RESCUE DAWN

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
this is probably the most accessible Werner Herzog movie yet, but there was still a lot of mind fuckery and intimidating & breathtaking shots of the jungle and what not. could be bent by any patriotic or hawkish nut to be a jingoist flick though i don't see it that way because it's based on a real life dude (dieter dengler) and his story made for a good flick. highly recommended, very suspenseful and intense, but not humorless and probably the closest thing to a popcorn flick werner herzog is going to make.um, here is a picture of werner with an AK47i don't know why i find it so hilarious

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    that photo is hilarious and i am quite interested to see the film...

ironically, heart of glass recently hit the top of my netflix queue and i rewatched it this evening. i appreciated it a great deal more the second time around.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This movie was great! A lot more humor than I thought there would be, but it certainly didn't detract from the intensity. The entire range of emotions in this movie, and it really does affect. At least it did for me.

Acting is great too. But for anyone who has already seen it, (Possible Spoiler) What about the last frame? What the hell was that about. Very Top Gunesque.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    But for anyone who has already seen it, (Possible Spoiler) What about the last frame? What the hell was that about. Very Top Gunesque.

yeah, but this movie was based on Dieter Dengler who Herzog did a documentary on in 97 called Little Dieter Needs to Fly and that's how he described it

i thought christian bale was pretty good despite picking up on some accent issues near the beginning

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I've been looking forward to this for a minute. I'm a big Herzog fan (uhh, like the name wouldn't give that away), hopefully this'll get him some mainstream recognition.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Acting is great too. But for anyone who has already seen it, (Possible Spoiler) What about the last frame? What the hell was that about. Very Top Gunesque.

according to the review in the new yorker this film was made in part by TOP GUN PRODUCTIONS.

But for anyone who has already seen it, (Possible Spoiler) What about the last frame? What the hell was that about. Very Top Gunesque.

yeah, but this movie was based on Dieter Dengler who Herzog did a documentary on in 97 called Little Dieter Needs to Fly and that's how he described it

i thought christian bale was pretty good despite picking up on some accent issues near the beginning

Yeah, I'm not talking about the last scene, which I thought was very moving, just the last (Again Spoiler) freeze frame. Just thought it was an odd choice and kind of hackneyed. It really didn't detract from the movie for me tho.

according to the review in the new yorker this film was made in part by TOP GUN PRODUCTIONS.

Ahhh! It all makes sense now.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    The New Yorker article about the production of this film is very worth reading.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/04/24/060424fa_fact_zalewski

Basically, Herzog's trying to make the movie the way he usually works. Meanwhile, the producer, who just wanted a Vietnam-POW action flick with a major star made for cheap and doesn't give a fuck who the director is, sits Herzog down to watch The Rundown starring The Rock to show Herzog how the movie should me made -- at the same time that crew members gripe about how Werner Herzog's unprofessional and doesn't know how to direct a film.

Despite all that, the film turned out very well, and it definitely has Herzog's signature all over it. That said, the very end left me feeling a little non-plussed.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Since everyone's talking about that ending...

****************SPOILERS*********************

The intro to the film makes it clear that Herzog vehemently disapproves of U.S. involvement in Vietnam, but once he gets that out of the way, I think he wanted to make a film that honors the traits he sees as heroic in the rugged American individual. On top of that, Herzog and the real-life Dieter became close friends, so I think that Herzog wanted the film's last moments to faithfully reproduce Dieter's fantasy-vision of how his post-rescue reception went down.

Doing that, flag-waving and all, can make uncomfortable viewing for PC-minded leftist like myself and many of us here, for whom a grim, Vietnam-as-metaphor-for-Iraq ending would probably go down easier. But I think Herzog also wanted to play the provocateur and not give us that sort of ending.

i just read that Elton Brand produced this

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=268043

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I was just going back and forth via email w/ a friend about this. Since we're both huge basketball dorks, we were anticipating this as soon as we heard that Elton Brand was working with W.H.. It opens outside of LA/SF/NYC on Friday- I'm geeked.

and the picture is hilarious because he is wearing sandals while carrying an assault rifle.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    btw, can anyone recommend any other werner herzog movies? i thought grizzly man was amazing, but haven't seen anything else.

Fittzaraldo & Aguirre are a must, but i like his documentaries more: Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Also My Best Fiend is great and really engrossing. it's about working with Klaus Kinski. There's a lot of great stories in that and Herzog's narration is awesome. If you watch it, switched it to the English dub cause it's still his voice. God's Angry Man is about Dr. Gene Scott the late nite televangelist and it's short and sweet. White Diamond is decent too and worth it just for the nature scenes.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    btw, can anyone recommend any other werner herzog movies? i thought grizzly man was amazing, but haven't seen anything else.

Two grippingly poignant, subtle, and totally opposingly styled films that I highly recommend by the man Werner are: Cobra Verde and Where the Green Ants Dream.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    It's great to watch Fitzcarraldo and then Burden of Dreams, which is a documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo by Les Blank who was on the set.