Options

My landscaping was robbed.

edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I went away for the weekend, left Friday morning and came home around 5 today. Some asshole stole one of my Canna lilies right out the ground in front of my house, leaving the other one behind and throwing my walkway plantings all out of balance. Any homeowners on here ever have plants stolen? It's common out here, landscapers or other homeowners steal shit right off your property. Mine was stolen in broad daylight too (I left at 11, neighbor said he noticed it gone at 4), and I'm on a semi-main road!!!I'm not feeling it.

Comments

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    That sucks man. Maybe install some lazers or some motion activated harsh voice

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've heard and seen it be done on the west side of our city. Dudes would steal new landscaping and sod from freshly built low income houses. Stealing sod is

Watch your air conditioner too.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    thats foul, matt. you should get 1 of those $30 security cameras they have at target. just hook it up to a dvr all day and if it happens again, you got em and they troupe.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Go ask the dude at Island Greenery over on Grand Ave. if any crackheads have been in trying to sell him some lilies.

My L.I. neighbors were so nosy that kinda shit coulda never gone down.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Any homeowners on here ever have plants stolen?

No, but I'm a renter who's had a pair of Calico Shubunkin stolen because the dude thought they were Koi

• Options
    Go ask the dude at Island Greenery over on Grand Ave. if any crackheads have been in trying to sell him some lilies.

That's funny, I live on Smith which turns into Grand when it crosses into Bellmore. I.Greenery is a mile from my house. I know Gene from Island Greenery, he went to high school with my sister. I think he runs one of their trucks. Might ride over there tomorrow.

Delay, cameras are coming soon. I was wrangling the idea anyway before this shit happened but this clinches it.

Deepbrnt, lasers are a good idea too but i got stray cats who come into my flowerbeds and piss every day, they'd set that shit off all the time and I'd be running out with a bat 5 or 6 times a day. You might have been clowning, but whatever. Lasers would be sick.

Sport, I might make a koi pond next year. Someone will probably steal them too.

In the grand scheme of things this is a relatively minor offense, but I was looking forward to this fucking thing blooming for two months and it started to come out on Friday morning when I checked on it before I left. I don't have kids, my family dog lives at my parents house, so these things I plant are the only things I have to care for. I like my fucking plants. Someone BETTER come and try and steal the other one, I'm looking forward to that shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I went away for the weekend, left Friday morning and came home around 5 today. Some asshole stole one of my Canna lilies right out the ground in front of my house, leaving the other one behind and throwing my walkway plantings all out of balance.

Any homeowners on here ever have plants stolen? It's common out here, landscapers or other homeowners steal shit right off your property. Mine was stolen in broad daylight too (I left at 11, neighbor said he noticed it gone at 4), and I'm on a semi-main road!!!

I'm not feeling it.

Sween,

This shit happened to my sister in law. They plant bamboo in their front lawn and a few months back, got some expensive black bamboo to add to their grove and some MFer ganked them out of their front yard! And this is in Hermosa Beach, which is pretty upscale for L.A.

They now keep all their black bamboo in the backyard.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    that sucks. it used to happen to me when i lived in the lower haight, but our plants were in pots. Still they were really big and heavy and it would always happen during the daytime. One time a guest locked his bike to the front stairway and someone stole one of his tires, but replaced it with a better one?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fucked up shit! People actually do that shit.....

• Options
    The replacement took nicely, this was taken yesterday or the day before.

I like flowers.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Once someone hears my Akita "Max" barking they leave the hell up out of my yard...

• My step dad's greenhouse was robbed. He built one connected to the house. They didn't steal any of the exotic, tropical plants he grew. They only stole the weed.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I work for a tree service company. We've been planting a bunch of trees lately. Someone swipped 2 potted Acacia trees last weekend.

On a similar note someone broke off the spark plugs from my motorcycle several days ago. Later someone shoved a screw driver into my ignition only to find that it wouldn't start because it had no spark plugs. Thieves are Frickin' stupid.

