Dennis Coffey - Toronto - Saturday night

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Who is going?Who has gone recently? Is he good?Thanks!

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    "live at the Circle Bar in New Orleans during Jazz Fest 2007" a few months ago:

Recently read his autobiography, seems like a very genuine dude. I would certainly go if he was playing nearby me.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    I'll be there. He's on at 8 how early you think is enough to get a good seat? I have no clue what kind of turn out he'd bring.

• 313313 21 Posts
    he plays in detroit every few months. i defintly try to catch him every time.

• DukesDukes 24 Posts
    bassie, you got any more info on this event???? this looks very promising!! HOLLERATE!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thanks for the info! I can't see that clip at work, but it sounds promising still...you know there's always the worry it will be wanky and jammy. I want my favourite artists to be faithful to the sound and artists want to progress and not get in a rut...it can be conflicting.

I'll be there. He's on at 8 how early you think is enough to get a good seat? I have no clue what kind of turn out he'd bring.

Me neither, I think 7.30 should be OK? If you're going with a truckload of people you want to sit with - you might want to get there earlier...not sure.

It's free! And he's on at 8 PM and they don't joke at Harbourfront, the shows start on time.

more info

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Cool thanks for the info, also good to know they actually start the shows on time. You still going to the record show sunday, I think I may have to take the transit, missassauga transit's service is terrible and its a sunday so I dunno if its worth it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it'll be rainy and cool tomorrow, pack an umbrella and sweater.

I dunno about Sunday...I want to, but it'll depend on how I feel that morning. I have to work the door at Thymeless on Saturday til late and I did not even take into consideration the Sunday transit thing - uhg. I should also save $$ for upcoming trip to States. Doesn't look promising...

a brand new Uniqlo sweater perhaps? For inquiring minds...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

ok I will, hah.

seriously, have a friend pick some uniqlo denim up for you. Such a great deal for the quality you get.

ok I will, hah.

seriously, have a friend pick some uniqlo denim up for you. Such a great deal for the quality you get.

lmao - you do not know what you're saying! have someone else find a pair of jeans that will fit me? right after pigs fly! looks like I'll have to wait for my next trip to NYC to get into a pair.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "live at the Circle Bar in New Orleans during Jazz Fest 2007" a few months ago:

Recently read his autobiography, seems like a very genuine dude. I would certainly go if he was playing nearby me.

damn, now i really wanna go see him!! better than i could have expected.

My doubts were realized - it was very disappointing. Loose and jammy interpretations of songs with a strange sound mix here and there and an unimaginative, do-do-dah drummer with a flat sounding kit. The bassist was pretty good though. Best part was after the show - having delicious peanut stew, bean mash, plaintains and beignet round the table with catalist, Aser and friends.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    seriously? i really liked it. but then again, funk aint my thang so much so im not the best judge. but the dude on the synth was amazing, atleast to me and my buddy. now what did suck was sa-ra, i left with my homegirl after 5 min. dudes were SOOOO unorganized, fumbling over eachother and playing the synth offtime. it was so laem.

who gives a fuck what you think .......you are a contrived FRAUD

seriously? i really liked it. but then again, funk aint my thang so much so im not the best judge. but the dude on the synth was amazing, atleast to me and my buddy. now what did suck was sa-ra, i left with my homegirl after 5 min. dudes were SOOOO unorganized, fumbling over eachother and playing the synth offtime. it was so laem.

When did you become a moderater? I give a fuck what anyone who saw the show thinks and generally speaking, no more or less than I give a fuck what you think. You're pissed at Crink for shutting you down on Waxidermy and then you try do the exact same thing here.

A perfectly chill thread about music and good times and nice sweaters crapped on for no good reason.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

When did you become a moderater? I give a fuck what anyone who saw the show thinks and generally speaking, no more or less than I give a fuck what you think. You're pissed at Crink for shutting you down on Waxidermy and then you try do the exact same thing here.
    A perfectly chill thread about music and good times and nice sweaters crapped on for no good reason.

the reply was addressed to superpoaster 3 not you
    as for hkunt "shutting me down at waxidermy" has no relavence here ,as much you would like it to think it does.
    your poast is pretty ironic considering last week you wanted and suceeded in having dude banned for threatenng to "punch you in the ovaries"
    confused?
    I think you are
    also you are defending a show that sounds like it was rather lame by your own description
    and I am entitled to throw my 2 cents in so please sis chill out with that aggro bullshitte

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    seriously, and this is coming from the superpoaster. you gots to chill. not only to me but to everyone on the board. the superpoaster was annoying but didnt mean to offend,me on the other hand is a jerk.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm glad you enjoyed my sweater, we never did get to talk about that.

I enjoyed Coffey's shredding it "face", his fingers are quite speedy. I also enjoyed Taz's over the top outfit (red gucci loafers + fluorescent green socks + cheetah tights + dookey rope + 4 finger ring + top hat).

the reply was addressed to superpoaster 3 not you
    as for hkunt "shutting me down at waxidermy" has no relavence here ,as much you would like it to think it does.
    your poast is pretty ironic considering last week you wanted and suceeded in having dude banned for threatenng to "punch you in the ovaries"
    confused?
    I think you are
    also you are defending a show that sounds like it was rather lame by your own description
    and I am entitled to throw my 2 cents in

where to start?

I am not defending the show - I said I cared what other people who saw it thought.

I am not confused. Go back and look at that thread and show me where I asked for him to be banned. I actually didn't think he should have been.

You are welcome to your 2cents and I don't need for you to address me for me to address you.

so please sis chill out with that aggro bullshitte

lmao - OK!

I'm glad you enjoyed my sweater, we never did get to talk about that.

I enjoyed Coffey's shredding it "face", his fingers are quite speedy. I also enjoyed Taz's over the top outfit (red gucci loafers + fluorescent green socks + cheetah tights + dookey rope + 4 finger ring + top hat).

I did almost reach out and touch it, but thought that would be too creepy. It lookd very nice by the way.

I didn't stay for Sa-Ra but clearly should have to at least had a quick look at the outfits!

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    i thought was a bit lame too - drummer was average and bass player was pretty loose, some cool coffey moments though. why did every song have to go for what seemed like 20 mins?
    i did like sa-ra though, they were so loose because shafiq (who was to dj) was held up at the border a few hours before so Om'Mas had to play all the songs off cd as well as singing/mc'ing. i'm also a fan of them so probably a little biased. definately worth it for the outfits anyway.
    yo where are the good digging spots around here? found some of the major one's - any good flea markets or anything?