WEEKITY ENDY FINDSYS....

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Hit up the burbs, a few interesting bits and bobs.... some inspired by the hip-hop 45s thread East Of Eden - The World Of LPKokomo - S/T LPOmega - S/T LPEarth Wind & Fire - Another Time 2LPMel & Tim - S/T LPThe Barry Gray Orchestra - No Strings Attached 10"The Aquarius - Hair (spare)Point Blank - Second SeasonJames Last - Voodoo Party (spare)Meal Ticket - Take AwayDanny Wright & The Hustlers - Non Stop Pepsi Party (ehhhhhhhh)Laurie Johnson - The Professionals / On Target / The New Avengers 7"Black Gorilla - Funky Jungle 7"De La Soul - Say No Go 7"De La Soul - Eye Know 7"Slick Rick & Doug E Fresh - The Show / La Di Da Di 7"Intelligent Hoodlum - Back To Reality 7"Mantronix - Bassline / Ladies (revised) 7"Malcolm Mclaren - Double Dutch / She's Looking Like A Hobo 7"Zapp - More Bounce To The Ounce 7"Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness 7"Kool & The Gang - Funky Stuff 7"Jungle Brothers - What U Waitin / Promo No. 2 7"

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Hit up the burbs, a few interesting bits and bobs.... some inspired by the hip-hop 45s thread

Jungle Brothers - Promo No. 2 7"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    a few 45 highlights

Richard Berry and the Pharoahs "Have Love Will Travel"(Flip) one of the greatest singles ever made? Yes.

James Carr "Coming Back to Me Baby"(Goldwax) I had a brain cramp and forgot this is on his "You Got My Mind Messed Up" LP. Oh well, now at least I dont have drag a $150 LP out with me when I DJ. Great Southern Soul Dancer.

Aretha Franklin "Are You Sure"(Columbia) Wow! Amazing early single recorded with the Ray Bryant Trio, top shelf.

• Ebay has been great to me lately when i've no time to go out of town diggin. Not that i'd be likely to catch this lp around here, but certainly a nice addition to the OST crates.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Also found a gang of blute note direct metal mastering disc's for the collection. I was pretty happy with lonnie smith's think and a few other gems.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Oh yeah almost forgot

The Van Dykes "Got to Find Me a Love"(mala) Dubbed-the-fuck-out sweet soul Fort Worth facemelter...so glad to finally have this on 45...much louder and fuller than the LP.

• Took a drive through Oregon this week, up to Portland and a few spots along the way. Shouts to Dr. Wu and Laserwolf for some good records and hospitality. A couple of these I found in the Bay Area last couple days.

Only reference I can find to this 45 is someone on Gemm who has it for $200+. Anyone know if it really goes for that much? Kind of a weird mix of soul, rockabilly and garage?

sorry about the sideways pics, my computer is stubborn about rotating images...

Very cool 45s purportedly recorded by an AWOL soldier in Bangkok in the late 60s. One is moody jazz and the other is funky soul jazz.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    From the past couple weeks. conditions vary. the isley brothers it's your thing is apparently an original pressing. the top seam is split, but the vinyl is in great shape. the cymande was of course EMPTY! which sucked big time.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Took a drive...

nice scoops. you got some winners

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    from ebay and the local flea markets today:

peggy lee - sound of the 70s

isaac hayes movement - disco connection (sans cover, but its a double to play out anyway)

ger??usche in stereo 4 (with the drumbreak)

Good news - Attitudes

udo j??rgens - udo 71 (German onetracker)

and in the same crate at the very end this one in mint (finally, after digging through the same heino records forever like always):

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Not "finds" per se, but I picked up CDs of that Milton Nascimento album and that Panama Soul, Funk and Calypso comp on Soundway. I'm loving both.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That Brothers in Blue record is surprisingly good...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    well this weekend has been interesting.

Finally got to go back and check out a collection I had first seen three years ago.

I managed to purchase a 120 or so 12"s in 04' from dude.

