What is it about me?.....

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
or .... another DJ story post...No matter how many parties I play, I almost always leave thinking I can't believe they don't like that track. Sometimes it was mostly a good night where people are dancing and having fun and then there was last night... I had two annoying Beverly Hills kids at there sisters 35th bday (think wedding crowd) that would not leave me alone... Where is more Nelly Furtado.. Where is more FERGIE!!!! I was about to bitch slap the shit out of them. Their excuse was .. NO ONE KNOWS THIS SONG.. Maybe you should get to know it casue you are the cancer that is what keeps bitch asses like fergie in business... DAMN!!! ITS FUCKING STEVIE WONDER dude.. go blow some coke and head to Cabana Club. but the old double edge sword.. yes they are paying me

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a good dj plays what people want to hear. even if it is a bunch of beckys.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What Stevie was it?

Some personal album cut that only music heads know or is it a Greatest Hit?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    a good dj plays what he/she advertises the night is about and doesnt captiulate and become a human jukebox for dipshits

a good dj plays what he/she advertises the night is about and doesnt captiulate and become a human jukebox for dipshits

true true. was it advertised as a oldies night?

a good dj plays what people want to hear. even if it is a bunch of beckys.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

dude, what do you know about djing for people?
    go make a price check or weekend finds post.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

true true. was it advertised as a oldies night?

I dont know. I would never take a gig without the club knowing what I was about and what I play. Also, I would never take a gig without knowing what the usual crowd was that frequented the club...you are just asking for a shit night and a hard time not knowing that.

• What Stevie was it?

Some personal album cut that only music heads know or is it a Greatest Hit?

we need to know!

• You need to sit down and have a talk with your inner DJ. And remember, when you do that, its ok to end sentences witha preposition. Really, it is.

DJing has no rules.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

No matter how many parties I play, I almost always leave thinking I can't believe they don't like that track.

Sound like this is more your issue than the audiences'.

I've been wierded out when I tried to to play what "I perceive" as a Classic or expose them to a "new" song or an album track that didnt get the same attention.
    Some mouthafuckas get it and some dont.
    Thats the beauty of the risk IMO. You have to know who your playing to.
    Alot of cats simply dont care about your taste. "Just play all the Bangers I know. Pleez!"

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    No matter how many parties I play, I almost always leave thinking I can't believe they don't like that track.

Sound like this is more your issue than the audiences'.

I've been wierded out when I tried to to play what "I perceive" as a Classic or expose them to a "new" song or an album track that didnt get the same attention.
    Some mouthafuckas get it and some dont.
    Thats the beauty of the risk IMO. You have to know who your playing to.
    Alot of cats simply dont care about your taste. "Just play all the Bangers I know. Pleez!"

I suppose I am going to have to agree with this...

What Stevie track was this

Do I Do

What Stevie track was this
    Do I Do

After "Superstition" its a wrap.....

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Thats funny. My boy played last night and was , then he dropped "All I Do" and some broad started giving him the finger.

So he went down the stairs up to her, and told her this next track was for her.

"YOUS A HOE....YOUS A HOE" was playing as he pointed to her and gave her the bozak.

Funny, it was Bozak.

People were laughing at her and shit. Maybe if someone pisses me off when I play, I'll just point at them and grab my crotch.

Its not like I don't know that people are going to want to hear that junk.. Its just like jumping out of an airplane.. everything in my body says NO!!!!!! I am going to have to just push my self to play music I don't like.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The realest thing said in this thread though was by Eric The Hookup who is totally spot on when he says you MUST make sure that the people booking you and the venue and the promoters know what it is that you do. If you are not doing that then you are going to put yourself in a position of having to play stuff you don't like.

In this situation were you hired to play Stevie Wonder or Fergie? Was this even discussed?

In this situation were you hired to play Stevie Wonder or Fergie? Was this even discussed?

THIS STILL HAS NOT BEEN REVEALED.
    This information is to properly analyze the situation.

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    Thats funny. My boy played last night and was , then he dropped "All I Do" and some broad started giving him the finger.

So he went down the stairs up to her, and told her this next track was for her.

"YOUS A HOE....YOUS A HOE" was playing as he pointed to her and gave her the bozak.

damn. playing those lovey songs and some fool ruining it. i try not getting all worked up about that shit, but some peeps... happy when they get what they want, straight to middle finger when it isnt. no in betweens.

i snapped at some dude when i was playing sharon brown 'family tree' a month ago, whole vibe of the song ruined .

**** WHY MUST I CRY ????****

PS the above as the next graemlin, please ??

