Wise Intelligent/Poor Righteous Teachers Tribute

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
First off, I hope everyone is enjoying a nice relaxing Holiday. Myself, I'm busy working to get everything done so I can go on the these Scribble Tour dates. However, I'm not bothered by that since starting tomorrow I'll be on the road in a different city for the next couple days that ends up in Hawaii.....that's worth an extra day of work...ha.Anyway, even though I'm gone for a couple weeks the show must go on. I have just completed pre-recording two weeks of shows to air. I decided to play tribute to one of the greatest and most under-rated MCs in the game, Wise Intelligent. In '90 his crew, Poor Righteous Teachers, dropped a classic 12", "Rock Dis Funky Joint". Not too long after they dropped a critically acclaimed/fan appreciated album called "Holy Intellect". This was a time of Hip Hop music very concerned with content; social and political consciousness, the teachings of the 5% nation, and the on-going struggles from the results of slavery. PRT was on the forefront of addressing these issues....and they did it with so much style. Seriously this dude has to have one of the all time best deliveries in Hip Hop!! Off the top of the head, the only MCs can think of who can deliver lyrics so quick and concise/articulate yet complex are Pharoahe Monche, Micah 9, and Aceyalone. On top of that, he had excellent voice plus he but nuff emphasis on style. Also, although they were clearly concerned with spreading the gift of knowledge, wisdom and understanding they were by no means one-dimensional. Wise Intelligent always took tome to deal with the suckers and fraud MCs. Every album he made sure to honor the ladies (ex: Shakiyla). Fans of Roots & Culture Reggae will find a vast array of selections in their catalog worthy of praise. I think it is too often thought that they just had the one strong debut album. Personally I think all four PRT albums are excellent! My personal favorite has to be "Black Business" in '93. Wise Intelligent is seriously murdering the style, content, delivery on every track on this album. Versatility was not an issue here....ha. I decided to format the show a little different with this Tribute and with each set take you on an evolution thru the 4 PRT albums. Plus sneak in a couple guest appearances with King Sun, Jel, etc...For those that don't know, but probably should -The Crew:Wise Intelligent (Lead Vocals)Culture Freedom (Vocals and Production)Father Shaheed (DJ and Production)Extended "crew": Tony D (Depula) was a key "beat-maker" for them thru out their career-The Catalog:Holy Intellect '90Pure Poverty '92Black Business '93New World Order '96Also, there is a Wise Intelligent solo album in '96, "Killing You For Fun".To make this all the more a perfect time for this, Wise Intelligent has a brand new solo album dropping July 17th called "The Talented Timothy Taylor". What I have heard so far is more than a enough proof that man has not lost his touch. I also saw him rock twice last year; once briefly at Rock Steady and then here in MPLS at Anti Columbus Day...both times he killed it. It's time for him to collect some way past due props and I'm trying to help make that happen.I had the honor of speaking to the man himself so thru out the next two weeks of this special you'll hear excerpts from our interview where talks about; his influences, the beef with YZ, the situation with KRS One, how they got their record deal with Profile, why those last 3 albums didn't get the push they should have from the label, and many other interesting topics.Oh yeah, don't forget the "Talented Timothy Taylor" in stores July 17th!! You need that!! He promises it's his most personal work to date. With production from Oh No and a list of note-worthy up and comers. Full print interview available on the blog once I complete all my travels and there will also be a special internet only bonus set that will post up with the 7-14-07 show!!Here's the plan:7-7-07 (what a great date for it!!!): History of PRT/Wise Intelligent Pt 17-14-07 History of PRT/Wise Intelligent Pt 2Tune in this saturday to get your first dosage:-LISTEN THIS SATURDAY NITE!!11 pm until Midnight (central us time)Twin Cities: 89.3 The CurrentOnline: kcmp.org (if you miss it it's online forever along with every other show and playlist I've ever done!!)-MEMOIRS OF REDEFINITION RADIO:Don't Forget to read the "overly" informational blog: redefradio.gather.com/There's lots of lyrical analyzing, history and all that. Expect updates weekly.Coming soon will be more random rambling about rap as well as Interviews (up first: Count Coolout, Mele Mel and The Poetess), and a few other concepts that I'm toying with.In the archives find articles on: International Hip Hop, History of Reggae/Hip Hop, History of Story-telling In Hip Hop, and much more!! -LAST WEEKS SHOW:June 30, 2007Third Annual B-Girl Be SpecialListen Playlist:Anomolies (Pri The Honeydark & Helixx C Armageddon) - " Lunchbreak" '99Instrumental: The Treacherous Three - "Hearbeat" '81MC Lyte - "Survival Of The Fittest Remix" '89Kings Of Swing - "Show Me What You Got" '88Salt N Pepa - "I Desire" '87Cookie Crew - "Rhymes and Careers" '89Instrumental: Afrika Bambaataa & The Cosmic Force - "Zulu Nation Throwdown" '80Lisa Lee - "I???m A Pioneer" '88Finesse and Synquis - "Soft But Deadly" '88Antoinette - "Here She Comes" '89Ice Cream Tee - "I Am The Epodess" '89Sparky D - "Never Ran, Never Will [Redefinition Radio Brownsville Blend Mix]" '88/???07Instrumental: Babydoll - "You Can???t Break A B - "boy???s Heart" '87[DJ Plain Ole Bill B - Girl Breaks Mini Mix]Aretha Franklin - "Rock Steady" '71Esther Williams - "Last Night Changed It All" '76Michel'le - "No More Lies" '89Cutmaster D.C. - "Horse With No Name"Grace Jones - "Pull Up To The Bumper" '81Instrumental: Jeanie Reynolds - "Fruit Song" '76Minnie Riperton - "Reasons" '74

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    A bit of discussion here several months back.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    My personal favorite has to be "Black Business" in '93.
    Wise Intelligent is seriously murdering the style, content, delivery
    on every track on this album.
    Versatility was not an issue here....ha.

Best track for me is Selah. Rhyme and vocal delivery
    are spot on. I still have a sealed copy of this album
    waiting to be opened on the day i find my current play
    copy is too trashed to play anymore.

Big Up PRT.

• Looks great.

It's too bad the attitude of some members on the board drove Tony D off of here. It would have been nice to have heard some stories.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Looks great.

It's too bad the attitude of some members on the board drove Tony D off of here. It would have been nice to have heard some stories.

i missed that. what was his handle b/w when?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Looks great.

Harvey_Wallbanger.

Just joking. I think it was simply TonyD, you follz and idots.

• Looks great.

You'll find it if you look. It was pretty much one giant thread where tony asked if something was rare or something like that, and the members proceeded to jump on him and make fun of him. I can't remember exactly, but at the time i defenitely remember thinking it was a low point in the history of the boards.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Steady Slangin is my fav joint off Wise's solo Lp. Anyone have a spare 12" of it they wanna slang my way?

• djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
    Steady Slangin is my fav joint off Wise's solo Lp. Anyone have a spare 12" of it they wanna slang my way?

off that solo album my joint was "freestyle"...he is murdering that verse. Steady Slanging would be second. I just gave my extra two copies of steady slanging away a few weeks ago...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm gonna check for this.

In '90 his crew, Poor Righteous Teachers, dropped a classic 12", "Rock Dis Funky Joint". Not too long after they dropped a critically acclaimed/fan appreciated album called "Holy Intellect". This was a time of Hip Hop music very concerned with content; social and political consciousness, the teachings of the 5% nation, and the on-going struggles from the results of slavery.[/b] PRT was on the forefront of addressing these issues....and they did it with so much style.

I really hope rap gets back to this.