish. I actually PM'd cas-matic on this one a while back. lemme see if i can find it.
    edit: here it is, with a couple bits censored out, and the number dumbed down to reflect reality.
    here's a story.
    i don't know what's worse: the bus or the insanely huge amount of homeless crazy junkies that ride it.(ed note: i was not havin' it. normally, I am not quite as intolerant)
    Preface:
    (censored) I'll give you the gist: there are far too many junkies that live in my neighborhood, and sometimes, I can't stand their junkie antics.-ed
    (cont....)Sure, there are cities out there like NYC or Chicago where I imagine it would be extremely difficult to be homeless. People die out there because it's f-ing freezing. San Diego is 70 degrees every day and it rains 3 times a year. That is not difficult, that is living your life as a fucking Jimmy Buffet song. And Buffet is a shitstain and his music sucks ass.
    Therefore: the homeless junkies can [censored] because they, like Jimmy Buffet, are retarded asses that suck.

Here's the Story: the bus smelled like piss, (there are 4 bus routes in the system in SD that are awful. I ride one to work if I'm running late. -ed) as usual, but I decided to sit because there was an empty row of seats. Some "lost soul" comes rambling onto the bus with a rolling cart, two duffel bags and a backpack, held together with duct tape and zip ties, sweating booze out of every pore. GREAT. Running his filthy carry-ons into everyone adjacent to the aisle, he gets to the back of the bus and starts setting up shop, literally draping wet clothing (not washed, just inexplicably wet) over handrails and dropping trash all over the floor. Apparently, he planned to hang out for a while. Just then he drops a small cardboard box and the top opens- I heard a few passengers start freaking out and look back to see that the dropped box has about 200-300 FUCKING SILVERFISH CRAWLING OUT OF IT. THIS MOTHERFUCKER WAS COLLECTING SILVERFISH. Now, according to Wikipedia, "The favourite food of silverfish is any matter that contains starch or polysaccharides, such as dextrin in adhesives. These include glue, book bindings, paper, photos, sugar, hair, and dandruff" the latter two foodstuffs, I'm sure this dipshit had ample of.
    So, people start freaking out and this guy is freaking out trying to get his fucking silverfish back in the box because, who else is he gonna feed hair, dandruff and book bindings too, right? These nasty things are running amok, getting all over peoples shoes and shit, and I was lucky enough to be near a door and get off the bus about a stop early, kicking silverfish off my feet as I exit the door. I walk into work 10 minutes late only to be informed on the elevator by a mildly attractive chick that I have a FUCKING SILVERFISH ON MY SHOULDER. Goddammit those fuckers were everywhere on that bus.
    Now I just want to go home and take a shower, but I'm afraid I'll start stabbing homeless junkies on the way home, so I guess I'll just get some more coffee and keep working.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

SOFT.

• lord234lord234 236 Posts

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

SOFT.

YES! 2 videos of giant centipedes devouring small mammals in one thread. i think they win

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    anybody ever run into any of these little buggers?

I found a couple of these bastards dead in the bottom of the plastic sleeves of some of my raers... have never EVER seen them anywhere else in my house. Basically harmless, but beware... they love the glue that holds books and also record jackets[/b] together.

Those little shits be all over your damn house!! SPRAY!! Get some stuff called Home Defense by ORTHO. Last six months. Kills everything!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Silverfish also love carpets I think, cause they like to eat the dead skin that rubs off your feet.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I also have the life in the undergrowth video out from netflix right now. That film is amazing. SIlverfish are nothing to be afraid of, unless you value your paper goods. THis ont he other hand, is frightening:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I also have the life in the undergrowth video out from netflix right now. That film is amazing. SIlverfish are nothing to be afraid of, unless you value your paper goods. THis ont he other hand, is frightening:

I saw one of those inside the ruin of an old slave house on the island Tamara on the coast of Guinea. Ugly! I took a picture and was scared shitless this thing might jump in my face... uhh... disgusting. I'll post the pic in two weeks when I'm back at my own computer...

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    i remember those fuckers when i used to live in GA...now in cali its all about the EARWIGS

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i remember those fuckers when i used to live in GA...now in cali its all about the EARWIGS

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I'm really excited about this being about bugs instead of another thread about records I don't have or even know about. and I'm guessing there is a band out there with this title but i'm not wasting even ten seconds on google.
    BTW They only freak me out in the basement late at night in low light usually after a few drinks. They move like the flash!

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yesterday out in LI I saw these things flying around the yard that looked like wasps but were the size of dragon flies!

I was scared shitless. Sween, you see these things around? My dude said "them come up otta the ground."

• Options
    Yesterday out in LI I saw these things flying around the yard that looked like wasps but were the size of dragon flies!

I was scared shitless. Sween, you see these things around? My dude said "them come up otta the ground."

Yeah cityboy, they're called gnats.

Nah, I know what you're talking about. It's some wierd wasp-looking thing that doesn't go after humans. They eat wood, and locusts. It's a bugout watching them kill a locust. And yeah they come up otta the ground. Our wasp spray from work doesn't even kill them, who knows what the fuck they are. Probably from outer space, like the locusts which orbit the earth and shoot into the ground at night when they're ready to invade.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I've seen hornets around the size of my fist. Perhaps it's one of them.

• Options
    I've seen hornets around the size of my fist. Perhaps it's one of them.

Those are birds.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I didnt know Silverfish liked record glue. I just stomped one two nights ago near my crates. I never see them.

I cant fuck w/ these mofos....

YellowJackets