the new budos band jawn

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
anyone hear this yet? good shit all the way through. killer horn arrangements, drummy drums etc, etc...

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Yo they played that jawn on the college raido here in Atlanta last week!
    It's been a long time since i've heard some quality instrumental stuff.
    Track 1 is bananas!!!

• I got a promo copy....and it is sweeeeeet

plenty of psychedelic sound with crazy keyboard noises.

Also, a really hard, rough sound to the tracks, even more fierce than the last album.

Dudes are also incredibly cool & down. I hung out with them last night when they came through Santa Cruz.

I personally think they are the best band out there doing afro-funk. They have moved past just imitating Fela (which I also love) and are doing something genuinely new and compelling. If this record came out in 1972 and I came up on it in a dusty warehouse I would shit myself. I have a lot of raers that are hella tepid in comparison.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Also, a really hard, rough sound to the tracks, even more fierce than the last album.

exactly, they've managed to progress despite taking so many cues from an 'older' sound. i'm feeling how the horns seem like they were recorded down a hallway...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I got a promo copy....and it is sweeeeeet

Dudes are also incredibly cool & down. I hung out with them last night when they came through Santa Cruz.

I personally think they are the best band out there doing afro-funk. They have moved past just imitating Fela (which I also love) and are doing something genuinely new and compelling. If this record came out in 1972 and I came up on it in a dusty warehouse I would shit myself. I have a lot of raers that are hella tepid in comparison.

The cool thing about them was that they never really copied Fela's style (unlike Anitbalas who explicitly acknowledged being a Fela tribute band early in their career). They always brought a more American vibe to their Afro-Sound. Along with The Poets of Rhythm, they have been the best at updating the classic sounds of the 60/70s. I raved about their concert here in Portland last winter. Can't wait to see them again sometime soon.