Original "The Source" reviews

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Is there a website that has scans of reviews done by "The Source" from the early 90s? The very few issues I had as a kid are long gone.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    alls I know is Lil Kim's last jawn got 5 mics.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    alls I know is Lil Kim's last jawn[/b] got 5 mics.

stop biting black thought. use "joint" or "album" from here on out.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    haha, yeah, that was a big "what the f*** moment".

I can't believe this doesn't exist. I was sure there would be a website out there, with scans of this stuff.

alls I know is Lil Kim's last jawn[/b] got 5 mics.

stop biting black thought. use "joint" or "album" from here on out.

sorry your fav Peedie Crack album never cracked the 3 mic glass ceiling for Philly rappers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Somewhere, in some box, I have a few of the original
    issues, when it was a little 5-page zine ... I wish I
    knew where they were - if I turn them up I'll try to
    scan some stuff for y'all.

Ever seen this?

A real terd of a 12" - produced by Nile Rogers, sampling
    Wild Cherry, and featuring the "rapping" of the original
    owners of The Source ... Boston dollar bin rubbish for years ...

Hilarious. I love that it's on Sire.

That would be real cool to get those scans, SoulOnIce.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ever seen this?

Hahaha, I picked that up for a quarter on some novelty-rap steez. I didn't know they were the original Sauce dudes, though. That makes it even funnier.

• alls I know is Lil Kim's last jawn got 5 mics.

A 1/2 star better than Southernplayalisticadillacfunkymusic? Fucking duh.

Soul on Ice shoulda gotten 5 mics on the strength of Nature of the Threat alone.

:5mic-er:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is there a website that has scans of reviews done by "The Source" from the early 90s? The very few issues I had as a kid are long gone.

http://pressrewind.wordpress.com/

Thanks so much. The following are reviewed (from The Source) in this link:

KRS One - Return Of The Boom Bap
    Red Man - Whut Thee Album
    Common - Resurrection
    Group Home - Livin' Proof
    Raekwon - Cuban Lynx
    Organized Konfusion - Self Titled
    J Rock - Streetwise
    Gang Starr - Step in The Arena

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

http://pressrewind.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/snoop_doggystylesource294.jpg

You see, I was waiting for a Snoop solo album. What I got was a Death Row compilation with some guest appearances from Snoop. Don't get me wrong, I love Daz and Korrupt [sic], Rage, Nate Dogg, Warren G, RBX and Lil' Malik to death, but I don't need them cockblocking my quality time with Snoop on every other track.

You see, I was waiting for a Snoop solo album. What I got was a Death Row compilation with some guest appearances from Snoop. Don't get me wrong, I love Daz and Korrupt [sic], Rage, Nate Dogg, Warren G, RBX and Lil' Malik to death, but I don't need them cockblocking my quality time with Snoop on every other track.

People forget just how bad most of the writing in the Source was--even during the "classic" era.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://pressrewind.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/biggie_source1094.jpg

This summer's illiotic bomb

lets talk some more about ny slang

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Ever seen this?

Hahaha, I picked that up for a quarter on some novelty-rap steez. I didn't know they were the original Sauce dudes, though. That makes it even funnier.

Dude in the Harvard Polo is Jonathan Shector aka Shecky Green. He was a founding member of the Source along with David Mays and is now a professional poker player (he was on espn last week). He also has Game Records and puts out those hip hip honey dvd's... He sold his shares of the mag after Mays and Benzino became buddy buddy in the mid 90's... Not sure who dude was on the left... Also, Brett Ratner was the executive producer of that record.

This guys blog is not organized well, so there's more reviews than just in the "Reviews" tab (so far, snoop dogg, de la soul is dead, illmatic).

Really appreciate the link faux. I knew SS would come through. Despite the shitty writing, it's fun reading these reviews 15 years later.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    in the late 90s the source's website archived many (all?) of their reviews and mic ratings. maybe someone more dedicated to picking through archive.org could post a link?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

People forget just how bad most of the writing in the Source was--even during the "classic" era.

