THE WEEKLY DOSE OF COMEUPS -------->

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
found some pretty good shit like shuggie otis and beggars opera along with some other stuff for close to nothing at a thrift yesterday but havent really had much time for crate diggin for a while, heres some modest comeups from the last few weeks or more... mostly thrifties/fleas (please do not sweat the ozkent, it is the re-ish which by the way sounds and are packaged very nicely!!!)

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Picked up a pristine Don Blackman LP for 50 cents yesterday.

Listened to it and was left wondering what the hype is about.

It's already up on eBay.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

That's in GREAT shape, rey. If i may, where'd you cop? Real World, or online?

I could use a real upgrade on my Acid, though it plays like a champ.
    Viva la gold label.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

It's already up on eBay.

i always wait talking down about a record till after ive got rid of it..especially if its expensive!!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

It's already up on eBay.

i always wait talking down about a record till after ive got rid of it..especially if its expensive!!

It's a dope record though. To each their own.... I don't get excited over acid folk banjo plucking psych rock but some people do!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

That's in GREAT shape, rey. If i may, where'd you cop? Real World, or online?

I could use a real upgrade on my Acid, though it plays like a champ.
    Viva la gold label.
    I won/bought it on eBay yesterday. I already have a pretty clean mono copy but I couldn't pass on an upgrade.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What is up with that Electric Mud album? If that is the notorious Muddy Waters LP, I've never seen it with that particular cover design before.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just found out that my wife's late uncle was Shuggie Otis' best friend growing up. Cool!

What is up with that Electric Mud album? If that is the notorious Muddy Waters LP, I've never seen it with that particular cover design before.

the one in the pic is a english pressing, i have another one though, a US press with that exact same color design, to my knowledge its the second pressing that looks like that..

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i have another one though, a US press with that exact same color design, to my knowledge its the second pressing that looks like that..

I thought the two US presses were white on black (first pressing) and black on white (second pressing). No rainbow mess on either of them, but I could be mistaken.

i have another one though, a US press with that exact same color design, to my knowledge its the second pressing that looks like that..

I thought the two US presses were white on black (first pressing) and black on white (second pressing). No rainbow mess on either of them, but I could be mistaken.

maybe its a 3rd pressing then???

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

yeah, I have never ever seen a US press with rainbow colors.

OK, i just checked them and it looks like the one which i always thought was US is infact a US vinyl inside a UK cover...i actually never noticed that before, ive had this record like forever so its about time i looked at it proberly!!
    thanks soulstrut

OK, i just checked them and it looks like the one which i always thought was US is infact a US vinyl inside a UK cover...i actually never noticed that before, ive had this record like forever so its about time i looked at it proberly!!
    thanks soulstrut

Disqualified!

also found these nu-psych records last month or so, with the 45 inside the lp cover, not sure if they are worth anything, if anybody know the delley please enlighten me...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Only third pressing I know of was black on white with no gatefold, and the back cover reproduced in B&W (from the mid-'70s when All Platinum owned Chess).

thanks soulstrut

Disqualified!

dawg, back when i started out in this game i didnt give a fuck bout pressings, it was more about the music (and the drumbreaks )... not so much about value and shit!!!

• found some pretty good shit like shuggie otis and beggars opera along with some other stuff for close to nothing at a thrift yesterday but havent really had much time for crate diggin for a while, heres some modest comeups from the last few weeks or more... mostly thrifties/fleas (please do not sweat the ozkent, it is the re-ish which by the way sounds and are packaged very nicely!!!)

the record with the chimp looks cool. does he play on a computer or a reel to reel? i've seen the record before... what is it?

Only third pressing I know of was black on white with no gatefold, and the back cover reproduced in B&W (from the mid-'70s when All Platinum owned Chess).

this one is not gatefold either........

thanks soulstrut

Disqualified!

dawg, back when i started out in this game i didnt give a fuck bout pressings, it was more about the music (and the drumbreaks )... not so much about value and shit!!!

Blasphemy.

found some pretty good shit like shuggie otis and beggars opera along with some other stuff for close to nothing at a thrift yesterday but havent really had much time for crate diggin for a while, heres some modest comeups from the last few weeks or more... mostly thrifties/fleas (please do not sweat the ozkent, it is the re-ish which by the way sounds and are packaged very nicely!!!)

the record with the chimp looks cool. does he play on a computer or a reel to reel? i've seen the record before... what is it?

J*n, you would most definately love that record!!!

its the ozkent reissue, turkish funk instrumentals, apparently mega

• J*n, you would most definately looooove that record!!!

its the ozkent reissue, turkish funk instrumentals

oh... turkish music. cute! do they sing?

J*n, you would most definately looooove that record!!!

its the ozkent reissue, turkish funk instrumentals

oh... turkish music. cute! do they sing?

only inst jams...a few pretty dope ones too!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

J*n, you would most definately love that record!!!

its the ozkent reissue, turkish funk instrumentals, apparently mega

daaamn, thats what the actual cover looks like? ive seen that reissue and figured it was some new shit...awesome

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

It's already up on eBay.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Here are a few finds, and buys from fellow strutters....you know, the usual suspects
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Cosaan Orchestra de Dakar
    Rocksteady Coxsone Style
    The Guitar and Banjo of Reverend Gary Davis
    T.P Orchestre Poly Rhythmo & Dougbe Antoine
    Richard Dimples Fields -- Ready For Anything
    Sofernu B in Dub 1980 Style
    Chet Baker & Crew
    Cadets -- Rockin' N' Reelin'

Went driving for Thrift stores with a friend and came across this African Grocery store. Called them up and asked if they have any African records (a total longshot) and the owner said he has a collection at home. We came back the next day and he brought 5 lp's in. Bought 3 of them because the others were Maskella, and Buari (good stuff, but easily available here). But the other 3 are great
    We asked if we could buy some more, he said he would go through his collection and bring about 20-30 pieces next time. I'm really excited.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

It's already up on eBay.

1. IMO people should be jocking Weldon Irvine's Sinbad LP way more than they do the Don Blackman LP. I say that because, Sinbad's a record that I've had forever that I'm not tyring to sell at any price due to me enjoying it so much over the years.

2. How is the Don Blackman LP that much better than the Nard LP? Is the hype strictly due to rarity?

3. My 50 cent Don Blackman LP has already been copped off of eBay for $79.99.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

My big find of....well, ever. Got for cheap.

I know at least a couple of you guys have this....its a local boston (medford) record, so I am itching to know more. The same producer did the Forest Terry 45. I am pretty sure there are 2 versions of this record, but I need to confirm that. If I remember right, the other one doesn't have "Rock" after the label name, like this one, but I could be mistaken. Confirm?

This was on Soul Boulders, right?

The flip is amazing too....its a slow Hendrix-ish rock thang.

-pj

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    PJ, nice find ... did you get that in a local store?
    (doubtful, unless it was IYE)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's already up on eBay.

What's that phrase?

'Heart of a Milkdud'?