picture of the week

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    damn straight.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    that hurts just looking at it

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    what drives people to do this bullshit?

the "danger" and "excitement"?

there's plenty of dangerous and exciting shit that doesn't require scaring the shit out of animals.

I feel like this is the ultimate frat boy faux exotic adventure sport.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    what drives people to do this bullshit?

the "danger" and "excitement"?

there's plenty of dangerous and exciting shit that doesn't require scaring the shit out of animals.

I feel like this is the ultimate frat boy faux exotic adventure sport.

Which is why it's so satisfying seeing people get mauled. You know what they say--you fuck with the bull, you get the horns.

Score one for the animal kingdom!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    "Lucinda Poole, a journalist and 24-year Pamplona resident, said town lore attributes the practice of running with the bulls to 13th-century butchers who hurried slightly ahead of the bulls to be well placed to buy the bulls for slaughter.

Running with the bulls began to grow in popularity, despite efforts to stop it. By the late 1800s, it had become a well-established tradition."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0707_040707_runningbulls.html

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

that bull got a 2-fer. nice work mr bull.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    CAPTIONS PLAESE for this close runner up!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Let's just say the Bull was getting under his skin.

CAPTIONS PLAESE for this close runner up!

is this real?

looks like a photshop job.

and what's with the little man's suit? poorly tailored.

really though the big Mongolian looks thrilled but the little man couldn't care less.

Biggest dude in the world: "I get to mee the littlest dude in the world!"

Littlest dude in the world: " "

Random, slightly funny because of the odd context, photo:

what am I missing here?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I've attended the Pamplona bull run once, only 20% of the contestants are sober.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I've attended the Pamplona bull run once, only 20% of the contestants are sober.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Like most traditions, I am guessing, it is best enjoyed from a distance and with a fair amount of drinking.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i just saw this pic and it reminded me of AP.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    On those Bull photos.......where's the blood???

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I am sure that was taken with a automatic shutter to catch the puncture, the horn was pluggin it up like a cork and most puncture wounds dont bleed very much

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

I am sure that was taken with a automatic shutter to catch the puncture, the horn was pluggin it up like a cork and most puncture wounds dont bleed very much

i believe anyone who was featured in the great Quentin Coryatt hit of '92ish. Hook Up, you make me want to start some "were soulstrutters present at every greatish moment in history?" type thread.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Apparently the two guys being worn on the bull's horns
    are brothers, from the US - also, the guy in the 1st pic
    was not as badly hurt as one would think:

Lawrence and Michael Lenahan, natives of Westlake, Ohio, were gored simultaneously by the bull , which also injured 11 other people Thursday. It was the worst day for injuries in the nine-day festival.

"I started yelling at my brother to show him I was bleeding everywhere but he showed me he was bleeding everywhere," said Lawrence Lenahan, a 26-year-old Air Force captain from Hermosa Beach, Calif., in a telephone interview from his hospital bed.

He was gored in the buttocks, while Michael Lenahan, 23, of Philadelphia, was injured in his leg and was recovering well from surgery at the same hospital.

Michael Lenahan had recently overcome testicular cancer that had spread to his abdomen and the brothers were celebrating.

"He decided he wanted to live life to the fullest. He said once a year I'll do something exciting. And he did," said their father, Larry Lenahan of Westlake, Ohio.

"I decided to take life by the horns," said Michael Lenahan, who had been diagnosed in March 2006.

The brothers had watched one bull run before taking part. Thursday's run - the sixth day of the festival - was their first.

The pack of six 1,300-pound bulls and six steers _ intended to keep the bulls running in a single pack _ disintegrated shortly after the animals set off on the course through the narrow, cobblestoned streets of Pamplona.

The run lasted 6 minutes, 9 seconds, compared with the usual length of 2 minutes because one bull separated - the most dangerous thing that can happen.

"I remember looking back and thinking I was in trouble," Lawrence Lenahan said.

As he sat in his hospital bed, Lawrence Lenahan posed holding the front page of a Spanish newspaper that showed both him and his brother on the horns of the same bull .

He said he remembered using his shirt to help wrap his brother's leg as medical service staff arrived to help them.

"I think my brother and I underestimated the speed and danger of it," Lawrence Lenahan said.

Another participant, Christopher Neiff, 24, of Norway, had the bull 's horn tear into his shin and slide under the skin right up to his knee. Festival organizers said Neiff had a nearly 5-inch wound, but that the bone was not affected.

"We will definitely be back again," Lawrence Lenahan said. "My brother will never run (in the festival) again, but he would like to come back to celebrate."

The San Fermin festival in Pamplona, renowned for its all-night street parties, dates back to 1591. It gained worldwide fame in Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises."

Since records began being kept in 1924, 13 people have been killed in the runs. The last fatality, a 22-year-old American, occurred in 1995.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    it would seem that we're all liberals frequenting drudgereport? or maybe just the poster of this thread and the tall and short dudes?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    made slate too.