BALTIMORE -- FREE Films @ the BMA!

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited July 2007 in Announcements
I program and host this series. Here are the next 4 films.All of these films show for FREE at the Baltimore Museum of Art from 35mm film prints. Screenings begin at 8pm. August 2: Woman is the Future of Man(Hong Sang-soo, South Korea, 2004, 88 minutes)Likened to a post-modern, deadpan riff on Francois Truffaut's Jules and Jim, the film-festival favorite Hong Sang-soo offers a quieter, darkly comic side of the South Korean New Wave cinema with this quirky art-house look at a love triangle between a bohemian female bartender, a filmmaker, and an art professor. English Subtitled. September 6: Lemming(Dominik Moll, France, 2005, 129 minutes)When his boss and boss' wife Alice (Charlotte Rampling) visit the home of young professional Alain (Laurent Lucas) and his young spouse Benedicte (Science of Sleep's Charlotte Gainsbourg), their unbalanced and combative behavior gradually and insidiously unsettles the couple???s domestic bliss. English Subtitled. October 4: Nenette and Boni(Claire Denis, France, 1996, 103 minutes)Claire Denis, best known for the 1999's art-house hit Beau Travail, offers an explicit and controversial coming-of-age story about the complex relationship between a brother and a sister following their parents' divorce. Co-stars Vincent Gallo. English Subtitled. Not available on DVD. November 1: Syndromes and a Century(Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Thailand, 2006, 105 minutes)This cutting-edge Thai masterpiece begins as a gentle, playful romance, then evolves into a mind-bending stream of urban imagery. Nominated for the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival and a surprise audience hit at this year's Maryland Film Festival, this bold cinematic vision proves there are still new stories to tell, and new ways to tell them. English Subtitled. Not yet available on DVD.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Super Excellent choices!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Damn! these look like great films--need to mark them down in my calendar.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Please do! Obviously I enjoy all 4, but...

"Lemming" is probably the most crowd-pleasing, with a few recognizable stars and a thriller format (although more along the lines of Polanski, Lynch, and especially Michael Haneke than Hitchcock).

"Syndromes" is definitely the most mind-expanding of the 4. For me, that film is the state of the art right now.