I want people up in here to talk about art

2»

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    The same gallery where I saw the Rebecca Morris has had a couple show by this sculptor, Rune Olsen. Really dig his work- made of wire, pencil, and masking tape.

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    email me and i'll reply with the dunn.

i also just did an egyptian lover 'stration just like that one. the egyptian lover drawing is going on a tshirt for a club in SF (mezzanine). should be hot, i can't wait to get one.

where have i been? besides bumping into AP at the house of campari in beverly hills? EASTSIDING IT LIKE A MF. i do make the weekly appearance at Funkmosphere in Culver City though.

you really need to go to one of those nights!!! so up your alley. mad modern soul joints get dropped, espcially 9pm-11 for the truly modern shit. after that it goes more disco & 84 boogie style, depending on the guest. tonight is my hommie from SEattle, he's got very similar taste to yours. should be heat. spot is carbon, on venice just west of Robertson (across from in & out burger)

if you can make it out tonight, call me, or email me @ [email]liptonwhitaker@yahoo.com[/email]

• Hey AP where you been?

You know im a MG fan.

my pickz:

Jim Lambie

Hunter Stabler

Tomma Abts

Bridget Riley

I like Art that hurts your eyes when you look at it.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    For me....I've got to go with the two...

Eduardo Paolozzi -
    by far and away my favorite artist - this dude IS the father of pop art - doing the shit Warhol was doing 20 years earlier.

That's from 1947. Dude's fucking ridiculous. And that's not even close to being one of his iller pieces.

Then of course it's Tim Hawkinson - who's just flat out retarted ill.

Not even going to post pics - just peep because I can't even begin to explain his shit.

http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?pageNum_ACE=0&totalRows_ACE=84&Artist=1

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Not even going to post pics - just peep because I can't even begin to explain his shit.

http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?pageNum_ACE=0&totalRows_ACE=84&Artist=1

I can't believe I missed it when his stuff was being shown. Missed out.... His stuff always impressed the hell out of me.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

I can't believe I missed it when his stuff was being shown. Missed out.... His stuff always impressed the hell out of me.

Judging from pic - I think you're talking about here in LA at the Getty.....if so - you didn't miss shit. It was a TINY room with four pieces. The works were, as usual, unbelievable - but for as much promo as they were giving - I was really bummed out when I went.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Judging from pic - I think you're talking about here in LA at the Getty.....if so - you didn't miss shit. It was a TINY room with four pieces. The works were, as usual, unbelievable - but for as much promo as they were giving - I was really bummed out when I went.

You guessed correctly. The Getty is funny about showing modern art. I think they only show a tiny amount to appease J Paul Getty's final wishes...Whom hated modern art

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Eduardo Paolozzi -
    by far and away my favorite artist - this dude IS the father of pop art - doing the shit Warhol was doing 20 years earlier.

That's from 1947. Dude's fucking ridiculous. And that's not even close to being one of his iller pieces.

WOW.

not at that piece per se (although very ahead of its time, something i can ALWAYS appreciate. very much.) but holy fuckin shit, as the 60s progressed this dude turned straight genius. im very inspired right now. i might need to work on some shit tomorrow. thanks for putting me up on this dude, i love visual art, but past a handful of graphic designers im relatively clueless on the good shit.

You guessed correctly. The Getty is funny about showing modern art. I think they only show a tiny amount to appease J Paul Getty's final wishes...Whom hated modern art

Yeah, I caught the Tim Hawkinson show at the LACMA a couple summers back, and that shit was just crazy. I ended up going to see that show twice. In a previous one of these threads, I posted about him and Tom Friedman, another favorite:

Hot Balls- Balls of various sizes stolen over a 2 year period

Though, his recent stuff isn't killin' me like this shit...

• WOW.

not at that piece per se (although very ahead of its time, something i can ALWAYS appreciate. very much.) but holy fuckin shit, as the 60s progressed this dude turned straight genius. im very inspired right now. i might need to work on some shit tomorrow. thanks for putting me up on this dude, i love visual art, but past a handful of graphic designers im relatively clueless on the good shit.

His later stuff that looks more or less like neon transformers sticker sheets are amazing, youd definitely dig it.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I never understood why Ed Kienholz doesn't get more shine. He was a freakshow all the way to the end-

When Ed Keinholz died, he was buried in his 1940 Packard, a deck of cards and a dollar in his pocket, a bottle of 1930 Italian red wine beside him, the cremated remains of his dog (who died a few days before him) on the back seat.

1979-80

one of his more famous works "The State Hospital" 1966
    exterior

interior

I'm into hitting a museum for anything. I really dig SFMOMA & the Legion of Honor, although I haven't been in quite some time. The last time I went to the Guggenheim was when they had the exhibit for Mathew Barney's Cremaster Cycle series- those set pieces were insane, and the flow of vaseline trickling down the entire museum circular walkway was

I wish San Diego had some better museums.

