The Host

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Comes out tomorrow on DVD.

(no spoilers por favor)

Comments

• sweet.

missed it in the theater, heard nothing but good things...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    apparently Hard Boiled is also being released on DVD if it hasnt already been...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    This is a great horror monster movie with a lot of comedy in it. Saw it in the theater when it had its limited run. Well worth getting on DVD.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'm sorry. I'm a whiner and a complainer...but I got to say - what the hell were people so amped on this movie for? It sucked! The humor was shitty slapstick at best and the fuckin thing WOULD NOT END. And the supposed message with the chemicals? Give me a fucking break. This was pony loaf.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm sorry. I'm a whiner and a complainer...but I got to say - what the hell were people so amped on this movie for? It sucked! The humor was shitty slapstick at best and the fuckin thing WOULD NOT END. And the supposed message with the chemicals? Give me a fucking break. This was pony loaf.

Disagreed. This was the best monster movie in ages, and broke lots of the rules (esp. the "don't reveals" -- don't reveal monster early in film, don't reveal full monster in daylight, etc etc) of the genre in very effective ways.

The director's previous film "Memories of Murder" was ill as well and has some similarities with Fincher's Zodiac, also discussed here today.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

What can I say? When I saw this in the theater and posted on here about how much I liked it, there was one person who had similar complaints as you (maybe it was you, I don't remember). There will always be some people out there who don't like something. I think the "message" with the chemicals, and other US policy commentary, was intentionally heavy-handed. I thought the comedy was well-placed and clever (although the oafish son is of course slapstick), and I thought the suspense, action, and special effects were phenomenal. I had a GREAT time watching this movie.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Watched this on Friday night on DVD and enjoyed it a lot.
    Also caught "TRANSFORMERS' last night(I'm in the UK) and have to say it's the best "blockbuster" that I've seen in ages !!!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Watched this on Friday night on DVD and enjoyed it a lot.
    Also caught "TRANSFORMERS' last night(I'm in the UK) and have to say it's the best "blockbuster" that I've seen in ages !!!

Cosizzle.

This movie looks good, thanks for the heads up!

• Comes out tomorrow on DVD.

(no spoilers por favor)

Whoa. I'm watching this movie right now and I started getting a little bored so I say to myself "Self, grab your laptop and look for that thread where Day was talking about this movie" so I grab my laptop and look for this thread where Day is talking about this movie and the picture on my screen is the EXACT SAME PICTURE ON THE YOUTUBE SCREENSHOT ABOVE.

Trip. The fuck. Out.

I seriously felt like Dark Helmet.

• I'm sorry. I'm a whiner and a complainer...but I got to say - what the hell were people so amped on this movie for? It sucked! The humor was shitty slapstick at best and the fuckin thing WOULD NOT END. And the supposed message with the chemicals? Give me a fucking break. This was pony loaf.

Disagreed. This was the best monster movie in ages, and broke lots of the rules (esp. the "don't reveals" -- don't reveal monster early in film, don't reveal full monster in daylight, etc etc) of the genre in very effective ways.

The director's previous film "Memories of Murder" was ill as well and has some similarities with Fincher's Zodiac, also discussed here today.

You dudes are talking about two different things. As a monster movie, there was a lot to like about the film, save perhaps for a rather anticlimactic finish (by any standards).

Outside the genre of monster flicks it was a bit less impressive. The pacing was, as mentioned, slow, and I'm not sure how well the mix of humor and tragedy worked. As an audience member, it was difficult to decide whether to feel genuine empathy for the characters or to take a more lighthearted viewing stance.

I probably won't be purchasing the DVD, but I still feel it's a movie worth seeing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "On par with Jaws"?? pffff

hells no

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    My wife and I both liked it a whole lot. Funny, great looking and unique. I cared about the characters, which is more than I can say about most monster movies. I wasn't bothered by the heavy handed political stuff, I felt like it was deliberately over the top in a Dr Strangelove way. I loved the monster, it looked fucked up and awkward, as though it really were something that mutated.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    My wife and I both liked it a whole lot. Funny, great looking and unique. I cared about the characters, which is more than I can say about most monster movies. I wasn't bothered by the heavy handed political stuff, I felt like it was deliberately over the top in a Dr Strangelove way. I loved the monster, it looked fucked up and awkward, as though it really were something that mutated.

This sums up my exact take on the movie. I think it had a good balance for a monster movie and was more than I expected.

• apparently Hard Boiled is also being released on DVD if it hasnt already been...

Yep. I saw it at Suncoast last week.