Starting from Scratch- Boogaloo (RR)

thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
For the past few months, I've been researching the Boogaloo era/genre and now have gained a greater appreciation for latin music overall (late pass). I have a few pieces (Buena Vista Social Club S/T, Bwana, Nil's, Copa 7, to name a few) but am getting deeper into these genres.I started with Joe Bataan, and several of other comps to get a better feel for what I might be looking for. So, I stepped up my game and went to GM and copped Johnny Colon's Boogaloo '67. I've also been looking at the Fania, Cotique, Tico, et al. catalogs for more research.My question is- what do Stutters think are the essential pieces that need to be in my crates? Obviously, to each its own, I know, but, it's always good to see what "the experts" are picking up.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Damn, I thought this was gonna be a thread with having Mark gettin' down.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    me too, dude had some great r&b mixtapes bitd

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    oops, hit "send" by accident. Still writing...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    O-dub probably has a much better handl on the genre than me, but for my money, Joe Cuba is a good beginning point:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Latin&page=2

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Latin&page=3

• Thanks! I saw Joe Cuba sitting at GM for a minute- hopefully, when I go back, it won't be gone.

• Thanks motown67 for the review list. Keep'em coming Strutters...

For the past few months, I've been researching the Boogaloo era/genre and now have gained a greater appreciation for latin music overall (late pass). I have a few pieces (Buena Vista Social Club S/T, Bwana, Nil's, Copa 7, to name a few) but am getting deeper into these genres.

I started with Joe Bataan, and several of other comps to get a better feel for what I might be looking for. So, I stepped up my game and went to GM and copped Johnny Colon's Boogaloo '67. I've also been looking at the Fania, Cotique, Tico, et al. catalogs for more research.

My question is- what do Stutters think are the essential pieces that need to be in my crates? Obviously, to each its own, I know, but, it's always good to see what "the experts" are picking up.

Luckily, your timing coincides with Fania re-releasing dozens of albums that might be to your interest, including many albums formerly on Tico and Cotique that Fania has managed to buy out.

The question though is whether you want entire albums or best-of comps. Given that a lot o boogaloo-era albums had material on there that wasn't striclty boogaloo but were also mambos, cha cha chas, guarachas, etc. if you're just hunting boogaloo stuff, then, in some cases, you might be better off with a comp rather than trying to nail down the entire album.

That said, here's what I'd recommend for starters:

Ricardo Ray: Se Solto
    It's arguably the first album to use the Latin boogaloo title and even though it's not considered a top tier boogaloo album, I think it's worth having just for the sake of. Plus, it's not that expensive, all things considered.

Joe Cuba: Bang! Bang! Bang! Push! Push! Push!
    ESSENTIAL. And great.

Pete Rodriguez: I Like It Like That
    To me, not quite as essential as the Cuba album but "I Like It Like That" was a monster hit and the other boogaloos on here are decent too.

Joe Bataan: Gypsy Woman + Subway Joe
    Boogaloo/Latin soul at their finest meeting point. All of Bataan's Fania stuff is excellent, especially "Riot," but I'd start with these two for certain.

Ray Barretto: Acid
    ESSENTIAL. I'd also, eventually, get "Together," "Hard Hands" and "Power"..."Latino Con Soul" too, but start with "Acid." Barretto is, to me, the most vital force in this whole lineage given how he helped influence the early sound of Latin soul and then ends up dropping these monster albums in the genre (and post-boogaloo). I celebrate his whole catalog.

Comp-wise, I've always been a big fan of the Harmless series of Latin soul/boogaloo albums. They have very good taste and their liner notes are good for learning more. THeir four main titles are:

Big Bad Boogaloo
    Broasted or Fried
    Freak Off
    Brown Sugar

All are highly recommended.

I haven't checked out some of these new Fania comps that have dropped like "Boogaloo Di Siempre" or that Gilles Peterson CD, but both look like they have solid titles on there.

I'd also recommending reading - with careful qualifiers - Juan Flores' "Cha Cha With a Backbeat" which remains the only real scholarly research into the history of boogaloo. Keep in mind: Flores gets down some important parts of the history BUT he also gets some facts surprisingly wrong (for example, he says Willie Colon never recorded any boogaloos which is patently incorrect since "El Malo" has several boogaloos on it). Flores' essay is still a good place to start though.

• Boogaloo.. mmmm yes please. I went to this nice place for lunch one day when i was visiting st louis. Made me wish we had something out this way to hang out at for lunch.

http://www.boogaloorestaurant.com/

I have some really hot nuyorican cds from early/mid 90s that would help you gauge what your feeling. I can link a few tracks up later after work. The Lat-Teens, Pucho & His Latin Soul Brothers, The Latin Souls and The Latinaires. Johnny Colos "Boogaloo Blues" is a fav for me and Hector Riveras "At the Party" is also nice.

I would say start with stuff by these artists and branch out from that.

