finding out shit is worth a ton

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
anybody else ever picked up some shit you BARELY wanted because it was cheap, only to find out it was worth a lot of money later?i got some 45 a couple years ago for 50 cents only because it had some open congas at the beginning, today me and my co-worker were doing a general search for high-priced soul 45s on popsike today, lo and behold i see it on there for $500-800...i promptly went home and put that shit on ebay. nothing better than getting rid of a record you dont even like for $$$$...hopefully my VG copy will bring in some ok cash.heres a question: is it more exciting to find a record you already know is worth a lot of money for cheap, or blindly find some cheap shit only to find out later its worth some serious money?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    More exciting when you know... I love that rush when the record you flip past gives way to something you instantly recognise as raer.

Hopefully that will happen to me tomorrow!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I love both combined! When you find ish and you know it is def. raer but on the spot you don't know exactly how much and then you find out later aka peepsuck it. But hey, after all it is still all about the music. But nothing beats finding a grail for a eurodollar....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I found that REV.Columbus Mann record on TAMLA. On side is kind of scratched up so it sat in a pile of unlistened to stuff in the corner of my record room for a while. Then I was searching for something else on popsike and it came up between $200 and $500. Its really an average gospel record though and with the scratched up parts I couldn't really get any money for it. The old TAMLA lable is cool though.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I pulled this 7" (in VG++ shape) last weekend:

The seller was standing over me as I pulled it out of a stack of singles. There were some other great records in there as well but as I pulled this one out I was shaking so much the guy made a comment about it. Generaly I'm pretty good with the poker face but couldn't control it this time. Still got it for a dollar though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    All the time. Ako, what 45 did you find?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Bought Tabby Thomas 'One Day' for $2, listened to it once, didn't think much of it and then years later saw that sold it for big bucks on the bay. Sold my copy for $2000.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    A bit of both. All of us would like to find raers or the unopened shipment box from somewhere in New Orleans. If it's there, we brush it off, even if we know damn well no one else in town is looking for those records but of course "you never know". Or finding records for a dime, and then put them up on eBay and the final bit goes for $485. In the words of Brent Bourgeois, I don't mind at all.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Tabby Thomas 'One Day' ... listened to it once, didn't think much of

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Tabby Thomas 'One Day' ... listened to it once, didn't think much of

Yeah, a great double sided record in fact, deep flip. Just got filed away and didn't see the light of day for a long time. At least a couple of times a year I find things in the several hundred dollar range that make me ask, "when did I get that?". Shit happens when you've been collecting for a long time.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

heres a question: is it more exciting to find a record you already know is worth a lot of money for cheap, or blindly find some cheap shit only to find out later its worth some serious money?

the latter. only because of the surprise factor, like "oh shit, you don't say..." although finding a known raer for cheap provides a whole other form of adrenaline rush.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I've had a few $200-500 bombshells where I just happened to stumble on something on popsike that I'd been ignoring or only mildly appreciating from my crates, but examples in the $50 range are extremely common. I'm always amazed.

I had a copy of Unique Blend - "Yes I'm in Love" (Eastbound) laying around the shop not even in a sleeve. I let an English guy look through some 7" boxes that I hadn't priced yet and he pulled it out. Looked it up and saw that it had sold a few times for $600 plus. Gave the guy a chance to buy it for $250 but he balked. Later sold it on e-bay for around $550. Can't remember where I got it.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I recently had a 45 in my $2 sales box. I have had this box out at about half a dozen record swaps over the last 2 years, no one ever picked it up. It was Brenda Jones "Super Stroke". I didnt know it was a money record, couldnt find anything online. But I decided hit up Moerer's site and saw he was selling it for $300. So I put it up on soul-source.co.uk for $250 bucks before I went to bed the other night, and when I woke up I had a bunch of "whats your paypal address?" messages. The record gods were looking out for me, I must have some good record karma built up...also proves you cant know every record.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I was digging in a dusty old attic last year and there were records everywhere..LPS + 45s. the guy who was selling the stuff said that the 45s were 5 for a buck , so I was taking chances on stuff even if it looked halfway interesting.

I picked up this for 20 cents:

(my auction result)

When I popsiked it after listening to the record I pretty much crapped my pants but i held it together for the most part.

It would be more exciting to find a $$$ record you already know , but when you find one you have no idea about it is damn exciting too especially when you aren't crazy about the track, it makes it so much easier to flip without hesitation.

• found a copy of Kathleen Emery - why must i be a motherless child 45 with a mint sleeve last year for $2, put it up on ebay seven days later some dude from japan paypaled me $480 hollerrrrrr

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I found that REV.Columbus Mann record on TAMLA. On side is kind of scratched up so it sat in a pile of unlistened to stuff in the corner of my record room for a while. Then I was searching for something else on popsike and it came up between $200 and $500. Its really an average gospel record though and with the scratched up parts I couldn't really get any money for it. The old TAMLA lable is cool though.

Not that its valuable but Columbus Mann has a fantastic gospel soul release on ABC/ Peacock from the Mid-70's that is criminally slept on.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Not that its valuable but Columbus Mann has a fantastic gospel soul release on ABC/ Peacock from the Midseventies that is criminally slept on.

I have a couple of ABC/Peacock soul gospel records that are really good. I can't think of the titles off the top of my head, but seems like a good lable for that type of stuff. Also the recording quality is a shit ton better then some of the private gospel stuff I have.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Found this http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=280095631958 last week in the 3 for a $1 bins, because it looked cool and was cheap...Then when I found out it was worth loot, I got a warm fuzzy feeling! The best thing is that it is shitty 80's modern soul, which i'm not a big fan of...Found their other 12" in the same stash, which I like alot better, but it only like a $20 record...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    $1 at thrift store on Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Every time I find Quintessence Sonoma Rag for $1 I shred my clothing while it's still on my body and run naked and howling into the woods for about 2 days.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    yall deep LP dudes is small time.

THIS RECORD IS SHIT and I almost threw it away in an ebay "soul 45 lot:"

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4015177328

just when I thought I knew what Northern sounded like too.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    All the time. Ako, what 45 did you find?

IMG src=http://www.popsike.com/pix/20040720/4026036985.jpg>

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    LA heads know the deal....but I used to practically pay rent with the BS I'd sell from Aaron's. Bullshit private folk records (( http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4727057289 )) for $9.00....crazy soundtracks that were cool but I have no use for and I'm not going to listen to (( http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4004198456 )) also for $9.00...just shit for days.

The hard part for me is when I find something of medium high value that I really like.
    If a record is worth $500 and up then I have no problem getting rid of it.
    If a record is worth under $50 then I have no guilt about keeping it (and not selling it in my shop or online).
    It's those records in between that are tough. Sometimes I'll play the record I'm on the fence about for my wife (who doesn't know which records are hyped or have big reputations) and if she doesn't absolutely think it's great (and not just pretty good) then I'm selling it every time.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I like picking up a record on a hunch and then finding out that it's worth $$$ later more.

When I started to get into collecting soul/jazz/funk I picked up 100% Pure Poison on the cover alone. Had not the faintest clue what was on the record. Still hang on to it even though I've had some dudes offer me good money for it.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

"Actual tune is "False Rasta"

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    Picked these one up a few years back
    for 50 cents Australian each.

To my surprise...

what the....

Holy s#@t....

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    copped that SMOKE "Oh love" on Mo'Soul for fifty cents in the CHI knew it sounded tight but didn't at the time know it was worth cheese.