How long has Popsike been down?

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I've been trying to get to Popsike since about 5pm PSTand nada.Anyone else had this problem?If so how long.

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I've been trying to get to Popsike since about 5pm PST
    and nada.
    Anyone else had this problem?
    If so how long.

i was on it last night and it worked fine for me.

clue #1[/b]
    it broke sometime after 7:00 PST yesterday.

hope this narrows it down for you.

• I say good! Now is the best time to buy records. With popsike currently down dealers and record stores can't use it as a price guide to charge $250 for a $20 record.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Don't mean to thread jack but is popsike some sort of unknown deal to some people who sell records? I mean as much as I take advantage of stores that price records poorly, it seems pretty ridiculous that in 2007 there are records stores pricing $50 records that are up on Popsike in the dollar bin.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Don't mean to thread jack but is popsike some sort of unknown deal to some people who sell records? I mean as much as I take advantage of stores that price records poorly, it seems pretty ridiculous that in 2007 there are records stores pricing $50 records that are up on Popsike in the dollar bin.

I know a couple larger shops in my town, who make gobs of money on their new cd stock
    so they don't really charge a premium for most of stuff.
    They have wall pieces for between $20-$100, but mostly you can find lot's of
    $50 records for $4-$10.
    Their vinyl buyer/pricer told me they just want to move product and make a
    little money.
    It's a nice attitude to have, they are happy, the customers are happy.
    Everyone wins!
    It's nice to see a shop that always has new stuff and isn't trying to squeeze every
    cent they can out of it.

I wish Popsike would come back up.

I cry.

• it seems pretty ridiculous that in 2007 there are records stores pricing $50 records that are up on Popsike in the dollar bin.

Believe it or not, in 2007 there are quite a few stores that still under price records. I have pulled $150 LP's not from a dollar bin but from regular store stock priced under $20 each.

I know a couple larger shops in my town, who make gobs of money on their new cd stock
    so they don't really charge a premium for most of stuff.
    They have wall pieces for between $20-$100, but mostly you can find lot's of
    $50 records for $4-$10.
    Their vinyl buyer/pricer told me they just want to move product and make a
    little money.
    It's a nice attitude to have, they are happy, the customers are happy.
    Everyone wins!
    It's nice to see a shop that always has new stuff and isn't trying to squeeze every
    cent they can out of it.

I wish Popsike would come back up.

I cry.

Gobs of money on their new CD stock? Forreal in 2007?

Yeah, I mean that's really good, they're concious of it and want to make their customers happy and create some "regulars". I love stores like that - where they want to sell you the good stuff for a good deal. I know a local spot that tries to do that - except they don't get good records in the first place so it's a joke.

A lot of stores I go to though are clearly trying to squeeze money out of what they define as collectible, but their definitions are about two decades old. It's all Beatles raer and 50s and early 60s stuff that hasn't moved in a year. I guess it just baffles me that if you're job, day in and day out, was to buy and sell records, you could be that incompetent at doing so.

it seems pretty ridiculous that in 2007 there are records stores pricing $50 records that are up on Popsike in the dollar bin.

Believe it or not, in 2007 there are quite a few stores that still under price records. I have pulled $150 LP's not from a dollar bin but from regular store stock priced under $20 each.

Oh believe me, I know this is true. S.O.U.L. for $4? Umm yes.

Gobs of money on their new CD stock? Forreal in 2007?

Yeah man people still buy CD's believe it or not.
    Seattle is a music buying town for sure.

The stores in question are like mini Amoeba's if that
    gives you a better idea of what they are about.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Every time popsike goes down I wonder if its for good... I couldn't access it for at least half a day last week though so I'm not placing any bets yet.

Oh. And there are record dealers who know about the 'crazy' prices records go for online but can't be arsed to look them all up, list them, ship, etc. They usually don't make their living off wax. I get a lot of my collection from folks like these.

I got you. Seattle is definately a music buying city. Difference being that Amoeba is SOL when it comes to finding good used records.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    HELL YEAH, It's still down!!DAMN I need to a price czech!!!!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    god, please make popsike go away.
    bless mom and sparky too.

I got you. Seattle is definately a music buying city. Difference being that Amoeba is SOL when it comes to finding good used records.

Really, I've always found stuff at Amoeba, SF and LA.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Without popsike, I am nothing.

Without popsike, I am nothing.

So true...

Me too.

Before popsike, I actually PLAYED RECORDS. I know, I know, those were the crazy days...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Before popsike, I actually PLAYED RECORDS. I know, I know, those were the crazy days...

Playing records are overrated.

I know, it cuts into my online beefing time something awful.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm too busy living the exotic life,
    and helping people realize their dreams.

I know, it cuts into my online beefing time something awful.

Seriously.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Oh yeah? Well, before popsike, I[/b] helped other people realize dreams on a daily basis.

This is seriously turning into the greatest catch phrase in years.

It's called multi-tasking...
    You can listen while Popsiking, duh.

It's called multi-tasking...
    You can listen while Popsiking, duh.

That is true. "Life is what goes on while you Popsike" right?

• Someone should start a site called "poopsike.com" or "popsyke.com" and make fake listings where all the common records like Elton John and the Eagles are listed at top dollar and the sprinkle in like Phil Ranelin for $12 and make all the 12s worth $5, Harvey Mason for $16, shit like that. Then we start a disinformation movement at all our local record stores, saying "Oh yeah, poopsike is the bomb, I'd be lost without it." No one would question it because the prestigious internet never lies! The raers would start flowing again and all the usual filler crap would either be horded or hidden in the back room. I can almost see it now, Leo Sayer on the wall for $200 while I'm scooping heat for $5 all day long.

Just an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a while now.

MCF

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Uh oh

http://popsike.com

This is the Plesk??? default page

If you see this page it means:

1) hosting for this domain is not configured
    or
    2) there's no such domain registered in Plesk.

For more information please contact Administrator.

Did someone forget to renew their DNS?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Someone should start a site called "poopsike.com" or "popsyke.com" and make fake listings where all the common records like Elton John and the Eagles are listed at top dollar and the sprinkle in like Phil Ranelin for $12 and make all the 12s worth $5, Harvey Mason for $16, shit like that. Then we start a disinformation movement at all our local record stores, saying "Oh yeah, poopsike is the bomb, I'd be lost without it." No one would question it because the prestigious internet never lies! The raers would start flowing again and all the usual filler crap would either be horded or hidden in the back room. I can almost see it now, Leo Sayer on the wall for $200 while I'm scooping heat for $5 all day long.

Just an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a while now.

MCF

hahahahahahaha.

this shit is funny.

i actually said exactly this a year or two ago on here.... poopseek.com was my name.

BREAKZ YO!!!!!

i was going to post a set sale today, but i think i'm going to wait b/c i have NO IDEA HOW TO PRICE MY RECORDS W/OUT ACCESS TO THE MAINFRAME.

MEDIAN POPSIKE VALUE.
    SEALED OR BETTER CONDITION.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    YOU HAVE TO REACH..... BEYOND POPSIKE.

GOOGLE + "" + EBAY / "CACHED" = THE TROOF![/b]

do not speak on this secret code again.