10 to 9 in favor of Mandrill.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Slipping Into Darkness + Me And Baby Brother > Mandrill

Fencewalk + Dont Mess With People > War

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I challenge you to a duel

Seriously I can't get with that. Mandrill has breaks... War has classics.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    WAR is one of the great american bands. Southern Kind of Woman is that slept on funk masterpiece.

Mandrill has classics as well.

I saw them live at the Brooklyn Bandshell around '98. Brooklyn/NYC cats knew all their songs.

Local Black/Latin EXP classic.

War had more of a pop presence.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the scalp-tingling heaviness of Two Sisters of Mystery?

familiarize me with this scamp tingling.

She said "scalp-tingling; I don't even know what scamp-tingling is, but I doubt bassie indulges in it.

It's true, I don't tingle scamps [color:white] anymore [/color]

I saw them live at the Brooklyn Bandshell around '98. Brooklyn/NYC cats knew all their songs.

On the West Coast, War>Mandrill in the "local Black/Latin EXP"

On the West Coast, War>Mandrill in the "local Black/Latin EXP"

No doubt. And War's hits still gets played on Local B/L Exp radio herr in NYC.......

But Mandrill is like Benard King to War's Patrick Ewing

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Sorry guys, it's War

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hate to sound like a teetotaler sitting on the fence, but both bands are equally good to me. Both are:
    - interracial heavy funk bands with strong jazz/Latin/rock influences;
    - both bands are big reasons why most early '70s funk groups had conga players;
    - both recorded uneven albums;
    - and unfortunately, both bands lasted long enough to have a disco phase.

But I'd take War and Mandrill over Malo and El Chicano!! Good God, you talk about bands who are only as good as their hits!

War had better singles, could jam a groove till the next morning but couldn't fashion an album like Mandrill.

I agree, War's LP's weren't that consistent, but I will stand by every last note of Deliver The Word, from Genesis to "Amen." That is just a well-done record all the way through. And I just bought their 1974 live album recently; for a collection of long jams, it holds up really well!

Actually I think Mandrill ONLY came into their own in the context of a long player. I think it depends what kind of musical chunk you might feel more inclined to listen to.

I'll admit, besides a few random 45's, the only Mandrill album I have is a best-of and it's pretty good! But I think the single edit of "Fencewalk" is far superior to it's LP counterpart. On the album version, there was this instrumental bridge that took a long time to develop. On the single, right after the verse is finished, it's ON, bro...they get rid of the buildup and cut to the chase. Somebody hollers "hunh!," then that horn section bears down real hard, followed by a SICK acid-rock guitar solo, and the party is already in full swing by then. This 45 version is ALWAYS a staple of my soul/funk nights.

Having said that, both bands had plenty of cheese to spare but Mandrill had a few tunes here and there which I found more awesome than anything I ever heard from War and/or 'funky' Eric Burdon

I like Eric Burdon, and I like War, but those albums they did together were mostly horrible (although I do like "Spill The Wine").

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

maybe war was a better band overall but these tracks override
    mandrill takes the race in photo finish

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    WAR by a landslide.

Mandrill= A group known for being sampled amongst the typical soulstrutta/loop digga
    WAR= GENIUS BROWN MUSIC WITH ACTUAL HITS THUS RELEVANT TO A LARGER AMOUNT OF PEOPLE.

WAR by a landslide.

Mandrill= A group known for being sampled amongst the typical soulstrutta/loop digga
    WAR= GENIUS BROWN MUSIC WITH ACTUAL HITS THUS RELEVANT TO A LARGER AMOUNT OF PEOPLE.

"but you aint brown..."

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

WAR.

But damn! there are like 3 or 4 albums of Mandrill that are really dope.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I know the Strut loves to pick a side just to have a stance but this might be one of those twice as nice situations where both are acceptable...?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    WAR by a landslide.

"but you aint brown..."

He definitely doesn't seem like it.

WAR by a landslide.

"but you aint brown..."

And didn't Mandrill have more actual Latinos in the crew???

I know the Strut loves to pick a side just to have a stance but this might be one of those twice as nice situations where both are acceptable...?

That's where I stand...

WAR by a landslide.

"but you aint brown..."

And didn't Mandrill have more actual Latinos in the crew???

true, but i'm sayin' the barrio is all about WAR. Just like the hood rides hard for Mariah.

ewef!

• Played back to back both of these albums are fantastic, but i think war got the better deal on the popular vote. Eric burdon is very well known for having much more exposure in other groups. Having the track in cheech & chongs up in smoke certainly did not hurt them for fame.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

VS.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One of the highlights of my DJing era was playing Fencewalk at Webster Hall.....mofos went bananas.

WAR by a landslide.

Mandrill had hit singles; you can look it up in Billboard's R&B chart books (and I remember hearing "Fencewalk" and "Hang Loose" on the radio as a child). It's just that:
    (a) unlike War, they never crossed over pop
    (b) you don't hear them played to death on black oldies shows (or "dusties" shows, as we call them in Chicago). Black dusties shows can be very selective, and just 'cause an artist had chart hits doesn't mean they'll be in rotation.

They had their moment in the light, they weren't just some obscure crate-digger thang.

They had their moment in the light, they weren't just some obscure crate-digger thang.

Exactly.

Dudes played w/ EW&F/IsleyBros/Commodores and hung w/ them. And probably blew them off the stage when in NYC.

Played back to back both of these albums are fantastic, but i think war got the better deal on the popular vote. Eric burdon is very well known for having much more exposure in other groups. Having the track in cheech & chongs up in smoke certainly did not hurt them for fame.

Yeah, but War were already established by the time "Low Rider" was used (three years later) in Up In Smoke, so it's not like that made their career. Didn't hurt, though, as you said.

Exactly.

Dudes played w/ EW&F/IsleyBros/Commodores and hung w/ them. And probably blew them off the stage when in NYC.

Has that clip of them playing live on Soul Train in '73 made it to Youtube yet?

WAR by a landslide.

Mandrill had hit singles; you can look it up in Billboard's R&B chart books (and I remember hearing "Fencewalk" and "Hang Loose" on the radio as a child). It's just that:
    (b) you don't hear them played to death on black oldies shows (or "dusties" shows, as we call them in Chicago). Black dusties shows can be very selective, and just 'cause an artist had chart hits doesn't mean they'll be in rotation.

Young Phonics: SONNED!

WAR by a landslide.

Young Phonics: SONNED!

Just another day for Pickwick! dude can not be faded with knowledge of music. I'll gladly take a sonning from dude.

I will say though, I hear WAR a lot on the radio while only Mandrill's "Fencewalk" seems to just get play on the Sunday shows, which typically go a bit further than normal.

Yeah, War is WAY bigger on the west coast... on all levels. I think that's part of the discrepancy you see in this thread.

Mandrill's Fencewalk was on Good Times.....Thelma was gettin her Fonk awn!