El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico
    Charlie Palmieri
    Ray Barretto
    Willie Bobo
    Willie Col??n
    Mongo Santamaria
    Pete Terrace
    Joe Cuba
    Bobby Valentin
    Larry Harlow
    Candido
    Ricardo Ray
    Joe Bataan

• Thanks Oliver,

I have Flores' part on Boogaloo already so I think I'm off to a good start per your recommendations.

I also bought Our Latin Thing DVD and that shit is to me.

Oliver, is it also true that many latin "purists" destest Boogaloo due to it not being true latin music i.e. Salsa or Mambo?

Thanks Oliver,

I have Flores' part on Boogaloo already so I think I'm off to a good start per your recommendations.

I also bought Our Latin Thing DVD and that shit is to me.

Oliver, is it also true that many latin "purists" destest Boogaloo due to it not being true latin music i.e. Salsa or Mambo?

That's the conventional wisdom though I don't know there's a huge consensus around it. Certainly, a lot of Latin giants like Puente and Eddie Palmieri thought very little of the boogaloo...even though they recorded them (Palmieri's "Aye Que Rico" really is quite excellent). From Bataan's perspective, he felt like there was a lot of resentment by mambo-era giants towards the young cats making money off boogaloo and there's some interesting racial subtexts to this controversy as well.

What you can say is that boogaloo drew much more from African American rhythm than previous Latin dances that made it big in the U.S. (which were mostly Cuban in origin) and that this crossover between the Black and Brown audiences was extraordinary even if it wasn't unprecedented (i.e. Nuyorican ballrooms attracted diverse crowds pre-boogaloo).

I'd also add: what gets interesting is this idea that boogaloo was intentionally shut down by a collusion between radio DJs, promoters, Fania (in particular) and the older Latin players who wanted to see the boogaloo kids put out of business. Again, this has become conventional wisdom but I don't know if there's many corroborating sources besides a handful. Stylistically, boogaloo probably would have burned itself off regardless though, the evolution of Latin soul really thrived in that era and extended far beyond as you can see in the music of Barretto, Bataan, Willie Colon and others.

• Thanks for a more in-depth look into Boogaloo. I think it is very interesting, both, the music and the history behind it.

A more of a logistical digging question. I am having a hard time finding Boogaloo stuff, albeit I'm only digging in the Sacramento/San Francisco/Oakland/other Northern Cali areas or online (Bay on occasion or Dusty). I do wanna see what Records has though (on Melrose).

I heard many latin vinyl come from NY or East Coast and rarely makes/made its way West. Places like GM have these pieces cuz Chris actually looks for these pieces. So is it the case of these pieces being rare or shit is just dried up already out here. Perhaps a little bit of both?

The quest always continues though. Never stop digging!!!

• I can link a few tracks up later after work.

Greatly appreciate it!!!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I know it's Mambo, but check out some Perez Prado. I've been in the same latin place lately, and he's been my one of my favorites that wasn't mentioned. I just picked up a Peruvian comp called "Gozalo - Bugalu Tropical" that I've been enjoying.

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts
    I know it's Mambo, but check out some Perez Prado. I've been in the same latin place lately, and he's been my one of my favorites that wasn't mentioned. I just picked up a Peruvian comp called "Gozalo - Bugalu Tropical" that I've been enjoying.

Perez Prado, like many other artists, also jumped on the Boogaloo bandwagon and released his own album of boogaloo songs. I don't quite remember the title, though it comes up on ebay here and there. He also released later on some funky instrumental albums, though not boogaloo, under his full name damaso perez prado on dimsa and orfeon. you should definitely pick these up when you can, as well as that "bugala tropical" album (i think dustygroove has it) which has killer boogaloo songs from south america.

Perez Prado, like many other artists, also jumped on the Boogaloo bandwagon and released his own album of boogaloo songs. I don't quite remember the title, though it comes up on ebay here and there. He also released later on some funky instrumental albums, though not boogaloo, under his full name damaso perez prado on dimsa and orfeon. you should definitely pick these up when you can, as well as that "bugala tropical" album (i think dustygroove has it) which has killer boogaloo songs from south america.

Yeah, that Vampisoul comp is all boogaloo from Peru, specifically...I don't think it's across all South America.

And it's funny that Prado should come out. I was listening to his 1976 Dimsa album, "El Fabuloso" album before this thread came on. I wouldn't really call it boogaloo (nor his earlier stuff like "Love Child" or "Escandalo" boogaloo albums but they're definitely on some Latin funk tip.

But if thesolelife is interested in boogaloo stuff, I wouldn't try to sift the Prado stuff in there just yet. It's on some other sound.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I can second the vote for Ray Barretto's "Acid." I got the reissue last week. Definitely worth it.

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts

Yeah, that Vampisoul comp is all boogaloo from Peru, specifically...I don't think it's across all South America.

Yeah, that comp does not cover all of South America, just Peruvian Boogaloo releases from the label Mag. Though, some of the artists are from other parts than Peru, like Alfredito Linares who's from Ecuador.