Essential Talking LPs

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Address this thread with strictly live shit. No hogwash JFK speech compilations, The First Family, George Carlin, or Shure Cartridge demonstration LPs. Those are everywhere. I'd like to see anything that discusses suicide, drug addiction, mentally unstable folks. And if it's narrated by a women, all the better. But of course, show me what you got.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Gulp.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    dope! what's the deal with the different how to speak hip covers?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    AWESOME!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    dope!

how do they sound, any good clips you want to share?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

In the early '90s, this was one of the first "wall" records I bought. Asked the dude at Amoeba if he would take it down for me. It was priced $25. Which was the most I had spent on a record back then. I thought it was "rare." I had just read an article about the Big Black original LPs which detailed all the stuff fans found inside the jackets. The band would fill the record sleeves with razor blades, rolling papers, condoms, etc. This record was sealed, so I figured I had that loot.

I paid my $25 bucks, got it home, cracked the seal, and among all the other shit in the record, there was a note, presumably from Albini, that read, "If you paid more than $3 for this record, you are a complete dick."

=priceless

Big Black had planned their breakup three albums before it happened. This record is funny, as the questions are written by someone with a command for the english language, while they are asked by some German dude. But since it's supposed to be Texas, all the questions revolve around cowboyism, chewing tabacco, and Stetson hat sizes. The German dude keeps fumbling the questions, and the band can't understand most of what he's saying. Typical question: "Where do y'all find collegiate pussy to be the tightest, and the loosest?"

A script of the questions is enclosed, and you can hard pan your stereo to hear just the questions, or just the answers, in either channel. The idea being you could fill in for the interviewer or interviewee.

It says the questions were written by Daniel 'Python Skinner' O'Grady, premier music writer from the Lone State, Texas, but I am sure he stole everything from Archaic.

NEVER BUY A RECORD THAT ADVERTISES: "REAL CALLS FROM PEOPLE WHO LATER COMMITTED SUICIDE."[/b]

By far, the weirdest record I own. Some clinical, stuffy sounding dude introducing the "cuts." Which are horribly recorded calls from people who are screaming, crying, blathering, while the "counselor" feeds them what I think is terrible advice (I've buried 4 friends in 5 years, I know).

Best track title ever: Divorced Man, 42, Weeping, With A Gun[/b]

(no shit)

WEIRD!

Peace to the dude in Tel Aviv who sent it to me...

It's clear what you dudes think of the Crouch today, but I am feeling dude back in leather elbows on a corduroy suit jacket days.

Crouch cites the article from Harlem On My Mind that discusses the great white composers going up to Harlem and stealing motifs from the Black musicians. Listen. (That Piano isn't on the record, by the way.) Then he rails on Janis Joplin, calling her an "imitation nigger", which is where I think Mos Def got the inspiration for that one jam of his, cause it's pretty much word-for-word.

He reads several poems as well.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

It says the questions were written by Daniel 'Python Skinner' O'Grady, premier music writer from the Lone State, Texas, but I am sure he stole everything from Archaic.

Nah, he just sampled public domain.

I'm not big on talking albums but that Steven Jesse Bernstein album that Sub Pop put out in '92...what a job of capturing a raving lunatic at his most manic. Geaux Steve Fisk...

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Here are a few good talking lps. I like the LSD documentary lps ( mostly Leary). The one simply titled LSD (not the leary one) is crazy as it contains lots of interviews with live tripping hippies and side 2 is "the actual recording of a young man experiencing the wild hallucinations of an lsd trip' unfortunately for him he ends up having a bad one. The Love Serve remember is a Baba Ram Dass 6lp box set and has maybe 4 sides of him on radio giving spiritual advice to callers "if you are freaking just feel the freak" Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) was leary's off sider during the LSD revolution.

Nah, he just sampled public domain.

I'm not big on talking albums but that Steven Jesse Bernstein album that Sub Pop put out in '92...what a job of capturing a raving lunatic at his most manic. Geaux Steve Fisk...

I got the white label Dance Remix of "THE SPORT".

What the fuck? Dance remix? (With acappella?) One of my favorite records of all time. Find a hurt place, and don't ever let it heal. Steve Fisk puts more bass into his shit than most hip-hop producers. Seriously, rock "The Sport" in the whip sometime and you will notice the fucking low end as it murders your assbone and boils your spinal fluid.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    great post!

i have a couple, but this is definitely my favorite..

Gould is my ace homie. This LP interview was released 4 years after he abandonned the concert stage. Gould comes up in all of our ClassicalStrut threads, and I can't stress enough how genius hoLmes is. This record is great, because you can hear how fucking kooky he is. Listen.

This was during the time he was making his contrapunctal recordings of interviewed voices. Great LPs, they are, one and all. On those nights when all my friends are "going out" and I feel guilty for staying in my apartment alone, I just think of my dude Gould, and all is well.

Your willful refusal to appear in public, as if you were hurting them

Gulp.

This is a recent find. I had never heard of it. I found it just after she died. The reading of her short Debriefing details the suicide of a friend. My girllove, who holds Sontag in high esteem, was excited when she saw this, but after about twenty minutes she deemed Sontag's reading voice "boring." I have a little more patience for "boring", plus she talks about suicide, but I can see where ol' girl is coming from.

Camus reading The Stranger in his native tongue is what's up! Dude will talk you right out of them panties. I have the 45 of Simone DeBeauvoir reading UNE HISTOIRE QUE JE ME RACONTAIS, now all I need is some Sarte and I'll have hit the Paris School of Frenchistentialism Trifecta???

