UK Digging?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Fuck the charity shop turds too. A lot of people fool themselves out here to think some of that stuff is cool, then their tastes change and end up finding funky things in the weirdest and shittest of places...

What like Aussie Jazz and Japanese manga turds.

There's some amazing aussie jazz, amazing Japanese manga too. There's some UTTER SHIT too (check eBay anime records there now sold as "funky", most of those are shit).

Don't get all asshut here, I was just stating my 2 pence. I'd take some Japanese manga record over 90% of those charity shop Ray Davies, Tony Hatch, Geoff Love records anyday mate. I'd still at least have a decent cover to look at.

Aussie jazz can be absolute shit too, but I never traded or sold any of that weak crap in my time, don't even have copies of it, only the good quality schitt...

There's turds everywhere, Japan, Germany, Africa, in my toilet. But, I don't really have time to fuck with wack records and the simple fact is that most (NOT ALL) of these UK "charity shop" or "boot sale" classics are utter shit. Japanese anime has a higher ratio of heat to shit. And Aussie Jazz, well if you know the key players, you're gunna get some heat.

peace.

• well ok. I'll start researching on those names and see if i can track em down.

How long have you been making beats?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Another thing is, everyone thinks that The UK will be full of library records in everywhere, that's far from the case, I've seen 'em at fairs and in shops, but at a premium price... I guess unless you're hittin' up the sticks or radio stations, you're not gunna see bulk of that for cheap!

Kinda like thinking you can just buy a ticket to Texas, and walk away with a pile of rare ass funk 45s.

Another thing is, everyone thinks that The UK will be full of library records in everywhere, that's far from the case, I've seen 'em at fairs and in shops, but at a premium price... I guess unless you're hittin' up the sticks or radio stations, you're not gunna see bulk of that for cheap!

Kinda like thinking you can just buy a ticket to Texas, and walk away with a pile of rare ass funk 45s.

Pretty much, that would be the case years ago, but not anymore. I actually tend to find that local "RAERS" are more expensive in the country of origin compared to on eBay or other countries. Especially in France.

• well ok. I'll start researching on those names and see if i can track em down.

Not very long compared to some people. Well i started out digging not so long ago and i've mostly being buying on ebay and reissues (you know the more well known names catching up). But not putting myself down too much I think my drums are getting good tho cos i've really been putting in the work! I don't really look for rares. Just stuff i like.

Not very long compared to some people. Well i started out digging not so long ago and i've mostly being buying on ebay and reissues (you know the more well known names catching up). But not putting myself down too much I think my drums are getting good tho cos i've really been putting in the work! I don't really look for rares. Just stuff i like.

I'm getting this impression that you're not happy with your end results because you can't manipulate your source material well enough...?

You should check out www.mpc-forums.com (if its an mpc you're using)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Ye thats definetly how i feel. I feel as though i'm forced to like those charity shop shitters. Top of the Pops records just aren't my thing. And it can get depressing checking out what the US heads on here are getting for $3.

All this just makes me wanna save up a plane ticket to go to the US and bring sum good records home! I mean i'm not after rare records. Just stuff i like the sound of and records that are worth the money.

Whats London prices like? Never been which is shocking lol

London is more expensive than any other place in the UK really.

I mean, I went to Paris and France to dig, I thought that was expensive, but it's nothing compared to out here. Common ass soul records like Barry White in VG- condition for $30 US, get the fuck outta here! Then again, those are in actual record stores, as with anywhere in the world, do the research do the hard yards, you'll turn stuff up.

Fuck the charity shop turds too. A lot of people fool themselves out here to think some of that stuff is cool, then their tastes change and end up finding funky things in the weirdest and shittest of places... The amount of times I've heard "check this funky track out" and I'm like "uhhhhhh huhhhhh"... hahah. I mean I've met people who said they don't listen to hip-hop, wouldn't even know who Chuck D or Flav are tell me "check out this drum break", the shittest drums you've ever heard, and I'm like "do you make beats"... "no, not really"... do you DJ... "no"... then why the fuck you collect breaks for son!!! I mean it's all cool to collect drum breaks if you make beats or are a DJ that does doubles or have an appreciation for the asthetics of hip-hop I guess.. but???...

