essential albums to own to like music

2»

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Carry on, but please... no more stuff like Soul Searchers!

there are a lot of older dc heads who would not agree with you calling we the people a break record. although they probably wouldn't know what a break record is either... but they probably would say that it is essential.

regional S>rap/S> funk?

I was thinking this while I wrote it... but are the old go-go heads sweating "Ashley's Roachclip"?

essential Chuck go go

The Soul Searchers and Chuck Brown might have done some gogo shit later on, but Ashleys Roachclip has imo NOTHING to do with any typa gogo whatsoever !!!
    auwright-

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

there are a lot of older dc heads who would not agree with you calling we the people a break record. although they probably wouldn't know what a break record is either... but they probably would say that it is essential.

regional S>rap/S> funk?

I was thinking this while I wrote it... but are the old go-go heads sweating "Ashley's Roachclip"?

essential Chuck go go

The Soul Searchers and Chuck Brown might have done some gogo shit later on, but Ashleys Roachclip has imo NOTHING to do with any typa gogo whatsoever !!!
    auwright-

I would suggest you listen a little closer....

regional S>rap/S> funk?

essential Chuck go go

auwright-

I would suggest you listen a little closer....

All I hear is straight gangsta funk !!!

I'll put on some Trouble Funk if I needs to get gogofied

are we talking about two different versions ? The only version I know is from the Salt Of The Earth album 1974

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    are we talking about two different versions ? The only version I know is from the Salt Of The Earth album 1974

The main difference is that the percussion is highlighted and the tracks are longer and medley-fied. At least that's what I hear. Go Go IS funk.

The main difference is that the percussion is highlighted and the tracks are longer and medley-fied. At least that's what I hear. Go Go IS funk.

To me gogomusic has a certain funk style (and rhythm with the percussion), I dont hear these kinds of beats at all when I listen to Ashleys Roachclip, this cut sounds imo more like a funky gangstermovie soundtrack...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "to like music" is a pretty broad statement, I think you have to do a little genre-soul searching when compiling "essential" lists, I am sure there are some cats out there with a bazillion classical LPs and dont have a copy of anything written after 1850, and you cant say those cats dont like music. I would say anyone, even if it was their only record, that had a copy of Beethoven's 9th symphony would qualify as loving music...weird how classical music has been left out ,for the most part,of this thread about music to have if you love music.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Chuck Brown INVENTED GO-GO. get ya head straight homie!!! and just so you guys know, this post was just a big joke. please dont answer seriously. BTW, i was SLAMMIN to some Sabbath last night. Master of Reality MIGHT be better than S/t. Into the Void is

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    these kinds of lists are largely useless. I see them in magazines and shit and I always read them like "cd's you gotta have in your collection if you wanna look cool when girls come over" and shit.

everybody likes different stuff. you know? Not to pointlessly start an argument or anything. MAtter fact disregard this post and carry on.

Exactly. That "essential albums" list will be totally different for anybody on the planet. It totaly depends of your life and background..

No see that's the problem. Everyone is sitting around like, Afreaka is essential, or yeah I totally NEED Nubian Lady, or Starpoint or Bobby Paunetto or whatever.

Musical history is not totally subjective; there are albums that are important to the development of it. These albums, most of the time, are called "necessary" because, as a music fan, you need them in order to understand where it all comes from. Also they are called "necessary" because, generally, lots and lots and lots of people love them to death and they are so good that people will never stop loving them.

Carry on, but please... no more stuff like Soul Searchers! Most of these breakbeat records stink like funky turds from the Woolworth luncheonette on an Alabama summer day.

We are talking about ALBUMS that are necessary. Not records with a funky cut that you wouldn't even know about if it hadn't been looped and sampled.

We are talking about Sabbath. Curtis. Public fucking Enemy. Stop being such losers people. Get with the real. AP sent me to clear your heads. Musart.

Man, talk about a critique propelled by hindsight. So maybe "Kind of Blue" is the quintessential modal jazz album; doesn't mean it's the only modal jazz album to own if one is trying to piece together where modal jazz comes from. Furthermore, the idea that something is classic because lots and lots and lots of people love it is also suspect. Do you remember Ragtime, Dixieland, or Swing? That stuff is pretty non-classic nowadays, despite peoples' love for it many years ago.

A million Elvis fans can't be wrong, that is, until they all die.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I defecate on your Kind of Blue.

Chuck Brown INVENTED GO-GO. get ya head straight homie!!!

