WAR vs MANDRILL

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Slipping Into Darkness + Me And Baby Brother > Mandril

Sorry guys, it's War

TRUESPEAK!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

- and unfortunately, both bands lasted long enough to have a disco phase.

Based on their disco phase, War wins again on the 12" mix of 'Galaxy' which is a stone classic of the era, and a good argument that some bands of the funk era could compete in the danceclubs.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    , War wins again on the 12" mix of 'Galaxy' which is a stone classic of the era,

I almost ride too hard for that song. One of my favourite 12'' singles.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    , War wins again on the 12" mix of 'Galaxy' which is a stone classic of the era,

I gotta admit, I dig that song too. I got the 45 - with a pic sleeve - and it's gotten play often. Even "Galaxy - Part 2" on the B-side!

I always did like the interplay between the sax and the harmonica in the band, and they get a good riff going on this track...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

yes.

i passed on a 12" single of Outlaw (I forget what's on the flip) at goodwill the other day.

mistake?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "deliver the word" is a real beauty. turned into the scarface/gangstarr masterpiece "betrayal"

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    im giving it to war. their good songs are better than mandrill's good ones.

but does War have anything that comes close to the scalp-tingling heaviness of Two Sisters of Mystery?

I think Slippin into Darkness is heavier (not fuzz gtr-chugging heavier but heavier nonetheless)

this is probably as heavy as they got. think i'd have to ride for mandrill overall, they had jazz, rock, latin, funk all mashed into one. i guess war did too, but one thing mandrill never did was record a song called 'why can't we be friends?'

HAHA....NUFF SAID!! MANDRILL ALL DAY!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

"deliver the word" is a real beauty.

So is "The Black-Man's Burdon"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm not a huge WAR fan, but they've got several decent albums and some of their hits are pretty awesome. It's really scary that some of you are actually sitting around listening the fucking Mandrill albums and shit. Yikes!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    The judge talks.

Pipe down, frenchie.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    DUDE! you're soft.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I'm not a huge WAR fan, but they've got several decent albums and some of their hits are pretty awesome. It's really scary that some of you are actually sitting around listening the fucking Mandrill albums and shit. Yikes!

A.Who the fuck asked you?

B.you are such a know it all...... asshole

now run back to your safe haven at spermidermy before mommy or "VERONICA" gets worried about you and your micropenis...... douchetard

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

LOL @ Kala!!

ps/ I on everything you say.

A.Who the fuck asked you?

You're the one who made this retarded thread.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    whoa. who's veronica?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    kala, bapt and hcrink: dream thread

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    douchetard

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    kala, bapt and hcrink

• LINUSLINUS 20 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yes.

i passed on a 12" single of Outlaw (I forget what's on the flip) at goodwill the other day.

mistake?

Well, I don't know 'bout the 12" (might be remixed beyond recognition for all I know), but I remember "Outlaw" from when it was a comeback hit (in '82) and I dig it. It's definitely post-disco, but it's still good in spite of itself.

I can't speak for the album of the same name, but I'm cool with the 45 I have.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yes everybody loves WAR, their latinfunk sound is so very uniqe, heavy shit too, slipping into darkness, many classics, and yeah dropped Galaxy numerous times, not lately though..id throw on Jingo (candido) instead, anyway great records that i love................BUT they CANNOT fuck with the best of Mandrill!!!

MANDRILL:

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    Four Cornered Room
    The World Is A Ghetto
    Slippin' Into Darkness
    All Day Music
    So[/b]

those five[/b] alone make this a no contest imo

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    WAR is one of the great american bands. Southern Kind of Woman is that slept on funk masterpiece.

Oops I meant Southern Part of Texas.

• Four Cornered Room
    The World Is A Ghetto
    Slippin' Into Darkness
    All Day Music
    So[/b]
    DELEVIER THE WORD

those SIX[/b] alone make this a no contest imo

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Four Cornered Room
    The World Is A Ghetto
    Slippin' Into Darkness
    All Day Music
    So[/b]
    DELEVIER THE WORD

those SIX[/b] alone make this a no contest imo

1. Positive Thing
    2. Positive Thing
    3. Skying Upward
    4. The Road to Love
    5. Armadillo

6. Livin It Up
    7. Dirty Ole Man

Dudes are really showin their disconnectedness for real.
    Mandrill is far from some second rate Funk band. Or some Timmydigalot mind garden favorite.
    Parliment-Funkadelic opened for these cats.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In my book, War wins.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    War for life. A lot of my first musical memories come from their music. Say what you want about the songs that get radio airplay, but there's still "Me And Baby Brother", "Southern Part Of Texas", "H2 Overture", "In Your Eyes", "Four Cornered Room", "Where Was You At", "Beetles In The Bog", "In Mazatlan", "Leroy's Latin Lament", "Smile Happy" (SHAGGY!), and the almighty "Gypsy Man".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Now don't get me wrong, I like Mandrill a lot and I know they were big in their time. This is not about hits, per se - I just really see Mandrill as being fairly one-dimensional despite incorporating so many different genres into their music. War really has timeless songs, stuff that has a place at weddings, funk jams, laid back Sunday afternoons, karaoke nights, they've got deep spiritual vibes, I can bump it in my ride, I can bump it in my mom's ride, I can play it on the beach, I can play it in the rain... Mandrill is in a certain sense a one-trick pony, the latin-funk-world-rock thing. There are no deep Mandrill ballads (although I like "I Refuse To Smile"), I mean their shit jams but they were nowhere near as prolific as War when it comes to nailing a bunch of different vibes. IMO, of course

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

vs.