About 10% of the stuff people turd on about from the budget UK labels is cool... musical so many people feel the necessity to spend a pound on a shit for the fuck of getting a record. That's $2! 10 turds is $20. An instant CTI record right there!! hahaha

I mean, like you said, save up and go on a trip to dig if you want, I'm going to Spain soon, then the US, Amsterdam, Europe. The UK is a great jumping point to Europe. You can get tickets for 7 pounds on some airlines around Europe...

Good luck man, if you're ever in Edinburgh, feel free to hit me up, I got actual GOOD records at the crib I can trade you or play you...

peace.

Sheep, you sound bitter. There are clearly tons of good records to be had if you know what you're looking for and charity shops are as fertile a hunting ground as anywhere. No point looking for classic US records in the UK and expecting cheap US prices. Also the fact that you haven't found many decent records is just your experience.

You don't have to be a hip-hop DJ or producer or even 'have an appreciation of the aesthetics of hip-hop' to appreciate a drum break. Seems like a futile and expensive hobby to me but the wider point is why do you have to shit on other people's tastes - it's largely subjective, isn't it? Not sure who appointed you to head up the Music Police.

Nice to read there is one person in the UK with GOOD records. What are we going to do when you leave?

Sheep, you sound bitter. There are clearly tons of good records to be had if you know what you're looking for and charity shops are as fertile a hunting ground as anywhere. No point looking for classic US records in the UK and expecting cheap US prices. Also the fact that you haven't found many decent records is just your experience.

Not bitter whatsoever, I have a life outside of records, but after spending a couple of months hunting around, here and in London, I personally find the "good" shit people seem to push in shops, pretty shit. Trust me, US records are the last things I'm looking for. You are correct in your assumption that my views are from my experience, I wasn't saying that there aren't any records here, re-read my post. I just said the "common charity shop dollar bin HEATERS" are mainly turds.

You don't have to be a hip-hop DJ or producer or even 'have an appreciation of the aesthetics of hip-hop' to appreciate a drum break. Seems like a futile and expensive hobby to me but the wider point is why do you have to shit on other people's tastes - it's largely subjective, isn't it? Not sure who appointed you to head up the Music Police.

Not sure who appointed you to shit on someones opinion either pommie. Maybe I'm wrong, but collecting $300 drum breaks seems a little silly if you're not making beats or DJing... I never understood it, once again my opinion here too.

Nice to read there is one person in the UK with GOOD records. What are we going to do when you leave?

Probably go back to listening to your James Last collection.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    great thread yo.

I might see if I can get out to the car boots and charity shops this weekend to show you what kind of stuff comes up... I would say I'm seriously rusty on my real world digging at the moment, but I suppose what better excuse to get back into it!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    well ok. I'll start researching on those names and see if i can track em down.

I might see if I can get out to the car boots and charity shops this weekend to show you what kind of stuff comes up... I would say I'm seriously rusty on my real world digging at the moment, but I suppose what better excuse to get back into it!

With this weather we'll be lucky to get any carboots this summer.

How are the booties where you are? Me and the crew hit the Edinburgh one weekly, there was 2 consecutive weeks with good psych and prog there (which I missed), but it's mostly "Golden Hour Of" comps, bagpipe records (not Jimmy Pryde) and the such...

peace.