• ok, I just wrote out a long post, but it erased somehow. Anyway, the short version is I loved the van gogh exhibit at neue. Give me van gogh, schiele, Klimt, kirschner, etc any day. Also thought the serra at moma was incredible. His work elicits such a physical response.

Haven't been to the galeries in a bit, but when I was there last, really likes the Glenn brown, tim hawkinson, and Robert mangold.

Just recently bought a small jeff brouws that he sold in an open series to raise money for a displaced NO family.

Would like to buy a rineke dijkstra, wangechi mutu, or arturo herrera, but they are all out of range now. Damn prices.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Also thought the serra at moma was incredible. His work elicits such a physical response.

My old boss did jury doodie with Serra. True story. I think my boss bugged the shit out of him once he found out who he was.
    Saw his stuff at DIA. More authentic up there than at the stuffy Moma

There's a 50s-60s Kinetic art retrospective this month at some gallery in NYC that could be cool www.andrearosengallery.com

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    deleted: redundant.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    looks more or less like neon transformers sticker sheets

if i recieved this as a blind description of an artists work, theyd become my favorite before ever seeing their shit no matter what

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Carsten Nicolai is a bad-ass sound artist. For this series of works he pumped pure tones through milk and photographed the vibrations. Essentially you get to see sound:

80 hertz

And Jorge Macchi. He does a lot fo work that involves editing text:
    Br>http://www.cceba.org.ar/fotos/1086881847a.jpg>

Of course John Cage, Ray Johnson, and Marcel Duchamp rank ridiculously high in my opinion. I rarely come across anythihng that can hold a torch to these dudes.

Carsten Nicolai is a bad-ass sound artist. For this series of works he pumped pure tones through milk and photographed the vibrations. Essentially you get to see sound:

80 hertz

And Jorge Macchi. He does a lot fo work that involves editing text:
    Br>http://www.cceba.org.ar/fotos/1086881847a.jpg>

Of course John Cage, Ray Johnson, and Marcel Duchamp rank ridiculously high in my opinion. I rarely come across anythihng that can hold a torch to these dudes.

That Jorge Macchi is similar to what Pat Shannon did that I referenced earlier...she did it with whole newspaper pages. Looked great in presentation.

Unfortunately, that gallery has a suck website, so I can't share...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    IF you're already familiar then disregard, but if you're into text-based work then you should check out oulipo, and lettrism.

Everyone should be up on UBU.com

• I posted about him and Tom Friedman, another favorite:

Have you seen the Tom Friedman piece where he cut up a lucky charms cereal box and reassembled it into 4 smaller cereal boxes? He cut it into a grid, cut the grid into 4ths and then reassembled it into 4 "pixelated" little boxes.

I posted about him and Tom Friedman, another favorite:

Have you seen the Tom Friedman piece where he cut up a lucky charms cereal box and reassembled it into 4 smaller cereal boxes? He cut it into a grid, cut the grid into 4ths and then reassembled it into 4 "pixelated" little boxes.

Yeah, I was pretty obsessed with him for a while...He seems to be running over some similar ground of late, though his piece last year with the 'balloons,' was great (didnot see in person, should note). I saw his recent Foil installation in NYC at some rich dudes office (big time collectro, forget his name) and while I'll always respect his ability, it just didn't do it for me.

here is another old favorite, his "Self Portrait":

Paper mache balloons:

• LOUISE NEVELSON

• JERRY UELSMANN

• EDMUND TESKE

LOUISE NEVELSON

THIS LADY IS HOT FUCKING SHIT.

Jewish Museum Retro in NYC until Sept., I believe.

DO NOT SNOOZE, FOOS.

• FRANZ WEST

• LIZ CRAFT

• JAY DEFEO

• DIETER ROTH

• CHRISTOPHER WILLIAMS

Saw a GREAT show today by John Armleder, a swiss painter/installation artist.

Anyone in the Boston area, peep game at the Rose Museum at Brandeis (hands down the best museum around- in the past two years, they've had a GREAT photo realism show, as well as some great work by Clare Rojas, Fred Tomaselli, and Dana Schutz's first museum show. Don't sleep.)

The first couple rooms were good, the last room was spectacular- 20 foot scaffoldings you could climb on and see full scale wall drawings, with 10 foot canvases from above. A truly unique, and pleasantly overwhelming, show.

Can't recommend this high enough.

Linkzes:

http://www.brandeis.edu/rose/

THROUGH JULY 29...DON'T LET THIS PASS YOU BY!

image that does this no justice: