Armand Van Helden

40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    haha, that whole vid was shot on South 5th in Wburg, but those retro kids all hang out on B'way and Spring

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    useful but not great. love the original

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I found that video and version(so Armand) very gratifying. Me like.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Filter-house isn't dead, it just gets better filmclips.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is dope. I like that AVH still finds a way to stay relevant.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is definitely an improvement over a lot of the weird rock shit that was on his last album

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    flashback

Sources say that the original song is "Dance With You" by Carrie Lucas 1978. Does the original deserve a listen?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    classic material
    "flowerz" off that album is just about perfect
    (armand i mean, haven't heard the original for 'u don't know me')

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    flashback

Sources say that the original song is "Dance With You" by Carrie Lucas 1978. Does the original deserve a listen?

"Dance with you" is a turd. The only reason I've kept this LP (In Danceland) is because the intro to the title track was sampled for "Don't you Wanna?" from the Rise Above ep by Nightsource on Naked Music.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    flashback

"Dance with you" is a turd. The only reason I've kept this LP (In Danceland) is because the intro to the title track was sampled for "Don't you Wanna?" from the Rise Above ep by Nightsource on Naked Music.

This is a reason to keep a "turd"? Because it was sampled by another turd of a House record?

But let me get back on topic, Armand knows how to get paid. That song doesn't particularly appeal to me, but it definitely serves it's purpose. Hopefully he will inspire other house producers to try and make hit records again that everyone in club land can enjoy, and not just the capoeira set.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Props to Vash money for merking the video though....be on the look!!!!!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    haha, that whole vid was shot on South 5th in Wburg, but those retro kids all hang out on B'way and Spring

those kids all walked by my work the other day and the guy i work with was like "oh shit, the juice crew!"

it was funny

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    oscar!

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    ...other house producers to try and make hit records again that everyone in club land can enjoy, and not just the capoeira set.

The capoeira set?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That's great. It sounds like Freeez or some old John Robie/C-Bank joint. I like Armand Van Helden's style, the way he applies a hip-hop dynamic to house music. "You Don't Know Me" is still one of my favourite house records of the last decade; just a couple of loops, a vocal and some hittin' drums. It sounds like he did the whole thing in the sampler.

flashback

Yeah, definitely, but he fucking kills it on this track. I love this record.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think i just love the vocal performance on the original too much to lose it for the house mix

i think i just love the vocal performance on the original too much to lose it for the house mix

I always forget that this version is the o.g. An acts called Degrees Of Motion had the hit in the UK with a house version in 1991, which still gets regular spins at old-school house nights. I didn't even know it was a Siedah Garrett song until years later.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Actually I don't like the Armand take at all. I like the video though.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i remember a time being interested that he did some beats on this:

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    this kinda stuff plagues most uk dancefloors, get back to doing stuff like 'u don't know me' mr. helden now!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    the song is kind of bland...the video is nice though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    YAY WE'RE IN WILLIAMSBURG WEARING 90S GEAR

• 1992 and no 'Lo being represented? Whut!?!?!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Someone close this thread immediately.
    ok 'whitebelt'

"1992" is a monthly party that oscar and vashtie do. they play some good stuff.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    "1992" is a monthly party that oscar and vashtie do. they play some good stuff.

They don't dj... They host the party...

there you go. i think i was there when you played, so YOU play good music. i think you played only ewe.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    there you go. i think i was there when you played, so YOU play good music. i think you played only ewe.

Yes sir!

• I'm down for both AVH tracks.

I like to poarty and make poarty, yes.