• my girl had a gardenia plant/bush and a really nice ficus stolen from her place a couple years ago...sucks. And as far as strange motor thefts, the thing around here as of late is stealing cadilytic converters because they have platinum in them, this one posh neighborhood had a rash of thefts recently...I think but I am not sure, but they are easy to get to on late model mercedes...but I could be wrong about that.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    my girl had a gardenia plant/bush and a really nice ficus stolen from her place a couple years ago...sucks. And as far as strange motor thefts, the thing around here as of late is stealing cadilytic converters because they have platinum in them, this one posh neighborhood had a rash of thefts recently...I think but I am not sure, but they are easy to get to on late model mercedes...but I could be wrong about that.

Funny, my co-workers cat was stolen recently. We had to front him $300 to buy a new one.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Fucked up shit! People actually do that shit.....

- spidey

I like flowers.

Beautiful. Some kind of Iris?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I like flowers.

Beautiful. Some kind of Iris?

canna lily, stated in the original story.

Nice.

• when i was in high school i did this. of course, i didnt "steal" them. i just ripped them out of the ground and put them in the pickup bed and we'd throw them out of the truck while driving. not that it is forgivable but i have a excuse of sorts. the only plants we dug up were them shaped japanese pines and those expensive japanese palms. any house we saw and we knew the residents werent asian and they rocked that chinee garden look. we would walk out there with shovels and pruning shears and go to work. sorry this happened to you sween. but karma is a bitch. im sure in the near future i will be robbed of all my plants, pelted by green oranges, and verbally assaulted by a army of mentally and physically challenged folks.

• when i was in high school i did this.

yup get my girl a nice fresh bouquet...

um, bro. like i had a girlfriend in high school. but thanks for reminding me.

chinee garden look

Is this similar to the grown man tree style?

• chinee garden look

Is this similar to the grown man tree style?

well it usually involves a miniature red bridge and a cement pagoda from home depot. is that grown man trees?

• some kids in philly went to the burbs and loaded their truck up with peoples lawn potted plants. i thought it was a cool idea (i was a young dickhead at the time) and figured id do the same some day. thankfully i never did. thats some asshole shit.
    sorry about your flowers sween! i knew you had a sensitive side.

security wise, im tyring to figure out what to do too for the house im working on.
    i got robbed blind last wednesday. maybe even an inside job. stole 3 stories of scaffolding, a 30 ft fiberglass ladder, most of the copper pipe in the house,an assortment of supplies and materials, they flooded the first floor and they fucked up my new shower/bath trying to get the fuckin faucets. trying to let it go, but its a difficult exercise.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

i got robbed blind last wednesday. maybe even an inside job. stole 3 stories of scaffolding, a 30 ft fiberglass ladder, most of the copper pipe in the house,an assortment of supplies and materials, they flooded the first floor and they fucked up my new shower/bath trying to get the fuckin faucets. trying to let it go, but its a difficult exercise.

That really sucks, T*ny. I'm sorry to hear that.

That it could have been an inside job makes it even worse, as it just makes you that much more paranoid and mistrusting. My older sister had an inside job pulled on her primary London house a few years ago. She was away in Italy, and when she came back the house was just ransacked. The thieves made off with all types of shit, including her laptop (on which she had the lone copy of a screenplay she had just finished), and $300,000+ worth of art. The thieves also left a 60" plasma screen TV smashed in the middle of living room. Nothing was ever recovered.

• fuuuuuuuccccccccckk. especially about the screenplay. that sounds uninsurable.

fuuuuuuuccccccccckk. especially about the screenplay. that sounds uninsurable.

Yeah, that was by far the worst part. It was something she had worked on for close to 2 years. She was gutted. Everything else, other than one painting her friend had done especially for her, was (more or less) replaceable. The police estimated the robbers had actually come back on several consecutive evenings. Makes me kind of ill to think about.

• no doubt. terrible feeling to be victimized.

i say for vengeance, we catch sweeen's flower bandits and burn them at the stake.

no doubt. terrible feeling to be victimized.

i say for vengeance, we catch sweeen's flower bandits and burn them at the stake.

That sounds fair. Other strutters with pent-up rage are welcome to join.

• On a similar note someone broke off the spark plugs from my motorcycle several days ago. Later someone shoved a screw driver into my ignition only to find that it wouldn't start because it had no spark plugs. Thieves are Frickin' stupid.

B'lieve those were crackheads. I had an old BMW (R60/5) years ago and someone stole my spark plugs, too. I went to a bike shop in the 'Loin to get some replacement plugs and they said, "Oh yeah...crackheads steal plugs all the time and use 'em as pipes."