FIFA U-20

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
anyone following? I got tix to mexico vs portugal on thursday That Spain comeback was ill the other day.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Thinking about buying tickets.

I live 2 mins from BMO.

Just hoping I can watch the Korea game in a few minutes on CBC.ca

Don't wanna wait untill 11pm to watch it taped on TV.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I'm thinking I might go to quarters in a couple of weeks.

• anyone following? I got tix to mexico vs portugal on thursday That Spain comeback was ill the other day.

Isn't Mexico busy playing the Copa America?

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    yes copa america is happening at the same time as the under-20 world cup.

but copa america is the national team while the under-20 world cup is made up of kids who aren't needed by the national team right now. for example i think Argentinian leo messi would qualify to play in the u-20 world cup, but right now he is playing with the national team in copa america.

b.t.w. the us under-20 team blow-out of poland was a little suprise since poland just shocked brazil earlier this week. i'm looking forward to seeing the brazil v. usa match now. especially to see how adu responds. he played well today. mexico and argentina have some seriously talented kids coming up in their ranks.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I watched the Euro u-21 championship and although I was glad Holland took the title, I can't say the teams played at a great level, mostly probably to do with the long season their players just had at their clubs.

Anyone following the Copa Am??rica?

Brazil's pretty dissapointing so far.

Argentina probably got the best chances to take it, either them or Mexico. Peru might be an outsider (depsite their embarrassing loss to Venezuela), but Farf??n seems to be out for the rest of the tournament.

since they are going on simutaneiously i thought i'd make a few comments about both copa america (which i was surprised to learn (brace yourself for this fun fact) is the oldest international football tournament in the world) and the u-20 world cup here.

copa america[/b]

i was really looking forward to the quarterfinals games played last weekend. all the games were such blow-outs so the games weren't that exciting but there were some great goals. to save you all the time of watching these games here is how i see the rest playing out. brazil over uruguay probably by a couple of goals even. in the other semi-final which is my most anticipated game of the copa america i am picking argentina over mexico. (sorry [email]c@**0s[/email] the mysterystrutter i think mexico will be overpowered in this match-up) i think this will be a great game probably and the best of the tournament. so that leaves us a brazil argentina final. i'm gonna pick argentina to take the trophy. it would be a different story if brazil had the services of ronaldinho and kaka.

u-20[/b]

i haven't been able to get as many on tv. usually one a day. but the games i have watched have been really competitive. the us team has been a real surprise. freddie adu has been playing as he has been expected to all along. making great plays in both the poland and brazil games. with their outstanding group play i think the us has positioned themselves to go quite far in the tournament. the spain brazil match up in the round of 16 is gonna be great. i hope argentina and mexico both pass their round of 16 game to face-off. i can't pick any winners yet. some great games still to come.

let's go football strutters lets pick up the posts. otherwise i'll talk to you about this on a sunday afternoon mysterystrutter.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    anyone following? I got tix to mexico vs portugal on thursday That Spain comeback was ill the other day.

yes, so exciting matches so far
    espnu = games with out the usual abc/espn idiot commentators

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Going to see Argentina vs Poland. Already caught Canada's dismal showing against Chile.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    the first adu goal against poland was

be interesting to see how if any of the US U-20's flip this into playing in europe.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    going on sunday at the fabled Olympic Stadium.
    Nigeria plays the winner of Chile/Portugal.
    Chile up a goal.
    Hope i dont have to deal with the HOARDS of portugese in town.

the mexico v congo game is on down here. i think mexico is gonna pull through this one. they are a better team. congo has some talented and athletic players who are getting some chances. but mexico is more organized, while congo has make some glaring mistakes.

i'm sure the mystery strutter is green with happiness right now. i'd like to see this result too, bring on mexico v. argentina.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Just got back from the poland vs argentina game. Great atmosphere poland fans were out in full force. Suprising to see Poland to score first, although the goal looked offside and haven't seen a replay, anyone catch this goal on TV? Argentina totaly outclassed Poland, their passing and ball control is very impressive. I think they'll definately have a spot in the final.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I was at the game too, first time experiencing BMO stadium, the atmosphere is great. Saw this big shouting match between the two contingent of fans. Some polish dude got chucked out for spilling beer over this Argentinian girl. She was the definition of UMAD.

Aguero's goal was pure class, quality!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Did anyone see the Chile/Portugal game??

Dude from Portugal actually grabbed the red card from the referees hand .... fucking hilarious to watch and then he started bawling once he was carded for doing so.... thank god Chile won that game.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I went to my first soccer game, Gambia VS Austria. Wasn't the most exciting, but we made it fun by yelling "KILL YO'SELF" (ala three six mafia) everytime the ref made a bad call, which was often.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Freddy Adu is being linked to Celtic

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I sold my tickets to Argentina vs Poland. We were hoping it was going to be Korea. And when it wasn't and dudes were offering me crazy dough, I sold.

Looking back, I should have went for fun. Oh well... Anyone going to see finals? Who's it going to be??? Mexico VS USA??

That would be interesting...

i haven't been able to catch enough games to make supremely educated picks but i am rooting for a spain v. usa semi-final. i think the us will have to play out of their minds to beat spain and move on to the final. on the other side i think both of those quarter final matches could go either way, but if you were holding a roberto carlos free kick to my head i'd pick the semi-final to be argentina v. nigeria.

as for copa america i'm going with the favorites (at least i think they are) argentina. in their semi-final matches brazil barely beat uruguay, and would have lost were it not for some horrendously placed penalty kicks by forlan and lugano. i thought the mexico v. argentina game was going to be a lot closer but mexico gave up after messi scored the second goal. by the way i was reminded of the last time mexico and argentina met by mystery stutter. here you go...