It always reminded me of a wrestling magazine. You always needed a certain amount of suspension of disbelief when reading the source.

It always reminded me of a wrestling magazine. You always needed a certain amount of suspension of disbelief when reading the source.

Ha! That's a pretty good way of describing it.

I actually remember a lot of those articles from when they first came out. What somebody really needs to find or post, though, is that big-ass Kwest the Madd Lad article from Rap Pages.

I actually remember a lot of those articles from when they first came out. What somebody really needs to find or post, though, is that big-ass Kwest the Madd Lad article from Rap Pages.

Haha... that was the cover story, right?

Haha... that was the cover story, right?

Yeah. And the tagline was "Who the $@(% is Kwest the Madd Lad and why is he on the cover of this magazine?" Or something like that. I thought it was dope that they put him on the cover and gave him so much space in the mag (it was 8 or 10 pages long).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Yeah, agreed, but surely the important point was that it was someone other than Rolling Stone, NME or whatever writing about rap music. The tone may have been more suited to a fanzine, but that's often been the case with rap publications, and besides, there wasn't a whole lot else to choose from in the early 90's.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I read through a lot of back issues of The Source and Rap Pages (Vibe too) for a book article I wrote on rap journalism and GOOD LORD, some of the writing is worse than you could possibly imagine. We're talking about shit that makes the average blog commentator sound like Hemingway in comparison.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Ever seen this?

I think I have this. I'll have to pull it out.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

What somebody really needs to find or post, though, is that big-ass Kwest the Madd Lad article from Rap Pages.

I have that issue on my Great Wall Of RapPages, which undoubtedly had the best covers of any Hip Hop magazine EVAR.

Edit:

It's directly under Goodie MoB between GrafPages and the DJ issue with Primo.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I have all of the issues from 1990-1995 (and a few from 1989). Reviews and scene reports, and ads for albums and 12" singles that no one ever talks about.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    i have most (if not all) of the issues from 92-96 of the source.
    the only problem being - i wasnt in touch with my inner collector yet.
    (meaning most issues have ripped out pages, which were put on my wall)
    i wonder what some youngin would be willing to pay for some of these on ebay?

• I have all of the issues from 1990-1995 (and a few from 1989). Reviews and scene reports, and ads for albums and 12" singles that no one ever talks about.

scan them mannnnn.. I have most the 90's too. I'll try to scan some.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I read through a lot of back issues of The Source and Rap Pages (Vibe too) for a book article I wrote on rap journalism and GOOD LORD, some of the writing is worse than you could possibly imagine. We're talking about shit that makes the average blog commentator sound like Hemingway in comparison.

Isn't that often the case with things that are the work of enthusiastic amateurs, though? I'm not trying to mount a defence of shitty writing here by any means, but even though we'd had Hip-Hop Connection for a few years in the UK by the time The Source began to filter over here, magazines which were solely dedicated to rap music were still something of a novelty. I first came across The Source in late '91/early '92, I think - the Geto Boys were on the cover. To be honest, the quality of the writing was less of an issue to me than the fact that here was an American perspective that UK fans hadn't previously had access to, and one that, if nothing else, showed a real committment to the music as opposed to the kind of dilletante-ish shit we were used to seeing in the mainstream UK music press.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I have that issue on my Great Wall Of RapPages, which undoubtedly had the best covers of any Hip Hop magazine EVAR.

So many great B+ images in those. The Pharcyde cover, the Alkaholiks one... the Old Dirty one... Great stuff.

I wish I still had all my old hip-hop magazines. Over time, and through multiple house-moves, they've nearly all gone now: I had loads of copies of The Source, Rap Pages, Rap Sheets, Flavor, Represent (a good UK one)... Same with my skate magazines (TWS, Big Brother from issue 1 until Larry Flynt ruined it... Poweredge...). Strangely, I still have nearly all my graf mags (Can Control, IGT etc.).

I'd love to buy sets of these again, so if anyone's selling at a reasonable price, PM me...