I watched the playoff game the night before, and I'd be like
    "no way, Tottenham were playing Arsenal, dude!"

BUY STOCK IN FSC

Anyway, I love hockey too much to stop watching, and have been
    a Bruins fan too long to stop caring - but it's also nice to live
    in an area where I can go to a BC or BU game and see next year's
    NHL players play with passion and without pay, for less than 25%
    of the cost of a Bruins ticket. Lots of cute girls, too

• SoI, can you EVER see a professional soccer league in America even rising to an NHL level of popularity?

I dig the World Cup but that's it for me for Soccer. USA.

Heavyweight Boxing: I dig Klitschko fights. Hope he can unify the belts.

Hold tight, Rock, you can smell the pigskin....it's gonna be a great year.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    SoI, can you EVER see a professional soccer league in America even rising to an NHL level of popularity?

The USA/Mexico final of the Gold Cup outdid any
    game of the Stanley Cup finals in ratings last month.

Granted, the majority of the viewers were watching the
    spanish-language broadcast on Univision, but that is still
    astounding, and a sign that one sport is on it's way up, the
    other on it's way down. And to answer your question directly,
    yes, I could see a soccer team - in California or Texas especially -
    being more popular (better ratings and higher ticket revenue) than
    the local NHL franchise. MLS games often draw larger crowds than
    NHL games or NBA games in some markets. Face it, we grew up looking
    at the sport as something completely foreign and marginal, but there
    is a whole generation of American kids who have grown up playing and
    watching the game. Things do change, you know.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    SoI, can you EVER see a professional soccer league in America even rising to an NHL level of popularity?

The USA/Mexico final of the Gold Cup outdid any
    game of the Stanley Cup finals in ratings last month.

Granted, the majority of the viewers were watching the
    spanish-language broadcast on Univision, but that is still
    astounding, and a sign that one sport is on it's way up, the
    other on it's way down. And to answer your question directly,
    yes, I could see a soccer team - in California or Texas especially -
    being more popular (better ratings and higher ticket revenue) than
    the local NHL franchise. MLS games often draw larger crowds than
    NHL games or NBA games in some markets. Face it, we grew up looking
    at the sport as something completely foreign and marginal, but there
    is a whole generation of American kids who have grown up playing and
    watching the game. Things do change, you know.

You can't really attract masses of people without real talent though. It's true with any sport I think.

A Professional basketball league in Japan was made a few years back. Once the novelty wears off, the real hoop heads are gonna be asking? Where's the talent?

• covecove 1,566 Posts

Fuck the NHL, though, seriously.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I desperately love baseball, but I boycotted baseball for two years after the 94 strike. .

THIS WHOLE YEAR MY MY YEAR.

The EXPOS were robbed!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    The new line from know-nothing American commentators is the same line many UK commentators have been saying for years: that he's not that good.

Agreed, you only need to look at his appearances for Real Madrid towards the end of their season to get a glimpse of his quality... Not many better passers or crossers of the ball than him on his day...
    Also, i saw that corny Victoria Beckham program, yeah loads of it was staged, but she actually is self deprecating, she's in the UK press constantly and she's been like that in every interview/show i've seen...

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    soccer in america wont catch till the talent level is competitive with that of european leagues outside of the big 3 (england, italy, spain). that means NO SALARY CAP. try building a team with about 10 mill + one exception....its a team game that requires many good players not one great player with mediocrity around it.

that said....WORST WEEK FOR SPORTS??? you sound like ESPN

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

And the MLS and David Beckham can't crack the front page.

thank god. who gives a fuck. his wife pises me of.

To be honest: his wife ain't half bad on TV. She comes across as pretty witty and funny, dare I say. I think she's definitely got the brains in that family.

uh-oh! you sound like you watched victoria's coming to america special on nbc last week. you know that stuff is all pr and staged right?

i remember when mick jagger had his on abc and they showed him in a limo coming from wyclef's studio and he was talking about rap on his celly. they tried to make him look good but that's a lot of work

Edith, I just spent the last 3.5 months making a reality TV show on making the cheerleaders; i know how to stage some TV, and what a producer and editor can do.

In all seriousness, though...she's good in front of a camera. There is only so much you can polish a terd, and she sure ain't a terd. I'm not gonna start TiVoing the shit, but given that the other team at my work is the NE Revolution, we've been following this story pretty closely.

Kind of good viewing but I really thought she came across as rude, stupid, self-obsessed and bitchy despite the fact that this was a PR puff from Simon Fuller. From direct experience I can tell you she is all of these. David has the brain synapse out of those two.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I could easily see Soccer becoming the fourth most popular team sport in this country, eclipsing the NHL.

That doesn't mean it will top NASCAR, Golf, or Xtreme Sports, though...That said, it is a good time for soccer to make moves, so go for it.

And, as for Edith and Jaymack's take on my take of reality TV...Dudes, no shit there are writers and shit is staged. Anyone who doesn't know that shit is living under a rock and/or doesn't want to know. Everyone should know that reality TV is the last place to look for REALITY.

But, as I said...She's sort of compelling. Compared to say...Paula Abdul (whose PR & Handlers shouldn't be fired, but shot) Victoria Becks comes across like Kate Hepburn. As I said...I don't watch the show. But, she can carry a show- she's good on TV, and smarter than a rock, as well as her husband.

