Your Favorite Bass Voice Songs

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Enough with all these helium falsettos, let's give the bass singer some!- "Silent Night," Temptations (Melvin Franklin's greatest performance!)- "Blue Moon," Marcels- "Old Man River," Ravens- "Get On Up," Esquires- "Can't You Hear That Beat," Carltons

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My first thought was Paul Robeson - Old Man River. The later the version the better. The version on the Othello 10" from the 50s and the Carnegie Hall concert from the early 60s are good ones.

Barry White and Issac Hayes were the soul singers I thought of.

Somewhere I have a cassette with a 50s acapella gospel quartet with bass lead singing Just a closer Walk With Thee that is definitive.

I've been digging Albert King singing The Very Thought Of You.

Johnny Cash - It Makes Me Tremble

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    almost forgot - "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford!!

• novi singers-"5,4,3"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    (Paging Herm)

B*** P*****
    I Want Jesus To Walk With Me

I wish I had a clip to pay, but yes I love that track and the drums at the beginning always bug me out, but nearly as much as the deep as fuck baritone voice that comes in 20 seconds later
    (someone please post audio)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that tune offa the first Parliament LP..cant remember the name of it...but the lyrics go "hes gonna be a big man and demand respect"...shit, whats that called?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I really like Sam Gooden's parts on "I've Been Trying" - they are sorely missed in most cover versions I hear.

I heard the Notations' version of it, and they were defninitely losing without a deep "she's gonna chaayaayaaaange"

B*** P*****[/b]

No offense, but that's what I hate about the funky-breakbeat community...folks are too paranoid to pass on knowledge.

No sense in talking about B.P. if ya can't tell us B.P.'s name!!

that tune offa the first Parliament LP..cant remember the name of it...but the lyrics go "hes gonna be a big man and demand respect"...shit, whats that called?

Something like "Put A Little Love In Your Life?"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Something like "Put A Little Love In Your Life?"

yes! thank you! thats been itchin' my brain since I posted...

I really like Sam Gooden's parts on "I've Been Trying" - they are sorely missed in most cover versions I hear.

I heard the Notations' version of it, and they were defninitely losing without a deep "she's gonna chaayaayaaaange"

This reminds me of the bass voice in the Radiants'"Voice Your Choice": "yeaaaah, but is he the one?"

Also, from a totally different field: anything by country singer Dave Dudley, particularly his big pop-crossover hit "Six Days On The Road."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    B*** P*****[/b]

No offense, but that's what I hate about the funky-breakbeat community...folks are too paranoid to pass on knowledge.

No sense in talking about B.P. if ya can't tell us B.P.'s name!!

I'd say who it is but I took a vow of secret squirrel silence on this album a while back and must follow it until I'm told that the cats out the bag.

Many people on this board do know who/ what I'm talking about so hopefully one of them can post audio

Aretha's voice has deepend into a very rich baritone. On an award show a few years ago Pavarotti canceled and Aretha stepped in and Ava Maria or Nessa Dorma, I can't remember which. It was really great. She does Ava Maria on her gospel lp from the 80s I think.

Aretha's voice has deepend into a very rich baritone. On an award show a few years ago Pavarotti canceled and Aretha stepped in and Ava Maria or Nessun Dorma, I can't remember which. It was really great. She does Ava Maria on her gospel lp from the 80s I think.

I found a clip of her singing Nessun Dorma at the White House, but the audio is unacceptable. She sang it on some award show but I guess some legal folks are keeping it off youtube.

Aretha's voice has deepend into a very rich baritone. On an award show a few years ago Pavarotti canceled and Aretha stepped in and Ava Maria or Nessun Dorma, I can't remember which. It was really great. She does Ava Maria on her gospel lp from the 80s I think.

I found a clip of her singing Nessun Dorma at the White House, but the audio is unacceptable. She sang it on some award show but I guess some legal folks are keeping it off youtube.

Aretha proves she's still a musical force
    A week after she stole the Grammy Awards show, the bouquets were still arriving at Aretha Franklin's house.

Franklin, who had already rocked New York's Radio City Music Hall with Respect, topped herself by stepping in at the last instant for ailing opera star Luciano Pavarotti and blowing everybody away with Nessun dorma, the hero's big aria from Puccini's Turandot.

The Queen of Soul sang the Unknown Prince's signature number in Pavarotti's key (three steps lower than her own) with a 72-piece orchestra after a mere eight minutes of preparation backstage. Just another triumph for a diva who has sung for presidents, kings and queens, won more Grammys (15) than any other woman and was the first female admitted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After a lifetime of transcendent moments, she still love(s) to do it. I had a great time singing it." Apparently, much of the audience - including 25.1 million TV viewers in the USA alone - had a great time hearing it.

The reaction has just been overwhelming, says Franklin, 55, in a phone interview from home. I've gotten the most beautiful, exotic floral arrangements. Eddie Murphy sent me several dozen pink roses. The house is lined with big, beautiful arrangements from one end to the other. I just can't stand it.

Pavarotti just called her at home. They had a lovely conversation about doing the aria as a duet in June at a charity benefit in his home city of Modena, Italy.