Santa Cruz area (RLR)

FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
In town for a couple of days. Besides Streetlight, where are the spots for records? Also in the surrounding areas.

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    is logos still there?

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    is logos still there?

My source says yes

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yes Logos is still there. It's either heat in the new arrivals or overpriced stuff elsewhere. It's really just a matter of being there at the right time, cause the buyer is a moron who constantly looks like he needs about 6 hours more sleep. I've heard stories

There's a store off Pacific that has odd hours and a buyer who will yell at you if you try to look at the records in the boxes on the floor, because he is terrified that you know more about record pricing than his large self does. Occasionally some good stuff, very disorganized.

Streetlight is garbage, the buyer is a dick, don't bother. All the good records go to the staff for dirt cheap.

Bargain Barn is junk these days.

Thrift on Front occasionally has mildly interesting stuff

Salvation Army is random but comes through with the occasional record or two.

That's my summary. I have heard of dope South County spots but haven't been yet.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    Thanks, much appreciated. Anyone got spots outside of the area? San Jose, Milpetas, Monterey?

• TRY TO GO TO THE SWAP MEET ON SOQUEL AT THE DRIVE IN IF YOU ARE THERE WHEN IT IS ON.

THRIFTSTORES IN WATSONVILLE USED TO BE GOOD.

TRY TO GO TO THE SWAP MEET ON SOQUEL AT THE DRIVE IN IF YOU ARE THERE WHEN IT IS ON.

IT IS GENERALLY A TURDISH EXPERIENCE WHEN I HAVE BEEN.

• Streetlight is garbage, the buyer is a dick, don't bother. All the good records go to the staff for dirt cheap.

that's funny because I've come up on some great stuff the last three times I've been there, spread out over a year or so. When I lived in town I very rarely found anything worthwhile there.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    TRY TO GO TO THE SWAP MEET ON SOQUEL AT THE DRIVE IN IF YOU ARE THERE WHEN IT IS ON.

IT IS GENERALLY A TURDISH EXPERIENCE WHEN I HAVE BEEN.

but if you dont have anything else to do at 6am on sat morn WHY NOT GO? cant say ive ever walked that place and didnt buy something. buy yourself some fruit when you get there and walk the stalls.

good luck!

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Yes Logos is still there. It's either heat in the new arrivals or overpriced stuff elsewhere. It's really just a matter of being there at the right time, cause the buyer is a moron who constantly looks like he needs about 6 hours more sleep. I've heard stories

I miss Russell.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Thanks, much appreciated. Anyone got spots outside of the area? San Jose, Milpetas, Monterey?

If Vinyl Revolution is still there in Monterey, Bob usually had some good stuff. Recycled Records is a few blocks down the road.

I miss Russell.

Fill me in - who is/was Russell?

• Logos is worth checking as they have new stock moving in daily.

On The Corner on Campbell Ave in SJ is definitely worth a stop. Cool records and strutter-owned.

Needle to the Groove in Fremont always has nice hip-hop/old school shit if thats your thing.

Other than that, in the past couple days I've been to pretty much every store/thrift between Ben Lomond and Monterey/Salinas. Marj Snyder for days. Save your time and get some tacos and beer down by the beach.

PM and let me know what type of music you're after. I have stuff.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Streetlight was alright. Found some nigerian highlife '45s there 6 years ago. Real deal was having a chance encounter with some guy. Striking up converstaion about records. Turns out he had an impressive roots/dub collection. Hung out at his place for a 3 hours. Was in my "taking a break" phase...think it worried him I was a narc. Ended up buying a few LPs...only one I fully remember is Congos Fisherman lp...which floored me at the time.

Santa Cruz...hook up is the best and highly recommended way!

Got time for San Jose? I recall hitting up a shop there...

• Yes Logos is still there. It's either heat in the new arrivals or overpriced stuff elsewhere. It's really just a matter of being there at the right time, cause the buyer is a moron who constantly looks like he needs about 6 hours more sleep. I've heard stories

I miss Russell.

Fill me in - who is/was Russell?

SOME BESPECTICALED GRIPPER WHO WAS EVEN WORKING THERE BACK IN THE DAYS OF TOUNSAND AND I *(SANTA CRUZ 1989).