Bath, Maine .....What to do???....

LazerLazer 796 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
gonna be there for a week. what do i do??? 7/27 -- 8/4.

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Your avatar says it all...

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    my good man,

That is a brooke trout in my avatar. I live on the Kinnikinnic river in Wisco. HOME of the killer BROOKIES!!!!!! I don't need that in my life. I need lobster, et. all. What else is good??????

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I'm not a fishing type so hey... but I did grow up in new england.

For lobster just go to the nearest dock, or ask a local. Best not to plan it.

Portland is a cool quaint city, Acadia is beautiful but crowded. I spent a week or two a summer on Fry Island as a kid.

Ocean swimming is not really the order of business - water is chilly and beaches are rocky - but there's always that.

For serious hiking check out white mountains in NH.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    What do you want to do.

Record shop

or Vaca?

Brunswick & Bath are slim pickings for wax.

Portland has some spots though.

I live in Portland.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    i'm actually going to turn this over to my wife, so say hi to lady kitchenknight....

Hi there...I can't believe I am actually posting on here. Usually I just ask my husband when he's going to get off Soul Strut.

So Bath, Maine. I spent many a summer just down the coast in Small Point. Here are some recommendations.

1. Reny's on Front Street
    Sort of like the Maine version of Building 19. Do you have Building 19? Think big discount/closeout store.

2. Front Street Deli
    Also on Front Street. Good place for a sandwich.

3. Salvation Army
    Right off the highway in the plaza with the Shaws/Stop & Shop.

4. Drive over the bridge and hit Dairy Queen
    If you pass through Bath on Rt. 1- just keep going and you'll go over the bridge. It has a nice view of BWI (Bath Iron Works) and the battleships. Dairy Queen awaits you on the other side.

5. Red's
    If you go over the bridge, keep going to Wicasset and eat at Red's. Best lobster roll around.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2959
    (Funky16Corners will back this up...)

6. Bounty
    If you want to see some real townie action, head to the Bounty (aka. the Mount-me). This is a bar/dance club inside the Holiday Inn. You will so see some 80's hair.
    http://www.bountytaverne.com/

7. Beach
    If you have time, head down to Popham Beach in Phippsburg.
    http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/doc/parks/find_one_name.pl?park_id=22

I guess that is it. Hope you have fun. Back over to my husband.

• 5. Red's
    If you go over the bridge, keep going to Wicasset and eat at Red's. Best lobster roll around.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2959
    (Funky16Corners will back this up...)

Indeed I will! Sadly, when we were in Maine this April, we drove all the way up to Wiscasset to hit Reds and they weren't opening til the following day.
    The lobster rolls there are the best we've ever had (and the onion rings are superb).

PS There is vinyl to be had in Portland.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Do you like beer? The Allagash Brewery looks to be about 45 mins from Bath. They make great Belgian stlye beers.

• secret radio shack record store (south of there) used to fucking rule. a warehouse of unpicked radio stations recs in the back. heard they sold it all off....
    and southwest maine has Mike's, which is interesting too.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    ive gone through all of that Radio Shack.

Mikes is pretty good.

East Corinth is the way to go ... if you can get in.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    thanks all. Must say this place is great. Just cooked lobster. Staying on an ocean cove, too gorgeous . Staying in a cottage from 1800s posting from an iPhone. Will be here for five more days, goodwills,Portland and disc golf are in the mix. iPhones are amazing.