PPS

I am going to have to just push my self to play music I don't like.

no true. stating the obvious, but making sure all the parties involved MONEY WISE, who the party is for, and those who's decisions particularly matter are the ones you need to play for. 35 yr. old's bday VS some obviously WAY younger kids there, i think it shows your taste/age, but it wasnt the kid's party, so let that shit roll off the shoulders - what matters is how the party organizers felt about everything.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    MIND REAEDR!!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I NEED TO KNOW

I NEED TO KNOW

I asked what she wanted to hear and she said "good music.." just play whatever you think the party is going to want to hear.. I need to just man up and play top 40 for the paycheck.. period..

• unrelated, but I recently had to use a gas station bathroom while passing thru CT. in the sloppiest 3rd grade hand wrtiting style evar:

"Reh Dogg was here"

right above the urinal. wished I had a cam, but didn't.

as for the topic at hand, top 40 from the past 20 years is the new beatles. don't expect it to be otherwise. If you want to avoid this, you have to put in work. Unless you search to find a good venue with a niche crowd, or you're able to put in the serious work required to start a rep from scratch, you can't expect an audience of heads to show up outta nowhere.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    do i do is hit or miss. I personally love it and play it once and a while. Ive had mixed reactions to it. Now superstition or I wish always gets great reactions.

Funny story though, I did a wedding last night which they hired me to do cocktail music, like chill jazzy downtempo shit for the party, an hour into it I was like fuck that and steered towards the crowd and played a set that i do that rocks every time. Like AWB, Stevie, Kool and the Gang etc...

The only mistake I made though is to play superstition after the Mom and Groom dance. The song they had was all real sad and mopey so i was like "hey stevie will get shit poppin" and people gave me the gasface. I felt like a moron halfway through the song. But overall i shredded that shit without playing one thing i didnt like. Just make the people who are giving you money happy. Most events like that your mainly background music for the most part, but people do want to dance, fast and slow, once and a while so you got to do what you got to do to make that shit pop off right. Fuck man for $500 ill play a few fergie cuts.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The realest thing said in this thread though was by Eric The Hookup who is totally spot on when he says you MUST make sure that the people booking you and the venue and the promoters know what it is that you do. If you are not doing that then you are going to put yourself in a position of having to play stuff you don't like.

When I get booked to DJ, I usually ask to speak to one of the residents there, especially if it's a new country, then they fill me in on the clientele. If that's not possible, I get them to suggest to me 5 songs that they would like to hear. With Microwave, it's not really an issue cuz I come strapped with 2 x 120gig externals and my 60 or so internal. I also consider myself these-days as a "working" DJ cuz I ain't famous and it's the way I get to see the world, so I ain't mad at spinning a couple of hours of whatever music, so I can have a holiday somewhere and get some more experience on the wheels with different crowds...

I mean, I hate to say it, but as a "working" DJ, you gotta keep the crowd happy, I'm all for playing what you love and all that, but sometimes (especially corporate gigs, big clubs and birthday parties), you gotta cater for EVERYONE. Some people wanna hear old rock, some want disco, a couple of heads will want some classic 90s rap, some Run DMC, some Beyonce... you know, if you're getting paid, and you put a smile on everyones face by the end of the night (no homo) and people are coming up to give you pounds, consider yourself a good working class DJ... that's why mashups and remixes are essential, some of those tracks on the rub's website have saved the night (thanks cosmo and ayers)... catering for 2 crowds at once... the oldies and the youngans.

+ Then when you get those gigs, where they are small and intimate and you get to play what you want, those are the shows you really look forward to playing (like when I spun at the Vinyl Vulture night, I did it for free and had a good time spinnin raers)...

It's a double edged sword, but sacrifices must be made when you are working as a DJ, times have definitely changed, if you're a famous DJ, you usually get to play what you want, because you have a following that knows you for the things you do and play as a DJ.... like after DMCs, everyone wanted trick routines, but thank god turntablism is kinda dead and there's no dorks standing around the turntables asking for 3 click orbits anymore

peace.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Fuck man for $500 ill play a few fergie cuts.

It helps to put things in perspective. As long as new stuff is in the same genre as what I am playing, I certainly don't have to love it to play it, as long as it does the job. DJing for money usually involves more than your personal playlist, and I kinda like it that way. It would be strange to be too personally tied in with a DJ set, just not how I see it at this stage.

• Do I Do

even if they don't know it, it's a good dance track... i feel your frustration

Do I Do

even if they don't know it, it's a good dance track... i feel your frustration

You will most likely feel me when I say that I get pissed even more when what they are asking me to play is 20 BPM off what I am playing currently the best is when I am playing a 100 BPM track,.. then they want glamoris at 131 then that new JT at 70 it is like people aren't even dancing cause they don't know what to do.. but hey.. its your party..

glamoris at 131 then that new JT at 70

those are actually matchable bpms.

glamoris at 131 then that new JT at 70

those are actually matchable bpms.

HA! I know half beating. but that is not the correct I was just giving examples..