I was curious was what was left. I was relieved to find out that I was not missing out on much and hadn't left much behind from when I first went in. Either way, at least I no longer have to wonder and I know that there isn't really any heat we are missing out on. Its good to know, but also sad that it wasn't the grail I had once imagined.

We did pick this up though from a local shop yesterday:

Had no idea he was a part of the game so early on. Looking forward to giving it a listen while cooking up some dinner tonight.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Took a drive...

nice scoops. you got some winners

Yeah man, looks like some good stuff. Picked up a copy of this from B.Cause (thanks for the CD man!) at the Groove Merchant on Thursday, it is heat and there are cheap copies up on eBay, you should all go cop. I can't believe this record isn't really sweated:

Other than that it's been all eBay recently, both buying and selling. Can anyone tell me who friendsofsound is on these boards? Dude hooked it up with the 45s, thanks!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Can anyone tell me who friendsofsound is on these boards? Dude hooked it up with the 45s, thanks!

The one djcoolhands.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    it is heat and there are cheap copies up on eBay, you should all go cop. I can't believe this record isn't really sweated:

Ha - I almost took you up on this, but I'm glad I did a
    little research on it, and realized I already own it!
    It is available in a US press on Beam Junction, with a
    few extended mixes by Tom Moulton and a much uglier cover:

Decent album, though, and I agree it shouldbe copped
    if found for cheap - the US press is an under-$10 record.

it is heat and there are cheap copies up on eBay, you should all go cop. I can't believe this record isn't really sweated:

Ha - I almost took you up on this, but I'm glad I did a
    little research on it, and realized I already own it!
    It is available in a US press on Beam Junction, with a
    few extended mixes by Tom Moulton and a much uglier cover:

Decent album, though, and I agree it shouldbe copped
    if found for cheap - the US press is an under-$10 record.

Wow that cover is hideous. Go and listen to the drums on "Conga".

• Wow that cover is hideous. Go and listen to the drums on "Conga".

hmmm. I have the ugly cover joint, but there's no track called "conga". breakworthy? I always thought that one dude with the fur hat looks a bit like Q-Tip.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Took a drive through Oregon this week, up to Portland and a few spots along the way. Shouts to Dr. Wu and Laserwolf for some good records and hospitality. A couple of these I found in the Bay Area last couple days.

How is the loading zone LP? I'm a fan of the first album and haven't heard this one...That's a tough find.

• Took a drive through Oregon this week, up to Portland and a few spots along the way. Shouts to Dr. Wu and Laserwolf for some good records and hospitality. A couple of these I found in the Bay Area last couple days.

How is the loading zone LP? I'm a fan of the first album and haven't heard this one...That's a tough find.

I've only listened to it once but thought it was pretty decent. Mix of funky rock, experimental noise/jazz passages, heavier psych bits... Well recorded too.

• this is the past few weeks. been pretty lucky with local spots, plus I had some loot in my paypal account to spend...

Favorite score by far is that Verkys joint at the bottom left. every track on side B has a dirty breakbeat drop halfway through. I will try to post audio soon. african b-boy material. "Dum-Dum" has some cool material & breaks. wierd mix of psych rock, s.american folk styles, and exploito jungle sounds. Blue Caps is breaks and fuzz and not-so-good singing in spanish. Top center is a cool samba & wah wah record with vocals from Djavan on one track. Pete Terrace comes courtesy Mr. Latentcy.

hits bailables has one of the tracks from the soundway colombia! comp plus a few other nice ones. More Relation is some mellow canadian roots reggae (rastas standing in the snow cracks me up).

some nice latin & soul.

another highlight of the past week was walking in to host my weekly radio show and finding two bags choc full of really good ethno/world records - donated by an anonymous listener! Folkways Raer for days. these are just some of the better ones.

thats enough listening to keep my busy for at least another week...

