Speaker recommendations?

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
My speakers were old & got wrecked while moving.Need new ones. Cheap. Not huge. Don't need super bass or anything like that. Just decent ones for listening to records. What kind? How much? where can I buy them?I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere, I can make it to major best buy circut city type places but that is about it...Appreciated...

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Polk audio and Infinity make some decent affordable speakers. Circuit City carry both brands. What type of amp or receiver are you using? You want to make sure the speakers are rated to handle enough power. How many watts per channel are you running? Also make sure that you buy some good speaker cable to hook the joints up to your amp/receiver. Don't use that cheap ass thin little zip wire. Get some monster cable or something. You can get these Infinity joints for $399.98 for the pair of Circuit City's website....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    thanks!

I have a big amp. Dunno what kind, I'll check.

I'm used to thrift store speakers, so this is all pretty new to me...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    might be outta your price range but these are doooooope!

klipsh rf 5s

yeah, CHEAP is the operative word.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Mission makes nice cheap speakers that are readliy available. If you play vinyl, stay away from metallic domed tweeters. Some play a bit hot & tend to accentuate surface noise.

Canada has some good speaker companies - psb is easy to find stateside. Check ecoustics.com for reviews.

Peace

h

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    $1,500 is mad cheap in baller land

$1,500 is mad cheap in baller land

haha! I'll get Reynaldo to buy them for me then.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If cheap is the word: KLH 100W bookshelf speakers are dirt cheap and offer unmatched audio fidelity for the price, to borrow a phrase.

You can buy 4 of them for the same price as one Which Hi-Fi type brand.

They are $80 list a pair but a couple of years old so you should get them much cheaper. J&R Clearance was selling them for $30 a pair -- I bought 4 pair.

If you want to go cheaper, you have to go for some 12-15" bassbins and sacrifice some floor space.

radd! This is what I'm talkin' bout! Thanks!

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Best bang for the buck?

Standard NAD amp with B&W 601's... they take a little juice, but sound REALLY good, should be about $400 for a pair in the states.