• SPORTS AND REALITY TV = ONE GREAT TASTE AND ONE AWFUL TASTE AND THEY DON'T TASTE GREAT TOGETHER.

• SoI needs a sports board that is the equivalent of Waxidermy where he can talk about the MLS and NHL and hate on Fantasy Football which is only like one of the greatest things ever.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    SPORTS AND REALITY TV = ONE GREAT TASTE AND ONE AWFUL TASTE AND THEY DON'T TASTE GREAT TOGETHER.

That's funny.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When these kids realize that Beckham makes more money in Endorsements that Alex Rodriegez....

With the constant influx of immigrants to America its inevitable for Soccer to grow.

NBA & MLB are grabbib kids from all over the globe.

I dont know what the hell Football is doin.....oh yeah controlling their homegrown monsters.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    SPORTS AND REALITY TV = ONE GREAT TASTE AND ONE AWFUL TASTE AND THEY DON'T TASTE GREAT TOGETHER.

dont look at me! i didn't bring up posh spice on tv

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    soccer in america wont catch

I was living in NYC when the Cosmos signed Pele and announced that Soccer had arrived in the U.S.

Not in my lifetime, I guarantee it.

(Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm old and my lifetime may only be a few more years....damn young whippersnappers)

soccer in america wont catch

I was living in NYC when the Cosmos signed Pele and announced that Soccer had arrived in the U.S.

Remember the radio commercials.....dat dat - datdatdat - dat dat dat...COSMOS!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yes, the New York Cosmos versus the Tampa Bay Rowdies...look it up.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    In the words of the great Hank Hill....

"Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."

"Dad, why do you hate everything you don't understand?"

"Bobby, I don't hate you."

"No, I mean soccer."

"Oh yeah...I HATE soccer."

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I don't know what people are talking about. Canada just had the world cup under 20's.
    It broke many attendance records. Something like 1.3 million tickets sold.

This is in fucking Canada for an under 20's tournament.

As far as soccer in the US goes...

They just had the CONCACAF Gold Cup a bit back and the game between the US & Mexico drew 41% more viewers than the Stanley Cup. And that was just on Univision.

Television viewership of soccer in the U.S. is at an all-time high.

It will be no problem taking over hockey in the US.

With how much it's played at a youth level. I have no doubt it will be big in the US in the next 20 years.

I don't know what people are talking about. Canada just had the world cup under 20's.
    It broke many attendance records. Something like 1.3 million tickets sold.

This is in fucking Canada for an under 20's tournament.

As far as soccer in the US goes...

They just had the CONCACAF Gold Cup a bit back and the game between the US & Mexico drew 41% more viewers than the Stanley Cup. And that was just on Univision.

Television viewership of soccer in the U.S. is at an all-time high.

It will be no problem taking over hockey in the US.

With how much it's played at a youth level. I have no doubt it will be big in the US in the next 20 years.

Americans dont think Mexican Mike/Zimbabwe Zeke/Portuguese Paul/Colombian Craig's viewership counts.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The new line from know-nothing American commentators is the same line many UK commentators have been saying for years: that he's not that good.

seriously this is the line that some of the commentators have been towing in print as of late, talmbout "here in the US he is known as one of the greatest to play the game, but those that know shit about soccer know he's actually not that great, is a one-trick pony, hasn't won shit in years, etc...."

I know, it's stupid.

Soccer and MMA will one day be on par with hockey and NASCAR (in terms of number of viewers, though less region-specific). But they will never achieve the status of football or basketball or baseball in this country.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    As much as i am not a huge fan of the MLS current procedures (no point system, playoffs, salary caps, seasons not aligning with most of N. Hemisphere, etc.)

I do applaud them for trying to get teams into smaller stadiums. Denver & Toronto games look fun as hell, primarily because its 15K people in a 15K stadium, as opposed to 15K people in an NFL stadium.

Soccer will be big in the US one day soon. Too bad the SS masses don't realize that just cuz you ain't watching, doesn't mean that a lot of other folks arent paying attention.

Soccer will be big in the US one day soon. Too bad the SS masses don't realize that just cuz you ain't watching, doesn't mean that a lot of other folks arent paying attention.

"Fuck Elvis, I'm listening to Perry Como!"

Soccer just needs more superstars in America.

I read recently that a college Lacrosse game had more cable TV viewers than a New Jersey Devils game.

Hockey is dead.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I desperately love baseball, but I boycotted baseball for two years after the 94 strike. .

THIS WHOLE YEAR MY MY YEAR.

The EXPOS were robbed!

"Fuck Elvis, I'm listening to Perry Como!"

Soccer just needs more superstars in America.

Soccer is the Perry Como of Sports

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    SoI needs a sports board that is the equivalent of Waxidermy where he can talk about the MLS and NHL and hate on Fantasy Football which is only like one of the greatest things ever.

www.weirdsportsthatsuck.com

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

There may be hope for the NHL afterall.

bicycling = tour de france disaster

are people following what has been going on this week??

the top rider just got kicked off his team for suspician of doping. dude had been leading the race for something like 7 straight days.