UK Digging?

124»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    You UK dudes would do yourself well to educate yourself on some UK folk. Original UK pressings of stuff can be big money someties. Anne Briggs on topic, UK shriley collins, etc. Stuff that people on soulstrut might not be into. I think some of this stuff is good when done correctly (Anne Briggs, Nick Drake, Shelagh McDonald, the first Steeley Span, Jade Fly on Springwingams (sp?), Trees, etc).

Basically there's tons of UK Folk from the late 60s and 70s that is worth money. You have to get them in prime shape, though. Even things like first or second pressings of the first Fairport Convention titles. After spending the past few months schooling myself on this topic I want to go to the UK very badly. I need the two Trees albums

Oh, man, I been knowin' about this stuff. One of my boys was behind the reissue of "Just Another Diamond Day", and was also involved in the first-ever release of the Wicker Man soundtrack. The thing with folk collectors is they're a little like psych collectors - they know what's what, they know what shit's worth and they tend to hang on to it. Over the last four or five years, there's been a resurgence of interest in folk over here, and prices have shot up accordingly - you'll be lucky to cop Nadia Cattouse's "Earth Mother" for less than ??30 now, and early Pentangle joints like "Cruel Sister" and "Basket of Light", which were coppable at the ??4 - ??5 mark not so long ago will often go for three times that.

The Trees' "On The Shore" album has just been reissued over here, mainly off the back of "Geordie" being sampled by Gnarls Barkley. I'm fairly sure that an o.g of that would have relieved you of a hundred bones before Danger Mouse got hold of it. You might want to check out this, if you're not already up on it - some fantastic stuff on there. Also the archives page here might still have an active link to the demos for the unreleased third Trees album, as well as some unreleased stuff by Mellow Candle, who were responsible for the rare-as-rocking-horse-shit "Swaddling Songs".

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I've found two copies of Anne Briggs on topic in CANADA. Records are out there. I mean, jesus, I found Christmas on Paragon for $3 one month ago. I am not a major dude in this game either. Holy grails can still be found in thrifts. What's with the defeatist attitude?

DocMcoy. Rad. I have not heard On The Shore yet and am aware of it's rather large price tag (I could do with an American pressing), but I did get an 80s pressing of Garden of Jane Delawney in a collection recently. I know heads are up on UK folk, but I was trying to let these dudes who are getting disappointed with thrifts to try to broaden their horizon, try to get down with what is big in their area, because they'll be more likely to find those things than private jazzfunk monsters from America.

I did not know gnarls barkley sampled Trees, but I'm pretty sure On The Shore has been a rare record for a long time.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Oxfam and Cancer Research are the worst offenders at that i've found!

yeah.

Fuck Cancer research.

Dont give those pricks your money, theyll only spend it on fucking cancer research.

Useless cunts.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've found two copies of Anne Briggs on topic in CANADA. Records are out there. I mean, jesus, I found Christmas on Paragon for $3 one month ago. I am not a major dude in this game either. Holy grails can still be found in thrifts. What's with the defeatist attitude?

DocMcoy. Rad. I have not heard On The Shore yet and am aware of it's rather large price tag (I could do with an American pressing), but I did get an 80s pressing of Garden of Jane Delawney in a collection recently. I know heads are up on UK folk, but I was trying to let these dudes who are getting disappointed with thrifts to try to broaden their horizon, try to get down with what is big in their area, because they'll be more likely to find those things than private jazzfunk monsters from America.

I did not know gnarls barkley sampled Trees, but I'm pretty sure On The Shore has been a rare record for a long time.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you'd find Anne Briggs records in Canada. A lot of Irish and Scots emigrated to Canada & the US in the 60's and 70's, and a lot of those emigres probably took their records with them.

• ConcourseConcourse 26 Posts

yeah.

Fuck Cancer research.

Dont give those pricks your money, theyll only spend it on fucking cancer research.

Useless cunts.

If only that was the case...

Charities are shady corporations these days. Esp. Oxfam. if you had to live under the tyranny of student street wankers on ??15 p.h. asking you daily for contributions of whivh 20% at best would reach intended "causes", you qould probbly think the same.

also:

STAY OFF OUR TURF, FUCKERS

IF ANYONE FINDS MINT BRIGGS IT SHOULDBE ME
    (or francis maybe)

sorry i'm drunk. but really, charities are cunts, and so is anyone who finds the topic lp for cheap unl;ess its me.

yeah.

Fuck Cancer research.

Useless cunts.

If only that was the case...

Charities are shady corporations these days. Esp. Oxfam. if you had to live under the tyranny of student street wankers on ??15 p.h. asking you daily for contributions of whivh 20% at best would reach intended "causes", you qould probbly think the same.

also:

STAY OFF OUR TURF, FUCKERS

IF ANYONE FINDS MINT BRIGGS IT SHOULDBE ME
    (or francis maybe)

sorry i'm drunk. but really, charities are cunts, and so is anyone who finds the topic lp for cheap unl;ess its me.

Haha, I know, but i couldnt resist.

I had the displeasure of hitting up some charity shops in Edinburgh last year... damn.

And i grew up with that, i learned about the music i love from literally 'discovering' it in NZs equivalent: the Salvation Army stores, then when i lived in Aussie, there was St Vinnies...

great finds, great prices, and, as a kid with little to no disposable income, you could afford to take a punt.

What i experienced last year was a joke, rinked bullshit records, all overpriced and hipster douchebags behind the counter.

add the smell of catpiss and mould...

bololocks.

(i meant to type bollocks, but bololocks is better).

Then, when i get all disillusioned, i read one of Sheep or Franks threads and i get that itch again.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The death of digging is much exaggerated.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Hey, it does happen. But, as you say, you have to go into nearly every shop you see. But I don't understand the 'whats the point in looking' attitude? I assumed we all did that anyway? I can't walk past any charity / junk / cheapo shop without having to 'just pop in' & check for rekkids. 'Cos if I don't then I'm convinced it'll be the shop with the pile of mint hip hop/psych/folk/jazz raers for 5p each. Thats what I think anyway. Usually its 3 old Tom Jones lps, (& not 'looking out my window'). But then, once in a while, it is something lovely. which makes it all worth it.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    when i get all disillusioned, i read one of Sheep or Franks threads and i get that itch again.

awwww... but don't come here, I'll come there... Amsterdam trip changed to Barcelona trip, but plans are for a MASSIVE invasion of the Dam/Utrecht in November... are you UP FOR IT?

when i get all disillusioned, i read one of Sheep or Franks threads and i get that itch again.

awwww... but don't come here, I'll come there... Amsterdam trip changed to Barcelona trip, but plans are for a MASSIVE invasion of the Dam/Utrecht in November... are you UP FOR IT?

Im up, down and all for it bro.