Pennsylvania/Virginias/Georgia/Carolinas

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Hello Dear Strutters!Man and I are hitting the road next week, heading to beautiful Georgia...probably staying close to #79 through Pennsylvania and the Virginias and then heading west through the mountains. On the way back north, we are coming up the coast and turning back west around Richmond. And we are always willing to take a detour.Are there any record stores you can recommend along the way? How about in Savannah and area? Anything in places like Charleston, Wilmington, Jacksonville, Hampton?Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank You.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    And we are always willing to take a detour.

Coca-Cola and Tabasco brined pork chops will greet you in Brooklyn!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm heading to Savannah in like three weeks, although I'm driving through Indiana, Tennesse, Kentucy, Georgia. Hoping to stop through the Smoky Mountrains. I'll ask for some suggestions in another thread.

Have a good time!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LOL - I wish we could take that kind of detour!

Perhaps an emergency meeting at Virginia Beach instead? I am sure we have many important things to discuss over sandcastles and melon slices.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I'm stuck on a ten day M*rth* Stew*rt job starting Monday, otherwise I'd suggest she and I skip town. Melon slices and the beach sound good. Plus, I worked on my tan a little in Palm Springs, so it's possible my ghostly white ass wouldn't wouldn't be such an eye sore.

You should go to the Hemphill Gallery in DC and see the Mingering Mike show, though. I loved it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Perhaps an emergency meeting at Virginia Beach instead? I am sure we have many important things to discuss over sandcastles and melon slices.

Don't go to VA Beach. My wife and I went there when we first moved to VA and we wished someone had told us not to. Huge commercial crap fest related.

If you swing through Richmond there are a whole bunch of soul strut folks. Be sure to hit up Plan 9 records too.

Thanks so much for the tip...I guess I should add any suggestions for beaches to that list...we hated Myrtle Beach, so a touristy beach is not what we're looking for. Any out of the way places where we can swim in peace would be great to know about...

Cool! I will try to hit an internet cafe close to Richmond and see if we can have drinks and such.

Oooooooooooh - I am getting excited!!

You should go to the Hemphill Gallery in DC and see the Mingering Mike show, though. I loved it.

I don't think we can do it - we're trying to squeeze a lot of road time in a week...I wanted to go through DC and Baltimore, but I don't think it'll happen. We got amazing tickets for a TFC match on the 29th, so we have to have to be back by then... about Mingering Mike... about the rest of it, if all goes according to plan.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    tons of swimming holes around the carolinas and up along the appalachians in va.
    shouldn't be too hard to find some good websites w/ lists.
    i was able to jot down a few last summer when driving that route.

i don't like public beaches a whole lot myself.
    especially in new york.

• If it's still there, you might try American Oldies in Newport News. I did pretty well there a few years ago.

Ari did you get my email?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    If you cross the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel bridge there is a cool and decently sized junk shop on that highway a few miles after you cross (heading away from VA Beach not towards - I don't know which direction that is, North would be my educated guess). I got a stack of records from there in early spring, but he seemed like the kind of guy to keep grabbing more so maybe there's some good stuff. Kraftwerk and Breakin' 2 and some gospel are what i remember getting there.

The room closer to the back has a bunch of old toys in it, kinda cool.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    cape hatteras is the bomb for a non comercial beach,esp if you surf/body/boogie board

cape hatteras is the bomb for a non comercial beach,esp if you surf/body/boogie board

Cool - I so want to get on Highways 12 and 158 - roads in the ocean it looks like!!!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Don't go to VA Beach. My wife and I went there when we first moved to VA and we wished someone had told us not to. Huge commercial crap fest related.

Head a little more south to Sandbridge. It's more similar to Outer Banks NC but less congested.

The Eastern Shore of VA might be fun to explore too!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I know many people, places and things at almost every spot you mentioned. I grew up on a beach outside of Charleston. You about to get hooked up. Holler.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I grew up on a beach

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

The Eastern Shore of VA might be fun to explore too!

rt. 13 on the eastern shore of virginia is quite a trip. they like to take life slow, and if it doesn't get done today, it will be there tomorrow. good luck.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    If it's still there, you might try American Oldies in Newport News. I did pretty well there a few years ago.

it's still there. stopped by for a few hours about 6 months ago while i was visiting ma dukes. they bought the space behind the store and knocked the wall down. it's not as organized as it was back in '94, but they had some good stuff in there. that's been one of my spots for years.

you can catch l.e.s. in there sometimes. he has family in the yorktown/gloucester area.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If it's still there, you might try American Oldies in Newport News. I did pretty well there a few years ago.

it's still there. stopped by for a few hours about 6 months ago while i was visiting ma dukes. they bought the space behind the store and knocked the wall down. it's not as organized as it was back in '94, but they had some good stuff in there. that's been one of my spots for for years.

you can catch l.e.s. in there sometimes. he has family in the yortown/gloucester area.

fucKKKing assholes!

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    my bad. i meant the store is bigger now and has more bins in there.

I[/b]

SOULSTRUT![/b]

Thank You very much everyone - PMs and posts.

Needless to say, any time you are in Toronto, please let me know.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

hi tony-

yeah, i got it... did you get my reply? I sent it the next day...

just call me and we'll catch up.

bassie- that's the shop in newport news i mentioned, blanked on the name. cool store.

peace.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

it's still there. stopped by for a few hours about 6 months ago while i was visiting ma dukes. they bought the space behind the store and knocked the wall down. it's not as organized as it was back in '94, but they had some good stuff in there. that's been one of my spots for for years.

you can catch l.e.s. in there sometimes. he has family in the yortown/gloucester area.

fucKKKing assholes!

unless you meant that i'm an asshole. it's no secret though. everybody knows about that spot. the real real secret spots are in portsmouth, smithfield, & surry. also they have chicken biscuit breakfast raers in them parts too.

chicken biscuits.

the real real secret spots are in portsmouth, smithfield, & surry.

oh god, my BF is going to hate me. if there's a skatepark for every record store, we'll be OK...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    If y'all ever decide to take I-185 South, feel free to holleur.
    I'll hook you up with a beer and maybe a .