Worst Week In American Sports History

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
NFL = Michael VickNBA = Crooked RefereeMLB = Barry BondsThere may be hope for the NHL afterall.

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

There may be hope for the NHL afterall.

And the MLS and David Beckham can't crack the front page.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

MLB = Barry Bonds

easy man. he's sitting out tonight (just gave away my tickets). but he'll be back. he may not break the record at home, but he'll break it just the same.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

thank god. who gives a fuck. his wife pises me of.

To be honest: his wife ain't half bad on TV. She comes across as pretty witty and funny, dare I say. I think she's definitely got the brains in that family.

And, while I don't want rootless traded, fuck bonds.

don't worry mayne I'm holding out.

don't worry mayne I'm holding out.

Get that guaranteed contract, mang. No NFL money...

I think she's definitely got the brains in that family.

I'm loving all the hate on Becks though. The new line from know-nothing American commentators is the same line many UK commentators have been saying for years: that he's not that good. fuck it though. he can definitely hang over here. though I still won't be fucking with MLS anytime soon.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

The NHL got it good. They get to hit people in full public view and they don't get bashed for it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The new line from know-nothing American commentators is the same line many UK commentators have been saying for years: that he's not that good.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I think she's definitely got the brains in that family.

I'm loving all the hate on Becks though. The new line from know-nothing American commentators is the same line many UK commentators have been saying for years: that he's not that good. fuck it though. he can definitely hang over here. though I still won't be fucking with MLS anytime soon.

Um, he's played 10 minutes of MLS football, how could there be any criticism?

b/w

Americans should not be calling Beckham, "Becks" like the Brits do. It doesn't sound right.

Americans should not be calling Beckham, "Becks" like the Brits do. It doesn't sound right.

What should they call him?

Hammy?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

To be honest: his wife ain't half bad on TV. She comes across as pretty witty and funny, dare I say. I think she's definitely got the brains in that family.

uh-oh! you sound like you watched victoria's coming to america special on nbc last week. you know that stuff is all pr and staged right?

i remember when mick jagger had his on abc and they showed him in a limo coming from wyclef's studio and he was talking about rap on his celly. they tried to make him look good but that's a lot of work

uh-oh! you sound like you watched victoria's coming to america special on nbc last week. you know that stuff is all pr and staged right?

i remember when mick jagger had his on abc and they showed him in a limo coming from wyclef's studio and he was talking about rap on his celly. they tried to make him look good but that's a lot of work

Edith, I just spent the last 3.5 months making a reality TV show on making the cheerleaders; i know how to stage some TV, and what a producer and editor can do.

In all seriousness, though...she's good in front of a camera. There is only so much you can polish a terd, and she sure ain't a terd. I'm not gonna start TiVoing the shit, but given that the other team at my work is the NE Revolution, we've been following this story pretty closely.

Edith, I just spent the last 3.5 months making a reality TV show on making the cheerleaders; i know how to stage some TV, and what a producer and editor can do.

In all seriousness, though...she's good in front of a camera. There is only so much you can polish a terd, and she sure ain't a terd. I'm not gonna start TiVoing the shit, but given that the other team at my work is the NE Revolution, we've been following this story pretty closely.

she's got a good future in acting is all i'm saying. some pr person probably pitched that self-deprecating humor is the best way to humanize her. her coming off as 'charming' during the confrontation with perez hilton and that whole blow-up doll papparazzi decoy - that stuff was so staged! seriously, you really believed that? this show is basically her idea. she wouldn't grant any interviews unless it was to promote this show

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    im riding w/ the head on this one.
    she's a dolt.

totally. the show was amusing, but come on. how hard did they try to pound her saying "that's major" into the audience's head? so transparently desperate for that to catch on like paris hilton's "that's hot"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

Hey, at least they're all miles ahead of Professional Boxing. I'm pretty sure the heavyweight champion of the world right now is who gives a shit[/b].

Plus, you left out cycling.

Fuck the NHL, though, seriously.

i know how to stage some TV, and what a producer and editor can do.

yeah, but sometimes it's not just a producer and an editor but an actual writer. tyra banks is a union buster, the writers for ANTM wanted to join the writer's guild and she shut that down because then everyone would know that shit wasn't spontaneous

that said i am waiting for top chef to come on. i am a junkie when it comes to this shit

NFL = Michael Vick

NBA = Crooked Referee

MLB = Barry Bonds

Hey, at least they're all miles ahead of Professional Boxing. I'm pretty sure the heavyweight champion of the world right now is who gives a shit[/b].

Plus, you left out cycling.

i like tennis. am i soft?

Tennis is being verrry quiet right now, hoping to escape notice.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Martina Navratilova lives down the street from me and looks like she could kick my ass.....so I'd say no, you're not soft.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Man, everyone that I've talked to who's watch the show has a better opinion on her. I thought it was alright.

I'm more tired of hearing people in North America talk shit about soccer when they don't like the sport.

Though, I now have a new found respect for Gumbel.

Martina Navratilova lives down the street from me and looks like she could kick my ass.....so I'd say no, you're not soft.

really? i like her. i think serena could really kick martina's ass though, so she isn't infallible tough-wise

In the words of the great Hank Hill....

"Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."

really? i like her.

Tis true....the dude that played Dobbs on "F Troop" and Caretaker in the original "Longest Yard" lives on my street too.

In the words of the great Hank Hill....

"Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."

Typical.

Just remember - eventually, all these American kids that
    have grown up playing soccer as their #1 sport will be adults -
    it will take a couple of generations, but one thing nobody can
    deny - soccer is the only sport in this country that is actually
    GAINING in popularity, as all the others either fall off or at
    best level out. Unless you consider NASCAR a sport, which it most
    certainly is not. Pro Wrestling is more of a sport than auto racing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Seriously, I never got how soccer - a sport played by millions of people's kids (if not themselves) manages to earn such scorn.

It's not even the coming of age of that gen that will result in greater participation in American soocer - it's also the influx of immigrants for whom football has nothing to do with pigskins and hail mary passes.

• Might be the worst week in world sports too with the tour de France scandal, the bombings after the Iraq soccer victory...

The British open was good, though

Sorry SOI, I hate to be a hater but...the NHL was the first professional sports league to eliminate an entire season on a lockout. When it comes down to it, we support sports leagues because they provide the top level sports entertainment, but when the league that has the highest average fan ticket price is willing to nix an entire season in a quibble over money, why the f*ck should I be a booster for any NHL team? I desperately love baseball, but I boycotted baseball for two years after the 94 strike. Not one dollar, didn't watch it on TV, nothing. A pretty empty gesture, but there you have it.