Wow that cover is hideous. Go and listen to the drums on "Conga".

hmmm. I have the ugly cover joint, but there's no track called "conga". breakworthy? I always thought that one dude with the fur hat looks a bit like Q-Tip.

Yeah I'm thinking the US version has a different tracklisting that's more disco oriented. Not open drum breakworthy, but definately goes off on the drums.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking the US version has a different tracklisting that's more disco oriented. Not open drum breakworthy, but definately goes off on the drums.

Yeah, they do definitely have different tracklistings -
    although I'm not sure if some are the same tracks with
    new names (since they were re-mixed by Moulton) ...

Tracklist for Brasil Africa is HERE

Tracklist for Beam Junction LP is HERE

Whoops, sorry about the wild goose chase, the track I was thinking of is "Bongo Drums", not "Conga". Still not on the US pressing, unless they just changed the names.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Here is some finds from the last 10 days or so...mostly on Saturday though...

The Gift of Dreams "better days/speak your mind" 12" is a monster Modern Soul 12" that I picked up for $.33!!!

Frut "spoiled rotten" LPs are sealed!

That "father goose" 12" on We Four is a nice disco rap record!

All of these except for the Arthur Conley are sealed!

Top left record is "Shiloh Morning"...pretty rare psych LP from Indianapolsi!

Here is some finds from the last 10 days or so...mostly on Saturday though...

Nice finds man, that Griffin record is a favorite of mine. Cover of Cloud Nine is a heater, as is the breakdown on the first track.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

and in the same crate at the very end this one in mint (finally, after digging through the same heino records forever like always):

You got this at a flea market?!?! Were they knowing what they had or did you come up? I don't know what country you're in but round these parts that ain't exactly flea market material....

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

You got this at a flea market?!?! Were they knowing what they had or did you come up? I don't know what country you're in but round these parts that ain't exactly flea market material....

pure luck, yeah, it was a new spot for a flea market in some parking lot. My girl just convinced me to go and i just said ok, it was late (around 1 in the afternoon) and there were not many people selling stuff. But I live in Germany, so the record was pressed here and sometimes you can really be lucky like that. But that happens once every 3 years or so. The funny thing is, I didn't expect anything and two other guys were on the crate before me, but they were mostly diggin' for your average joe jackson stuff and just left it. I already bought the reissue to play out and always said that i will not find the OG anyway and there it was in the only crate this old couple had with them. They obviously had no clue. I felt bad, but hey, what can you do? And if you think of how long they prolly carried this record around with them and noone bought it...but over here it is really going good these days. 2 months ago i found the "staff Karpenburg" lp for 75 cents in a shop down my street, also mint. Good times...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    haha.

kingston karachi - dum dum...

let me guess, purchased at academy???
    do tell what it was priced at....
    i sold them a box of records last month.
    i would imagine your copy is mine.

the osadebe in '80 is top notch... the trumpet playing is so beautiful on that.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

lucky you. nearly impossible to find even in germany those days.
    had a chat with rainer tr??by about this record and he told me that 10 years ago he found it multiple times at flea markets for close to nothing.
    where did u find it?

• haha.

kingston karachi - dum dum...

let me guess, purchased at academy???
    do tell what it was priced at....
    i sold them a box of records last month.
    i would imagine your copy is mine.

the osadebe in '80 is top notch... the trumpet playing is so beautiful on that.

yup, dang, we coulda skipped the middle man. it was 6 bucks. didn't feel too bad throwing down on that. what's the deal with these cats? do you know where they were from? it says fabricando in El Salvador, but I think I saw online that they're Argentinian? "Uska Dara" is pretty hot and there's a nasty (albeit poorly recorded) break on "Dam-Dam Du-Bi-Du".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    all from yard sales, thrifts and fleas* (from 25 cents to a dollar each)-- all in nice shape * except new shellac lp and the jungle brothers lp (only 5 bucks for a minty og!). got those at my fave record shop dd down in atown.

orig. of aquarius dub! yes!

http://popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=270030522509