I want people up in here to talk about art

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
AP, EHead, whoever...I've spent more time this year looking at, reading about, spent more, and made more art than i have records. now, i'm just bullshit sunday conceptualist, putting together collages of found parking tickets, papers and post it notes, and i ain't about to share that with the strut massive......but, i want to hear what people are seeing out there. good gallery shows? firends with some good stuff? museum shows?saw the richard serra's at the MoMA. shit on the second floor was a total facemelt- sexy 100 ton steel on the planet.caught a selection of water colors at Chicago art institute that were great- German female artist, jana gunstheimer, doing fictional newspaper headlines about the 'disaster' of high cost housing becoming cheap overnight.that was a great little show.also saw the jeff wall show there, which i thought was a total snooze. there was a great local boston show of a woman who obsessively cut the text out of newspapers...they looked great on a wall- fragile and almost skeletal. that was a great show.so. what's hood in the art world? link to german water color lady:http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/exhibition/JanaGunstheimer

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wanna check out......

at the Whitney Museum.

We have the book here at the Center and they talk alot about Rekkids.

• also saw the jeff wall show there, which i thought was a total snooze.
    really?

I thought the "So the story goes..." show at AIC was pretty good. Was never too into contemporary photography, but Theyve been having alot of great shows lately.

The Karl Wirsum show at the Chicago Cultural Center was pretty Amazing. Imagists have been blowing up lately.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    re: Jeff wall-

i thought some of the earlier pieces were great- people on the overpass, the papers blowing in the wind, some of the more action oriented photos...

by the end of the show? too posed/set up feeling, and just kind of boring. they felt like blown up magazine photos. i got bored.

Batmon, what do you do? ever since you posed in front of the later de kooning, i've been curious.

Speaking of Big Willem- his biography was a great book. fascinating man and artist.

• re: Jeff wall-

the papers blowing in the wind,

you cant front on that shit.

by the end of the show? too posed/set up feeling, and just kind of boring. they felt like blown up magazine photos. i got bored.

I think all his work is very "set up" but it is in a way that works for the subject matter, most of it is after other works...

I think it works as a visually appealing show all around, I see how it may get boring by the end but seeing some of these images in person, as oppose to a book or on the internet does not do his work justice.

i love looking at this piece in person.^

Batmon, what do you do? ever since you posed in front of the later de kooning, i've been curious.

I'm the Preparator at the Fisher Landau Center for Art in Long Island City.
    The Collection is predominately Contemporary American.

I thought the earlier work WAS superior to the more recent stuff, and his self portrait- double exposed was great, and could easily have been in the David Hockney portrait exhibit that was here in Boston last year.

i appreciated the referential nature and wit of the work (The Dead Talk on the Battlefield & the old birthday party) and his efforts to bring painterly detail to photography is welccome and fascinating. But, his work gets very sterile and dull as it gets more recent. It feels overly manipulated.

You bring up a great point about seeing art in person as opposed to books/images online. It is always a wholly different, and more moving, experience.

Post Script- HELL YES, this is the kind of talk i want!

that is dope- that's a real place. next time i'm in la ciudad, i'll stop by. cool job.

that is dope- that's a real place. next time i'm in la ciudad, i'll stop by. cool job.

No doubt. Were free, but u use "dope" ill have to charge you a fee.

• But, his work gets very sterile and dull as it gets more recent. It feels overly manipulated.

Which probably has something to do with the leaps in digital technology he was using over the course of his career. I cant imagine it was very easy to blow up images that large in the late 70s/ early 80s, which if it is digital would the equipment be able to handle a file large enough to get a good print.

Im not one for digital art, the computer makes some work hollow to me, but the computer/television (hell, historically even the camera itself) is wholly resposible for desinsitizing us when viewing works that were previously regarded as pretty amazing. Im sure his process was streamlined over the years (possibly taking away from the impact of work itself in the process) I can see why you feel this way.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm not too hip to the whats good, but here's some online stuff i enjoy.

http://www.jamesjean.com/

Os Gemeos and Nina

http://www.thegraffitiproject.net

http://www.tskuebler.com/

- spidey

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I'm really floored by this south african graffiti artist named Faith47:

http://www.faith47.com/

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    my top 3 exhibits of all time

- christian marclay's video quartet at the SFMOMA

there is video of it on youtube but it doesn't do it any justice. there were four screens projected side by side. he sampled scenes of people playing music or singing from Hollywood movies past and present and it sounded incredible together. what's great is that one projected clip could be some corny scene like michael j fox when he gets on the prom stage in back to the future. but when played with the other 3 movie samples in the "video quarter" it was taken out of context and added a layer of sound that fit perfectly with the other 3. it was bliss

- the bill viola retrospective at the SFMOMA.

i went 3 times when it was in town. there are still days i wake up wishing that exhibit never left. walking through that felt like being on a different planet. that exhibition was nearly a decade ago, but many of those installations i can remember clearly.

- lee bontecou retrospective at the chicago museum of contemporary art

these pieces were huge and kind of terrifying. they looked like you could get sucked into them and never hit a surface

as for current stuff, right now i like Anthony Lister
    http://www.listerart.com.au

Eduardo Recife

Josh Keyes
    http://www.joshkeyes.net/index.htm

I saw that Bill Viola show...19, and I'd never seen Video Art. That shit blew my head open...Great choice.

There were a few moments in my life that got me interested in art. The one that was my favorite was two years later, and really pushed me into it, was a senior in college. I'm drunk as usual on the couch, and I motion to the Rothko poster that one of my roomates has hung on the wall. "Who is that again?" I said.

The other roomate, an art history major, just picks up the art textbook he is sitting next to, and wings it at my head, barely missing me.

"IT'S MARK FUCKING ROTHKO. YOU SHOULD FUCKING KNOW THIS. EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THIS. ART ISN'T JUST FOR RICH FUCKERS WHO CAN BUY IT."

And, that was the final push I needed...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm really floored by this south african graffiti artist named Faith47:

Wow, this is really Fresh. Thanks for posting!!

- spidey

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just got turned on to Moriyama Daido. Really fresh shit. I don't stay on top of the current art scene like I really should, considering that a ton of my friends are pretty involved and somewhat successful artists, and my sister is kind of blowing up too.

I am spinning at the Guggenheim first Friday in August, so that's something I guess...

Spinning at art parties totally counts, cos...especially when its at the mofucking Guggenheim.

• ANSELM REYLE

• MAGDALENA ABAKANOWICZ

• THOMAS HOUSEAGO

• MARK GROTJAHN

• REBECCA MORRIS

• JOHN DIVOLA

• NATHAN HYLDEN

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Paul Cadmus

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    art is buggin me out right now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    art is buggin me out right now.

I want a copy of that Dunn And Bruce piece you got.

b/w

where you been at mang?

MARK GROTJAHN

you dropped him a while back, and to say i'm a fan is a major understatement; your recommendation also made me seriously reconsider Christopher Wool.

I saw a Rebecca Morris show a few months back...It was good. the paintings overwhelmed the gallery, in the best way.

But, Mark G. is on some serious shit- the black on black is great.

• But, Mark G. is on some serious shit.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    But, Mark G. is on some serious shit.

I'm feeling this Mark G guy too.

Here's someone I've been digging on:

Glenn Brown

I like his modern take on a classic style.