Cheap but Goodies (5 Star Thread)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited November 2018 in Record Collecting
I have plenty of these at my disposal right now....

Getting my mind blown with

Ramsey Lewis "Mother Nature's Son" right now.

These up next:

• War "Deliver the Word"
  • Ray Bryant Trio "Gotta Travel On
TAGGED:

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Dollar bin goodies that blow your mind everytime you listen to them.!
    Love Unlimited-under the Influence
    Flash & the Pan-S/T
    Quincy Jones-Mellow Madness.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    hot buttered soul just NEVER gets old! most played soul record on my shelf? and always a fresh cheap copy to be found if one wears out the grooves..

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    where do you guys live? i never see this shit cheap. id never even seen a copy of mother natures son till i found one in chicago. i think ive seen it twice total in iowa.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Lee Michaels - S/T
    Ramsey Lewis - Upendo Ni Pamoja
    Bob James - One
    Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
    Earth Wind & Fire - All N' All

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    This one comes to mind, as I've seen it twice this past week:

A good cheapie IMO. "Let's Be Loneley Together", "Lover's Holiday" and "Never Know What You Can Do (Give It A Try)" are my jams.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This one comes to mind, as I've seen it twice this past week:

A good cheapie IMO. "Let's Be Loneley Together", "Lover's Holiday" and "Never Know What You Can Do (Give It A Try)" are my jams.

Edit: That's the first time I noticed that catalogue is spelt wrong.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    one of my latest $ bin finds, not really a common 1$ though:

9th creation - falling in love

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I know there was a thread on this not long ago, but this one's but matching my mood lately:

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    a dollar bin oldie but goodie i've been hitting up lately is the tough guys soundtrack.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    9th creation - falling in love
    not a $1 common

i love most EWF...listened to this recently

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - Buckinghams - Portraits
    - Amos Milburn - Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies, Vol. (I forget the number, but just about every used record store in the universe has at least one of the albums in this multi-artist series, by Milburn, Johnny Otis and others)

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I know there was a thread on this not long ago, but this one's but matching my mood lately:

I can't listen to the last track on the album without remembering getting spanked for messing up some of my dad's records as a kid.

Beat Your Booty, indeed.

• a dollar bin oldie but goodie i've been hitting up lately is the tough guys soundtrack.

Jesus... not dollar bin in San Diego!

• where do you guys live? i never see this shit cheap. id never even seen a copy of mother natures son till i found one in chicago. i think ive seen it twice total in iowa.

Pretty soon someones going to mention 'Curtis'..

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    where do you guys live? i never see this shit cheap. id never even seen a copy of mother natures son till i found one in chicago. i think ive seen it twice total in iowa.

Pretty soon someones going to mention 'Curtis'..

not curtis but how much for this ?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    a dollar bin oldie but goodie i've been hitting up lately is the tough guys soundtrack.

Wow, that record is all over the place here. seriously, I'm not lying when I'm saying that every record store has at least 2 copies of it for cheap, and it shows up at the fleas regularly too. I could say the same for the Short Eyes OST. Just goes to show that the notion of "commons" is very relative to location.

Like I mentioned in the mp chooligan thread, this phenomenon is due to large bulks of US cutout records landing over here in the 70s and 80s. We used to have stores that specialized in buying undesired US stock and selling it for cheap here (Slap 'A Records R.I.P.). Crates and crates of this stuff, 20 copies or more of each record, sealed and minty. Ah, those were the days.

50% of the time those Tough Guys and Short Eyes OSTs are still sealed when I see them.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    [.......... I could say the same for the Short Eyes OST.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Found my copy at a swap for 2bucks. My criteria for "cheap" is like 10bucks and under.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Wow, that record is all over the place here. seriously, I'm not lying when I'm saying that every record store has at least 2 copies of it for cheap, and it shows up at the fleas regularly too. I could say the same for the Short Eyes OST. Just goes to show that the notion of "commons" is very relative to location.

Like I mentioned in the mp chooligan thread, this phenomenon is due to large bulks of US cutout records landing over here in the 70s and 80s. We used to have stores that specialized in buying undesired US stock and selling it for cheap here (Slap 'A Records R.I.P.). Crates and crates of this stuff, 20 copies or more of each record, sealed and minty. Ah, those were the days.

50% of the time those Tough Guys and Short Eyes OSTs are still sealed when I see them.

So true! In Altanta Tough Guys, Short Eyes even SUperFLY (CURTIS!!!) shops sell these for $7 to $10 bucks.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

So true! In Altanta Tough Guys, Short Eyes even SUperFLY (CURTIS!!!) shops sell these for $7 to $10 bucks.

weeerd....... good record but stopped pickin that joint up ages ago!!

enough is enough

weeerd....... good record but stopped pickin that joint up ages ago!!

enough is enough

NOW I WANT TO SEE DON JULIANS SDTK "SAVAGE" FOR CHEAP!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I knew this thread wasn't going anywhere when I started seeing repeated references to Tough Guys. Get some new records or this thread is in the toilet!

I knew this thread wasn't going anywhere when I started seeing repeated references to Tough Guys. Get some new records or this thread is in the toilet!

It's seen for cheap in every thrift shop & dollar bin...what you expect??

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    THESE threads are always ridiculous.
    who's gonna mention Astral Weeks?
    apparently thats a dollar record too.

• where do you guys live? i never see this shit cheap. id never even seen a copy of mother natures son till i found one in chicago. i think ive seen it twice total in iowa.

just passed through iowa last week, hands down worst state ive ever set foot in...

Marijuana Possession
    Any amount (first offense) * misdemeanor * 6 months jail + $1,000 fine

This must be very new.

THESE threads are always ridiculous.
    who's gonna mention Astral Weeks?
    apparently thats a dollar record too.

BUT IS IT A GOOD LP?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    its no Moondance.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

thrift store carpet