Here are some UK records that are decent, some are really hard to find now though, some are cheapies;

Terry Cavendish Orchestra - S/T
    Button Down Brass - Cops N Robbers
    Astro-Sounds From Beyond The Year 2000'
    Loot - Soundtrack
    Groupie Girl - Soundtrack
    John Schroeder - You've Made Me So Very Happy
    John Schroeder - Gangster Movie Vibrations
    Mike Samms Singers - Hymms A Swinging (Davjon)
    The Harry Roche Constellation - Spiral
    Ray Davies - Funk In Hell (a "classic" but it's a little ehhh)
    Moody - The Gentle Rain
    Bullet - Hanged Man OST
    Jimmy Pryde - Pipe Dream (funky bagpipe breaks)
    Skin Ed - Goes Skin Deep (titties and drums on the cover, can't miss it)
    Zzebra - Panic (prog jazz)
    Geoff Love - Big Terror Themes
    A Certain Ratio - check all their stuff, decent New Wave stuff + a cover of "Shack Up"
    Man - Evolution (this is also on a budget "Golden hour" version of this record)
    Kokomo - their first 2 albums are nice, I read somewhere Bambaata used to use this
    Purple Fox - Tribute to Jimi Hendrix
    Soul Unlimited - Sweet Soul Hits (cheesy covers of Joy, etc.)
    Sight & Sound - Movie Themes of Today (Fragment of Fear)
    Funky Junction - 2 albums -- Gladys Knight + Deep Purple covers

peace.

The weather has been beautiful in Edinburgh the past 3 days, lets hope it stays up!!!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

I don't know, they're pretty diehard down here, even in the middle of freezing winters they're still going on, thought my hands were actually gonna drop off!
    A lot of places find indoor locations to move to as well, always worth checking church jumble sales...

I don't know, they're pretty diehard down here, even in the middle of freezing winters they're still going on, thought my hands were actually gonna drop off!
    A lot of places find indoor locations to move to as well, always worth checking church jumble sales...

The local one is 5 levels deep in an underground carpark...

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Here are some UK records that are decent, some are really hard to find now though, some are cheapies;

Moody - The Gentle Rain
    Bullet - Hanged Man OST
    Jimmy Pryde - Pipe Dream (funky bagpipe breaks)
    Skin Ed - Goes Skin Deep (titties and drums on the cover, can't miss it)
    Zzebra - Panic (prog jazz)
    Geoff Love - Big Terror Themes
    A Certain Ratio - check all their stuff, decent New Wave stuff + a cover of "Shack Up"
    Man - Evolution (this is also on a budget "Golden hour" version of this record)
    Kokomo - their first 2 albums are nice, I read somewhere Bambaata used to use this
    Purple Fox - Tribute to Jimi Hendrix
    Soul Unlimited - Sweet Soul Hits (cheesy covers of Joy, etc.)
    Sight & Sound - Movie Themes of Today (Fragment of Fear)
    Funky Junction - 2 albums -- Gladys Knight + Deep Purple covers

Check for musicians such as John Schroeder, etc. too

peace.

Good list. Can I just say, coming back into this thread a little late, the original post was there are no rekkids. There are rekkids, you just have to look for them. And there is a lot of crap. And (as your list demonstrates) it isn't all about bleeding tv themes either. I was trying to inject a little enthusiasm for geezer. Ah well. *shuffles off to ebay*

I'll be honest I've not been proper digging for I'd say 2 years at least (as already stated, you don't get funk 45's at car boots)
    but I'd have to agree with the poofter above me in that car boots are pretty hardcore...I would say they seem to be alot more popular (not just uk "haet") but more for bargain hunters in general. You get every tom dick and harry out on a sunday looking for Egyptian antiquity raers or stupid shit. Mainly comes from a lot of daytime telly now has all these types of "turn your junk into papes" programs so everyone is on the bandwagon.

The car boots in general round here were pretty good for records... Theres not many dealers round here so any that would've come would've been from an hour or so away. Theres one particular car boot that regularly causes a traffic jam every sunday cos its so popular....

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    pommie.

