Stuff your grandfolks always said...

Egbert_SouseEgbert_Souse 920 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
My grandma's favorite phrase was "slower than molasses in the winter time".As in, 'that car is moving slower than molasses in the wintertime!'Also she said "Tough titties said the kitty when the milk went dry", which was weird, just because its weird hearing your grandma said "titties".Alright, add on.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Pop "Look at her. She's built like a brick shit-house."
    Gram "Joe!"

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

"You have to eat a load of muck before you die"

Said when anything edible hit the floor...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Foresight is to the wise man what hindsight is to the foolish man.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    My Mom's dad always measured things in normal miles and "Country Miles" ; as in "the baseball must;ve flown a country mile before touchin' down"

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    "making more noise than two skeleton fuking on a tin roof"

• "making more noise than two skeleton fuking on a tin roof"

Thats bizarre but funny....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    two skeleton fuking on a tin roof

That's my favorite Tennessee Williams play.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Are you taking dance classes? No? Then how are you going to meet a nice girl?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Ill give you a Knuckle Sandwich, boy!"

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Pop "Look at her. She's built like a brick shit-house."

cosign

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Who the Hell irons a T-Shirt!"

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    "He was born on 3rd and thought he hit a triple."
    "She can talk the hind leg off a cat".
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the good God split ya."

My dad always described things as "slow as molasses" or "fast as greased lightning".

Grandma, about someone she didn't like: "He can go shit in his hat."

My abuela on my mom's side used to call foods like sunflower seeds and pomegranate "comida de bobo" because it took so much effort for so little payoff.

Not a saying, but I've got a step-uncle who always sits in the back closest to the door in case a fight breaks out. This is including church.

• Not a saying, but I've got a step-uncle who always sits in the back closest to the door in case a fight breaks out. This is including church.

This counts because of how totally awesome it is.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    My grandfather's famous line...

"Honey, get me another drink... I can still hear the kids"

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    My grandfather: "Do they have (some unique thing only found in India) like these in America? They don't? That's why India is better than America."

He could be referring to mangoes, Indian sweets, or anything else. Drove me crazy because I'd try to outfox him but he always won.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    My Grandma says this all the time" I ain't stunting them folks"
    Meaning, I don't give a fuck what they say or do to me, I'll never worry!!!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    [Catholic imposed guilt]"God's going to punish you."[/Catholic imposed guilt]

I guess this is why I didn't really like going to church when I was little.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    My grandparents don??t really have alot of standard lines, but my deceased granfather on my father??s side said some stuff I??ll never forget.

Towards the end of his life he got terminal cancer and a shitload of related diseases. I mean, he was on chemotherapy, his hair was falling out, they did that thing where they put your intestine out and hook it to a bag (what??s this called in English?), constant IV, and about 10-20 pills A DAY. Clearly the end was near, and even I, a kid of about 7 at the time could see that.

At dinner he would have to eat about 7 of these WEIRD-looking pills; banana-shaped, blue, green, white with stripes and all that, and they were serious drugs all of them. Still he??d turn to us kids with a grin and go

"Look at all my candy! I get all this candy because I built this house and worked my ass off. Go mow the lawn and I might give you some."

RIP

- J

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    From my family tree: "I didn't know whether to shit or go blind, so I closed my eyes & I farted real loud."

My Grandma says this all the time" I ain't stunting them folks"
    Meaning, I don't give a fuck what they say or do to me, I'll never worry!!!

My grandma said it too. But I believe the expression is more like "I ain't STUDYIN' you."