Caedmon came correct with a lot of talking LPs, I just wish they had more stones. Their records are like great recipes minus all the required spice. Too scared to cuss, basically.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    great post!

i have a couple, but this is definitely my favorite..

Can somebody post a clip from this record? I've been mad curious about it for a while.

Anybody know if this is the record Theo Parrish used for the "Ebonics" 12'?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I love that Xaviera record - no matter where you put the needle down it's a great sample.

dope! what's the deal with the different how to speak hip covers?

I believe there are 2 different LPs. Peacefulrotation said he has the other one, if he can find it...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I have the other one. Just wondering if they are different or a later press. You have a tracklist or something?

DJ Wub_Wub got the goods! What's the bottom middle record?

• I think she was the inspiration for Strangers with Candy. There's a film reel of her talking to a high school class in the late '60s where she pretty much utters the 'boozer, loser, user' line verbatim.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Whats up with that "the Groupies" LP?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    THAT ALLEN ROBIN-SUPERSHRINK RECORD RULES!!!!!!!!
    BEATS YO!

Whats up with that "the Groupies" LP?

Self-proclaimed "Super Groupies" who've boned the biggest rock stars talking on their herpies, blowjobs, one night stands, need for love, and general rowdy groupie lifestyle. Kinda funny. Pretty kitsch. Includes "Groupie Glossary" for dudes slow on the vernacular. Making piggies. RJD2 samples ("He's the guy with the hit record") for eBay tag lines.

On sale now. What's the deal with the Earth Records label?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I think she was the inspiration for Strangers with Candy. There's a film reel of her talking to a high school class in the late '60s where she pretty much utters the 'boozer, loser, user' line verbatim.

maybe you're thinking of?

The Trip Back
    1970 color 28 minutes

Florrie Fisher, a 50 year old ex-con junkie whore, goes back to highschool to lecture the students on the horrors of drugs in this obscure classroom scare film.

Many of you who are fans of Strangers With Candy will note the obvious resemblance to Jerri Blank, but just wait til you hear Ms. Fisher tell how she used to "cook her breakfast up in a teaspoon," and if she needed a dress she "had to have it in every color," or how one night she was "thrown from a horse and had to have a laminectomy"!

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Argh!!! I had this shit, and lent it to a buddy for some recording, and then never saw it again - DOH!

anyways:

"And squeeze the buttocks!"

Willaim Shatner Live

Goldrush XVI (original broadcasts of SF 49ers 1982 SuperBowl Champion season)

"Who Is My Soul Brother?" - Rev. Wendell H. Wallace

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. reads Cat's Cradle

"If You Turn On" - old CBS youth drug usage documentary

Aldous Huxley reads Brave New World - original BBC broadcasts

"The New World Money System" by Willard Cantelon - crazy religious satanic conspiracy theories about Social security and universal currencies

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I think she was the inspiration for Strangers with Candy. There's a film reel of her talking to a high school class in the late '60s where she pretty much utters the 'boozer, loser, user' line verbatim.

maybe you're thinking of?

The Trip Back
    1970 color 28 minutes

Florrie Fisher, a 50 year old ex-con junkie whore, goes back to highschool to lecture the students on the horrors of drugs in this obscure classroom scare film.

Many of you who are fans of Strangers With Candy will note the obvious resemblance to Jerri Blank, but just wait til you hear Ms. Fisher tell how she used to "cook her breakfast up in a teaspoon," and if she needed a dress she "had to have it in every color," or how one night she was "thrown from a horse and had to have a laminectomy"!

• Hahaha I love SWC!

The Del Close I have has the Watts Towers on the cover.

A great record dealing with the evils of rock music:

One of my all time favorites...Urban and Suburban sprawl addressed in the mid 70's.
    Lots of great scratchy dialogue!

Now who can name the NWA sample on this monstrosity?

Anais got that lisp.

I stole the entire "Black Magic" section from my hometown library when I was 12. They had this door by the bathroom that wasn't alarmed, so I'd go in every day, grab 4 or 5 witchcraft books, and walk over towards the bathroom like I was waiting in line after checking out, then I'd bail out the door when no one was looking. Plus, I had steep fines for not returning books, so my card had that hex. My library karma was fucked up for years.

I finally got back in good grace, and the San Francisco Public Library revamped and had that nice record section. You could only check out 3 records at a time. I had just read some Anais Nin erotica when I found this amongst the "Other" section of the library record shelves. I thought I hit the exxxtra special stash. I got it home, expecting to be wooed into erotic digging fr[/b]iction, but all I heard was her weird, hair-lipped, lispy French voice. Doh! It wasn't even slightly naughty!

"I fwirst mwet Henwwy Miwwer in Awgust of ninetween fworty fwour."

She's great, though. A nice passage about her relationship with her father that is touching. Plus, she uses the phrase, a gust of inponderable charm, which I think is great.

It took everything I had not to steal this from the San Francisco Library. Eventually I found my own copy. This record is titled "Volume 1", was there ever a Volume 2?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I've always wondered; all these Sartre reads Nausea or whatever LPs-- do they just read some key parts or is it more like a shortened version of the actual piece of writing?

I've always wondered; all these Sartre reads Nausea or whatever LPs-- do they just read some key parts or is it more like a shortened version of the actual piece of writing?

The Camus is portioned. Sylvia reads entire poems. I have a Richard Wright reads Black Boy which is probably 80 minutes (double LP), but still abbreviated. I think the decision of what to read/include is different for each LP.

I recently got an 18 record private press set of some serious business. One dude telling his story. (File Under: Mandatory Multiple Coffee Brewings To Make It Through)