instrumental acoustic lp’s

2»

Comments

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Steffen Basho Junghans

This guy is amazing...although I don't think his recordings do him justice...

"Over a little over a decade, Junghans has released five records in Germany on Blue Moment Arts, and three in the United States on Portland-based Strange Attractors Audio House. On the first of the U.S. albums, 2001's Inside, Junghans combines Native American, Asian, and European classical styles, filtering all through his own unique experimental style. For 2002's splendid Waters in Azure, Junghans is said to have drawn inspiration from themes of "structure, space, and state" in creating wildly strange, organic compositions that merge minimalist technique, American blues, Eastern raga, and the folk guitar tradition. 2003's Rivers and Bridges is a rich series of meditations on the six- and twelve-string guitar that seem to explore the themes of the album's title while providing a stylistic link between Junghans's personal vision for the acoustic guitar and the legacy of Basho, John Fahey and the other guitarists of the Takoma label (one 17-minute piece here is titled "The Takoma Bridge Incident"). Like Basho and Fahey before him, Junghans uses his guitar as a luminous bridge between the soul of traditional and ethnic music and the intellect of modern experimental music."

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/steffenbashojunghans.html

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    wilburn burchette

That trancendental 7 gates of whatever album he did is crazy. I love it, but unfortunately my copy skips in a few places. If you ever find an extra clean one let me know.

• wilburn burchette

That trancendental 7 gates of whatever album he did is crazy. I love it, but unfortunately my copy skips in a few places. If you ever find an extra clean one let me know.

that is a wonderful album that i have only found once ( personal copy )

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    peter walker

I have one of his Takoma lp's, it's very nice. That one you see around with the Sphinx cover...easy to get.

I believe you're thinking of Peter Lang's LP The Thing At The Nursery Room Window on Takoma. It has a sphinx on the cover.

Speaking of Langs don't sleep on Mark Lang's Texas John Boscoe LP on Symposium.

Other acoustic folk things:
    George Cromarty/ Grassroots Guitar on Thistle
    Michael Gulezian/ Snow on Aardvark
    All the Suni McGrath LPs on Adelphi: Childgrove, The Call of the Mourning Dove, and Cornflower Suite
    Both Daniel Hecht LPs (pre-Windham Hill) are incredible. I have an extra of the first one, PM me if you need it (it's got some light marks.)
    And don't disrespect

There are many, many more: John Pell, Lloyd Garber, Ron Hudson, Albin Zak, etc.

wilburn burchette

Wot's this one all about? did a bit of googling. Looks good...

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    I meant to say:

Don't disrespect William Ackerman's first two on Windham Hill. If only the label had stayed in this mode.

One more: Billy Faier's Takoma LP. Fits right after Fahey on your shelf alphabetically.

• peter walker

I have one of his Takoma lp's, it's very nice. That one you see around with the Sphinx cover...easy to get.

I believe you're thinking of Peter Lang's LP The Thing At The Nursery Room Window on Takoma. It has a sphinx on the cover.

Speaking of Langs don't sleep on Mark Lang's Texas John Boscoe LP on Symposium.

Ahh, yes that's right! Thanks for clearing that up.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    wilburn burchette

Wot's this one all about? did a bit of googling. Looks good...

I don't think I can do it justice, but it's one guy on some odd kind of guitar, playing spaced out, reverb heavy music.

The cover says it all.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Rob is in the house.

Listen to this man, he knows his shit.

d

I meant to say:

Don't disrespect William Ackerman's first two on Windham Hill. If only the label had stayed in this mode.

One more: Billy Faier's Takoma LP. Fits right after Fahey on your shelf alphabetically.

• Dan Lambert "Hot Time On The Old Town Tonight" is decent. In the footsteps of Fahey with more bottleneck throw in the mix. Co-sign on the earlier mention of Peter Walker, on Vanguard, featuring Jeremy Steig on flute if I'm not mistaken. Sir Richard Bishop on Revenant is essential as well.

• Co-Hamza

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    George Mrgdichian
    Richard Hagopian

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Some more newer stuff-

Jim O'Rourke- bad timing, this album is radd
    Pullman- "viewfinder & "turnstyles & junkpiles" are both really nice albums

Just got a few cool ones from beardedD-
    Moro "moonset" this guys a great guitar player!
    Jim Ohlschmidt- got 2 albums, both really nice listens

• awallawall 673 Posts
    the last acoustic-only LP to blow my mind:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Paco De Lucia

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Paco De Lucia
    YES

• merlemerle 39 Posts
    David Grubbs - Banana Cabbage, Potato Lettuce, Onion Orange