Ghostface or Beatnuts w/ Greg Nice.....?

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Minneapolis seems to have a lot of shows going almost every night and tonight I have this choice to make... Beatnuts with Greg Nice or Ghostface? What to do, what to do....

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "...white people like Ghostface because he makes 50-Cent seem like Big Daddy Kane..."

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    I feel your pain. My vote is Ghostface though...free and the Varsity is a great venue.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    IMy vote is Ghostface

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Go see Beatnuts with Greg Nice... Ghost will more than likely be back around town, but Greg Nice may not. Plus thos joints GN did with Beatnuts are kinda ill...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Ghostface hates new rap as much as you do. Go to that show.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    beatnuts it was! they smashed it! good to see those cats and greg nice was bonkers! he did dwyck, funky rhyme and sometimes i rhyme slow. les had on the camo clarks. stupid ugly girls dancing on stage. and why, WHY were there 9 (yes 9) lame-ass local opening groups? a couple of them were homies but yo, keep that shit simple and only have a couple openers and a tight dj. i felt like i was there 5 hours and ready to go by the time the 7th group got on. and that was move than an hour before the nuts were to be on!!! oh well, glad i went. i wonder how ghost was...

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i wonder how ghost was...

i couldn't make it...anyone?

• Ghostface show was DOPE.

I went early and caught Rhythm Roots Allstars doing soundcheck. As far as contemporary funk groups go, these guys are on top of it. 8-piece group who knows how to play hip hop instrumentals and keep them sounding like hip hop instrumentals and not goofy jam-band frat party funk.

DJ Ayres was rockin' it on the opening set tip. I had to leave to go play a shitty gig downtown, but when I came back, the place was packed and Ghost was doing "Holla." Apparently Ayres' set was super fresh and people were cheering for him anshit. Go Minneapolis. The band was really good, the venue was really good, Ghost was really good. Yo Otto! What's really good?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Yo Otto! What's really good?

chicken wings from pepitos, clean white sneakers and golden oldies!

what downtown gig was this? if i had know i'd have shot through on a sup mission! i had forgot ayres was rockin at the varsity or that may have swayed my decision!

• Yo Otto! What's really good?

chicken wings from pepitos, clean white sneakers and golden oldies!

what downtown gig was this? if i had know i'd have shot through on a sup mission! i had forgot ayres was rockin at the varsity or that may have swayed my decision!

my rap group (Men of Leisure) was playing at 7th street entry...

ghostface + live band + amazing venue + plants on stage

VS

15 people watching nerd rap + power outage at first avenue

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

LOL! Ain't zat zee truf'!

And co-sign On the Rhythm Room All-Stars. Out of all the Scion Bands I liked them the most. In their opening set the do an indentical but great cover version of Mary Jane Hooper's "Reasons" amongst other jawns.

Shit they where even Little Brothers band and made 9th's so-so beats sound really good.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

LOL! Ain't zat zee truf'!

And co-sign On the Rhythm Room All-Stars. Out of all the Scion Bands I liked them the most. In their opening set the do an indentical but great cover version of Mary Jane Hooper's "Reasons" amongst other jawns.

Shit they where even Little Brothers band and made 9th's so-so beats sound really good.

better than El Michels Affair?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    arrrg. Shit I meant Orgone. R.R. All-Stars do do a great job backing Ghostface up but their solo show is whatevs.

I've never seen El Michaels but honestly all the bands mentioned are all on the same level of musicianship and the only thing that seperates them is their actual output on CD/LP. All those Orgone & R.R. dudes all just switch in out and out of other bands (Connie Price, The Breakestra, The Rebirth etc...) similar to El Michales and the Budos Band