So...???? Kool&theGang made several discohits but I still dont hear any disco when I spin Give It Up.... can you dig what Im saying bro...?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

No see that's the problem. Everyone is sitting around like, Afreaka is essential, or yeah I totally NEED Nubian Lady, or Starpoint or Bobby Paunetto or whatever.

Musical history is not totally subjective; there are albums that are important to the development of it. These albums, most of the time, are called "necessary" because, as a music fan, you need them in order to understand where it all comes from. Also they are called "necessary" because, generally, lots and lots and lots of people love them to death and they are so good that people will never stop loving them.

Carry on, but please... no more stuff like Soul Searchers! Most of these breakbeat records stink like funky turds from the Woolworth luncheonette on an Alabama summer day.

We are talking about ALBUMS that are necessary. Not records with a funky cut that you wouldn't even know about if it hadn't been looped and sampled.

We are talking about Sabbath. Curtis. Public fucking Enemy. Stop being such losers people. Get with the real. AP sent me to clear your heads. Musart.

Man, talk about a critique propelled by hindsight. So maybe "Kind of Blue" is the quintessential modal jazz album; doesn't mean it's the only modal jazz album to own if one is trying to piece together where modal jazz comes from. Furthermore, the idea that something is classic because lots and lots and lots of people love it is also suspect. Do you remember Ragtime, Dixieland, or Swing? That stuff is pretty non-classic nowadays, despite peoples' love for it many years ago.

A million Elvis fans can't be wrong, that is, until they all die.

good points made. one of my college profs. once said "there's two ways to study jazz, one by looking at the 'greats'", and i think that's what people generally do. Follow an "essentials" list. I mean, to me it doesn't make much sense that a particular person "started all this shit". But either way, although an "essentials" list may be a good place to start, at the end of the day, you like what you like, not what is historically significant.

and this might be a thought. maybe the younger generations ain't feeling that old shit, because it sounds dare i say, dated.

FYI, Dixieland is supposedly a term used mainly among white jazz musicians.

one of my college profs. once said "there's two ways to study jazz, one by looking at the 'greats'", and i think that's what people generally do.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/vol15/issue22/music.coltrane.html

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

one of my college profs. once said "there's two ways to study jazz, one by looking at the 'greats'", and i think that's what people generally do.

i'm sick and bored so i read it all. Very nicely written. So this was published in the Austin Chronicle?

i'm sick and bored so i read it all. Very nicely written. So this was published in the Austin Chronicle?

Yep, back in '96. Glad you liked it.

• I defecate on your Kind of Blue.

dang dude. thats pretty harsh, i think it's a good album to hand somebody who might be interested in jazz but hasnt heard much. You cant hand someone sun ra and be like "this right here is quintessential jazz/music" but i think Sun Ra is not only important but essential to a jazz collection. Kind of Blue was one of the first albums i heard, and got me into alot of other shit, gateway drug style, though i probably havent listened to it in a long while.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The reason I typed "sweating" was because it was mentioned above that everyone needed this record for "Ashley's Roachclip" alone. I actually wondered if that was even a notable cut (beyond being just another Chuck Brown cut) for older DC heads.

But "Ashley's Roach Clip" being an "essential break" is not the same as saying you need some Bob McGrath LP for a drum hit, or even people buying Albert King's "I'll Play the Blues For You" because the 10 second intro, which is completely unlike the 3 minute song that follows, was used in a Big Daddy Kane song..."Ashley's Roach Clip" is one of those handful of tracks that basically created the foundation of hip-hop - the entire song is pretty much a "break."
    And "Blow Your Whistle" is way more Go-Go than anything else on that LP, that shit is straight Go-Go. The 45 of "Blow Your Whistle" b/w "Funk to the Folks" is one of the illest 2-sided major label funk 7" of all time.

I think "Salt of the Earth" would definitely make an "essential funk LP" list of mine, it is strong from start to finish, even the version of "Close to You" is a fun listen - although I don't take these things more seriously than something to nerd over while I take breaks from doing real work on the computer...

And "Blow Your Whistle" is way more Go-Go than anything else on that LP, that shit is straight Go-Go. The 45 of "Blow Your Whistle"

Yeah Chuck Brown sings getting down at the gogo on Blow Your Whistle, but yo, I dont hear anything but straight funkrhythm on that track, whasup with all this gogo talk, gogo started out much later, like early 80's something in Washington DC...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    not really albums, but;

hendrix of tabla plus some clean guitar = sickness, they're playing at the montreal jazz festival but its godamn sold out

^definitely own this!