Mexican heatery RR

don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
edited March 2018 in Strut Central
---gonna be doin some travelin through mexico in a couple weeks....besides the rabbits & carrots and the one below, what else should i keep an eye out for?? i typically cop anything with 60's/70's afro-funk hippie psychedelia cover artwork but....suggestions for the

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Unless you are spending a few days in Mexico City do no even bother looking for records, there are none unless you make housecalls, and you will be missing the sand for the beach, or whatever. Mexico is one of the coolest places you will ever visit. If you want Mex raer, look for that in El Paso or some other shithole.

That said, if you find a certain Freddy Fender 45, plaese to give me a PM.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what is afro-funk hippie psychadelia artwork?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    there is mad Afro Funk in Mexico. Dudes from Africa dropped it off there and dipped.

You're not gonna find a Rabbits and Carrots on the streets for cheap.. but theres lots of budget/cheapo stuff I'm sure you'll run into out there thats good and obtainable..

• If you want Mex raer, look for that in El Paso or some other shithole.

That said, if you find a certain Freddy Fender 45, plaese to give me a PM.

--i grew up in el paso,but for some reason this comment doesnt offend me
    --freddy fender heat??? really?? im thouroughly intrigued

what is afro-funk hippie psychadelia artwork?

not afro-funk per se, but mexicans with afros----theyre few and far between but
    ive seen a few of em....

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    WHERE ARE THE AFROS?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Unless you are spending a few days in Mexico City do no even bother looking for records, there are none unless you make housecalls

I think High-C needs to chime on the wrongness of this statement...Mexico gots records...

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Unless you are spending a few days in Mexico City do no even bother looking for records, there are none unless you make housecalls

I think High-C needs to chime on the wrongness of this statement...Mexico gots records...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Well, yes and no. But compared to the other shit you could be doing, it's a waste of life. Please don't BAN me. I can find similar shit in NYC.

For the record, my girlfriend came back with a rollcase full of vinyl for me last time she was there But really only half a dozen raers mixed in with a lot of crap. The funkiest stuff was on Reader's Digest comps!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

Well, yes and no. But compared to the other shit you could be doing, it's a waste of life. Please don't BAN me. I can find similar shit in NYC.

For the record, my girlfriend came back with a rollcase full of vinyl for me last time she was there But really only half a dozen raers mixed in with a lot of crap. The funkiest stuff was on Reader's Digest comps!

bula bula.

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts

---gonna be doin some travelin through mexico in a couple weeks....besides the rabbits & carrots and the one below, what else should i keep an eye out for?? i typically cop anything with 60's/70's afro-funk hippie psychedelia cover artwork but....suggestions for the

I was just in Mexico City 6 months ago, so here are some spots i would hit:

There is a record store, though i can't remember the name, across from el Palacio de las Bellas Artes, on the first floor of some mall bldg. I found some good mexican funk ballads and cuban funk like juan pablo torres.

Then walk west about 2-3 blocks until you hit Juarez Avenue and there will be 2 dudes selling records on the same corner. They always setup from noon until 5pm everyday i think. These guys have the goods. They usually rotate stuff every week from there warehouse. You should definitely set a date with them to visit their warehouse. There might also be a couple more dealers setup down a block or two on Juarez on the weekends.

On Saturdays, starting at 11am, you should visit the infamous "Chopo". i forget the cross streets, but just ask any cab driver to take you to the music flea market known as "el Chopo". There are a lot record dealers selling vinyl, though only 3-4 dealers have decent stuff.

On Sundays, starting at 9am, ask a cab driver to take you to the flea market "La Villa". There will be several record dealers with pleny of nice stuff.

There are a ton of other places, yes, even house visits, but this is a good place to get started and find the stuff you are looking for. If you find any good stuff at any of these places, let me know. If you are traveling outside of Mexico City, i might know other spots to dig for vinyl, just pm.

• ---gonna be doin some travelin through mexico in a couple weeks....besides the rabbits & carrots and the one below, what else should i keep an eye out for?? i typically cop anything with 60's/70's afro-funk hippie psychedelia cover artwork but....suggestions for the

I was just in Mexico City 6 months ago, so here are some spots i would hit:

There is a record store, though i can't remember the name, across from el Palacio de las Bellas Artes, on the first floor of some mall bldg. I found some good mexican funk ballads and cuban funk like juan pablo torres.

Then walk west about 2-3 blocks until you hit Juarez Avenue and there will be 2 dudes selling records on the same corner. They always setup from noon until 5pm everyday i think. These guys have the goods. They usually rotate stuff every week from there warehouse. You should definitely set a date with them to visit their warehouse. There might also be a couple more dealers setup down a block or two on Juarez on the weekends.

On Saturdays, starting at 11am, you should visit the infamous "Chopo". i forget the cross streets, but just ask any cab driver to take you to the music flea market known as "el Chopo". There are a lot record dealers selling vinyl, though only 3-4 dealers have decent stuff.

On Sundays, starting at 9am, ask a cab driver to take you to the flea market "La Villa". There will be several record dealers with pleny of nice stuff.

There are a ton of other places, yes, even house visits, but this is a good place to get started and find the stuff you are looking for. If you find any good stuff at any of these places, let me know. If you are traveling outside of Mexico City, i might know other spots to dig for vinyl, just pm.

i might just have to take a detour thru the heart of Babylon....thnx

pm on the way....paz

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Wow props maswax, is it or something?

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts
    Wow props maswax, is it or something?

yes, it's