AL LANGER RIP [food related]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.laweekly.com/eat+drink/counter-intelligence/al-langer-the-counterman/16734/seriously, and not just cuz gold says so, but this spot serves the best pastrami in the country. YES NEW YORK I SAID THE BEST PASTRAMI IN THE COUNTRY! i never seen dude, but langers is one of my most favorite spots in LA.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    RIP. Langers is a straight up institution.

Best pastrami in L.A. for certain.

(Better than NYC? I won't go there like Shig did).

• I don't mean to switch it up on the thread, but I've been looking for the best Italian sub spot in the LA area. Of all the places I know, it's either dry bread, subpar meat, etc., etc.... Unfortunately we don't have a Little Italy out here, so I don't even know what specific area to check for. What are some favorite spots for heads on here? I gotta have that good gabagool...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im no expert on italian subs but there is a real OG spot in east LA chinatown area called east side deli.

here's a pic. its kinda off the beaten path on alpine but well worth the trip.

ohsnap! theyre more well known than i thought.

http://www.esmdeli.com/

• I must say, some of those sandwiches look pretty serious...

yup. but like i said, im no expert. im not sure if it will compare to back east, but itll do the job if u really fiending.

however, i do stand by langers as the best in the country. any east coast tourist/transplant ive been there with will testify.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    http://www.laweekly.com/eat+drink/counter-intelligence/al-langer-the-counterman/16734/

seriously, and not just cuz gold says so, but this spot serves the best pastrami in the country. YES NEW YORK I SAID THE BEST PASTRAMI IN THE COUNTRY! i never seen dude, but langers is one of my most favorite spots in LA.

This indeed is extremely good pastrami - fantastic. Better than the majority of the New York spots I've been to. However, Langer's too has been son'd in the world of pastrami - and deeply so. Believe it or not - the best pastrami in the country, in my opinion and in many-a New Yorker's opinion as well - is in the LA vicinity - but deep in the valley. Brent's Deli in Tarzana/Northdridge is fucking unbelievable. Like scary good. I couldn't believe it myself - I'm mad heeb'd out and take a lot of pride in a good deli. Brent's - in Tarzana, as weird as that sounds - has the real deal pastrami. Out of the way as a motherfucker and certainly not fun to drive home from with that shit sitting in your stomach - but well worth it. I shit you not. With the way this place looks and the website and all that crap - it doesn't seem official. But ye have faith - this is as real as it gets.

http://www.brentsdeli.com/

So, I took a drive up to Brent's.

Man, that trip was no joke even though I don't live THAT far from the SFV. Luckily, I had the Funk Flex 90s show to keep me company.

"After this, I'm gonna hit Soundbwoy Burriel, the remix, and BODY the city!"

Good times.

Ok, so Brent's hot pastrami was no joke. Thing was BIG, they don't skimp on the pastrami which is nice to see when you're paying $12.18 for a fuggin' sandwich.

However, I can't say it was better than Langers. The meat, while tasty was, to me, almost aggressively too salty. To me, a good pastrami sandwich is even better with mustard but this was a case where you really needed the mustard to provide some sweetness to counter the salt effect. Personally, I would have liked the meat to be a bit smokier too, something Langer's does well. Brent's was probably a better quality than, say, The Hat or Johnnie's (the latter is kind of a rip for what they charge) but I didn't think it was so bombastic that I'd ever hop back on the 405 and take an upnorth trip for seconds. I don't regret it but man, Northridge needs a record store or something. Double my pleasure and what not.

not to add insult to injury, but there's a brents in valley village, a prolly like 20 minutes closer.

ps

i just got lunch from haifa on pico. spaceghost hipped me to it. they have cutie sephardic waitresses.

not to add insult to injury, but there's a brents in valley village, a prolly like 20 minutes closer.

ps

i just got lunch from haifa on pico. spaceghost hipped me to it. they have cutie sephardic waitresses.

Shig - I didn't want to try the satellite spot. Wanted to try the OG. No Deli Reissues, son!

THE GREAT COLLECTRO!

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

my cellphone rings when it is called. i was doing some work at m****'s house. when you are in the neighborhood make the call. (oh and she wants to know what you think of the food.)