Low End Mixer recommendations?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I have a friend who's a beginning DJ and needs a mixer. He doesn't have the budget to step up to a Rane TTM-56 but can probably drop around $300 or less. Any suggestions? He doesn't need high performance but something well-made would be nice. 06 Pro?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Buy used, there are always so many people getting out of DJing. The earlier series of Rane mixers are solid. The non-pro Mackie d2 goes cheap now, Audio Innovate AEM-100 is dope and sub $400, Ecler Nuo2. IMO Vestax isn't nearly worth it anymore.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Buy used, there are always so many people getting out of DJing. The earlier series of Rane mixers are solid.

I found a used Rane 52 for $200, definitely solid, no issues except that annoying phone cord power supply, and the little phone jack thing breaking off.

Replaced my Vestax, which was falling apart...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I second the Ecler Nuo 2. I got one. It's small enough, smooth and accurate faders. When you turn off certain mixers, crappier ones, it's like slamming a door on a shitty car. It feels cheap. Turning on/off the nuo 2 is sorta feels like shutting the door on the BMW. I don't know if there's anyway I could write a faggier review - but tis the truth son.

Gain and EQ dials are nice as well - and I like the High/Mid/Low end drop out buttons - sorta a nice addition.

• Ok, off topic but I got a "Stanton-Vestax" mixer off ebay a while ago for just over $100. Yeah Stanton and Vestax on the same mixer. I could use some if it's or not.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

behringer djx700, about 250$.. nice faders, hi/mid/lo cut switches, eq knobs that work as well as kill switches, decent effects modules.. kinda like a low budget version of the pioneer800

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

behringer djx700, about 250$.. nice faders, hi/mid/lo cut switches, eq knobs that work as well as kill switches, decent effects modules.. kinda like a low budget version of the pioneer800

This mixer will break within a year...Tons of features, but made extra cheap in China...I cosign on the eckler...Also, check on ebay pioneer made these DJM707 mixers for a while that were pretty solid, they stopped selling 'em because they were at a weird price point, you might be able to find one cheap used

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This reminds me - were the Pioneer DJM-909s solid? I doubt I'd upgrade since I'm really happy with my Rane 56 but those 909s always looked kind of sweet.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Dude, 909 is off the chain!!! very happy with my purchase...There is endless possibilities with the efx and touch screen! The fader is really solid, it comes with an adjusment tool, so you can set it to a desired feel...I think it's great some people claim the TTM is better, but I don't think by too much...The only issue that I'm aware of is the tap tempos can go bad if you are not gentle with 'em...I haven't had any issues, but If your giging 3-4 night a week, this problem could arise...Get an extended warranty and all is good!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    This reminds me - were the Pioneer DJM-909s solid? I doubt I'd upgrade since I'm really happy with my Rane 56 but those 909s always looked kind of sweet.

yes. i take mine to gigs twice a week and it has held up for the 16 or so months that i have owned it. the only effects i use are flanger and echo, but to someone who takes the time to explore the effects (which i have yet to do), i'm sure you could get real creative with it.

imo, the rane has a better fader and better sound. that being said, there are plenty of well known scratch djs who prefer the 909 (jazzy jeff comes to mind) because of the effects. can't go wrong with either.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

yes. i take mine to gigs twice a week and it has held up for the 16 or so months that i have owned it. the only effects i use are flanger and echo, but to someone who takes the time to explore the effects (which i have yet to do), i'm sure you could get real creative with it.

imo, the rane has a better fader and better sound. that being said, there are plenty of well known scratch djs who prefer the 909 (jazzy jeff comes to mind) because of the effects. can't go wrong with either.

Yeah - I first saw the 909 at Shortkut's and he swore by it as well. I'm in no hurry to upgrade but an integrated effects machine would be kind of nice since I rarely take my EFX 500 out with me.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

plaese to not buy that thing.
    It's like throwin effects on a terd, the sound is horrible (tinn-y), even for low budget mixers. Look around on ebay and craigslist. The old Tascams and Eclers can be had for cheap (make sure none of the faders are burned, the replacements are NOT cheap) and sound decent enough. Plus, a lot of them have good features like monitor levels and booth/main headphone monitoring that you will not find on cheap-o Vestax and the like, which are very helpful if the beginner transitions to doing house parties, etc.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

This mixer will break within a year...Tons of features, but made extra cheap in China...I cosign on the eckler...Also, check on ebay pioneer made these DJM707 mixers for a while that were pretty solid, they stopped selling 'em because they were at a weird price point, you might be able to find one cheap used

never had problems with mine. and it's been over two years of heavy use, in house and at clubs.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    If you can find one, I really love my old school Korg KM2kaoss 2-channel mixer:

I know it looks cheesy but RANE's build quality is solid and having a sampling kaoss pad in the center of a battle mixer is pretty nice to play with.

Or a used:

With some used guitar pedals and a homemade tape loop echo-delay.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you can probably pick up one of the older rane mixers for around 300 or just convince him to buy a 56 since he wont have to replace it and it has great resale value

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Or a used:

my Vestax was falling apart...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    If you can find one, I really love my old school Korg KM2kaoss 2-channel mixer:

this mixer was the shit! only thing they discontinued the series, so if you happen to need repairs, it's a tough fix.