Nope. I just live here.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Back in the early 90's, when I had even less of a clue than I do now and was mainly digging for funk, jazz and disco, there was a spot I used to hit up in Streatham, South London (an old s/h bookshop long since closed) on a regular basis. They had about two or three huge crates of library records, and whilst I knew more or less what library records were, I had no idea they were (or would become) in any way sought after and, besides, my budget at the time wouldn't have allowed me to take a blind punt on so many in the hope of coming up. Older and wiser as I am now, I often wonder what became of that stash, because I'm sure they couldn't all have been out-and-out turds.

To stay on topic, whenever I'm in Manchester I try and make a bit of time to drop in here. It ain't especially cheap or anything, and the pricing on the site is much more arbitrary than it is instore, but if you're willing to put the effort in, there's some interesting stuff to be had there. They've even got a "potential future samples/breaks" section in the 45's which is definitely worth nosing through.

I remember exactly the same thing, early 90s, in one of the now defunct record shops on Hanway St, and there was about 100 library lps in a pile. Obviously a local production house having a clear out. "Whats all this rubbish", I thought, as I perused the Cookie Crew 12s. Balls.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Where I am at the moment, when it rains, it floods. A lot. So no carboots.

But on the issue of Uk records. There are thousands of good records out there, jazz, funk, rock, psych, reggae etc. To suggesting anything to the contrary is just nonsense.
    Finding is the hard part, but it's also the fun part. I think charity shop terds, as they're been labelled, are cool for the beginner digger. I loved it when I could get excited about finding James Last's 'Well kept Secret', or John Williams - Height Below. Sure beats going out expecting to find 'heat' every time, and ending up disappointed and bitter.

Where I am at the moment, when it rains, it floods. A lot. So no carboots.

But on the issue of Uk records. There are thousands of good records out there, jazz, funk, rock, psych, reggae etc. To suggesting anything to the contrary is just nonsense.
    Finding is the hard part, but it's also the fun part. I think charity shop terds, as they're been labelled, are cool for the beginner digger. I loved it when I could get excited about finding James Last's 'Well kept Secret', or John Williams - Height Below. Sure beats going out expecting to find 'heat' every time, and ending up disappointed and bitter.

• With this weather we'll be lucky to get any carboots this summer.

The weather has been beautiful in Edinburgh the past 3 days, lets hope it stays up!!!

Ye the flooding has slowed everything down around here. There used to be a car boot nr Doncaster Racecourse but last 2 week i went it was just a big empty field :S Theres one in the car park near Doncaster bus stn but it was small as hell. Couldn't even call it a car boot! There is a record fair at the Dome sometimes but last time i went too l8!

• does the uk have proper record fairs? if so, when.

charity shop, easy listening breaks are no substitute for actual good records (even tho there are a few decent ones as sheep mentioned). i have only been here for a year but honestly the record game in the uk is super weak.

does the uk have proper record fairs? if so, when.

charity shop, easy listening breaks are no substitute for good records. i have only been here for a year but honestly the record game in the uk is super weak.

Ah, righto then. thanks for that. Hadn't realised that was the case, but now you point it out, you're right.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Where are you from originally fishmongerfunk?

• does the uk have proper record fairs? if so, when.

charity shop, easy listening breaks are no substitute for actual good records (even tho there are a few decent ones as sheep mentioned). i have only been here for a year but honestly the record game in the uk is super weak.

you've been here a year and don't know if the UK has "proper" record fairs.....?

• its no diss on the uk to say the record scene is lacking. in fact, its dried up in a number of locales around the world.

i have been to a few smaller regional fairs here but nothing to write home about. at a certain point i realized that there were good records but that the effort and cost required to track them down here were completely out of proportion.

i went through a phase of buying shit charity shop things to console myself but have come to the realization that i would rather spend my time with my girl or studying or working and save my money for records that i actually wanted and to go on trips to places that have records.

i am from canada and i love it here in the uk. all i am saying is that compared to ssome other places, its just a little harder to come up here record-wise.

• TownyTowny 6 Posts
    I've searched the whole of Yorkshire and it's shit.

I do alright around Yorkshire You need to try harder and dig deeper Or get there before me