funk from the thailand of the seventies....

subsub 311 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
i uploaded it for some friends and as you can download it 100x times from yousendit.com i felt like posting the link here too. music i bought during the last two visits in bangkok. obscure raw funk to exotic whatever......http://download.yousendit.com/9127AFB20AAE31C3

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Tracklisting?

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    very dope, thanks

• subsub 311 Posts
    i guess i won't manage to remember all the names and i don't have all the records here. you want to know some specific tracks? tell me the time they start and i'll try to tell you...

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    your lucky man, i didn't find shit for thai funk records in bangkok.

maybe i wasn't going to the right stores or something. i went to that section in chinatown that has like 5 - 6 stores including the 'dog' store.

i found a couple us funk records but no thai funk.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Lurkers killed this. Can we get a reupload?

• subsub 311 Posts
    there were actually two crazy dog stores in china town. in one of them i got the "stage show" by the impossibles for 5 bucks.

i'm just reuploading it...

preemptive thanks

• subsub 311 Posts
    and yeah. china town is the spot where everyone goes. there are some other places though where you might have more luck....

• subsub 311 Posts
    Lurkers killed this. Can we get a reupload?

here we go:

http://download.yousendit.com/F401237C6E36817B

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    how can this be done in an hour?

thirsty motherfuckers.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    There's lots of funk in Thailand, not impossibles either, private pressed shit... I'll post up some mp3s soon with names...

b

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    how can this be done in an hour?

thirsty motherfuckers.

Yeah, I tried to d/l it 3 minutes after the link was posted here
    and it was dead already.
    Damn, lurkers.

Peace

I hate to ask again, but can someone upload this to divshare or something?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Good lookin, O....

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Lovin it, thanks!

- J

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    Track listing please

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Thanks! Good work!

• hans_dbhans_db 18 Posts
    and yeah. china town is the spot where everyone goes. there are some other places though where you might have more luck....
    any advice more than welcome since i'll be spending some time in thai/laos soon.
    what labels/artist in particular to look for fi?

Thanks again. This is hot!

• subsub 311 Posts
    any advice more than welcome since i'll be spending some time in thai/laos soon.

what labels/artist in particular to look for fi?

when will you be there. i fly on the 12th of september. if you're around that time too i can show you some spots...

• subsub 311 Posts
    There's lots of funk in Thailand, not impossibles either, private pressed shit... I'll post up some mp3s soon with names...

b

yeah, please! always like to hear some new shit. the impossibles stage show looks like a private press by the way (no label and 100 mistakes in writing)....

• subsub 311 Posts
    Track listing please

i'll try:

1. don - do it
    2. impossibles - do it (till you're satisfied)
    3. ost "top teen talent" (i don't know artist/name. thai writing on the label)
    4. setya - pai tam duwang
    5. don - sunshine day
    6. impossibles - can't get enough of your love
    (i had a myspace profile with some of the songs and nicole willis
    to this one that it sounds like barry white after holidays on ko
    chang. pretty aproriate).
    7. ost for some thai film. labels again in thai so i can't read a word
    8. johnny guitar - kratae

ok. wasn't that hard to remember......

• subsub 311 Posts
    some more thai stuff.

impossibles - funky party

http://www.sendspace.com/file/us4u2l

setya - name in thai (sample)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6qxgey

the law and the sandy - oh! oh! oh! (very obscure stuff)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/onsbnn

There's a shop in Bangkok Chinatown that has mint copies of that Law & Sandy stuff, like deadstock, it wasn't my thing, so I left them...

Here's a couple that I found out there, #1 is The Impossibles, the other I can't translate... sorry for the quality, recorded in the hotel lobby with my soundburger...

thaifunk1.mp3 - 4.95MB

thaifunk2.mp3 - 3.91MB

• subsub 311 Posts
    could you post some cover scans? especially of the second track...

could you post some cover scans? especially of the second track...

don't have 'em with me, sent them back home, I will when I get to Australia tho, fucking thumper of a track, easily the best record from Thailand as far as funk goes (actual records RELEASED in thailand), for a long mile... it was on a private label with a chicken as a logo.. gatefold...

• hans_dbhans_db 18 Posts
    when will you be there. i fly on the 12th of september. if you're around that time too i can show you some spots...

bad luck; will be around from 22/07 till 19/08.
    will be my first time in BKK, so any more specific pointers are more than welcome, cause i assume chinatown is gonna be rather big

bad luck; will be around from 22/07 till 19/08.
    will be my first time in BKK, so any more specific pointers are more than welcome, cause i assume chinatown is gonna be rather big

Hey Raj,

there's so many travel posts, how about starting a sub-forum on here to keep all the info, so it doesn't clog up the main board and everyone can just use it as a reference? If you need someone to moderhate, I can do that sub-forum.

peace.