If It Rotates - Back again!

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited July 2007 in Announcements
Back to Business!Show #52 - a big mix of funk & soul & jazz! Some great tunes in the mix this week - the opening set is shorter songs, with a stong influence of funk - from the Senegalese band Orchestre du Bawobab to Kool and the Gang, to Lee Dorsey, the opening set is movin'! It concludes with a classic Fontella Bass track 'Rescue Me', which I then use to segue into the 2nd half, which opens with the Art Ensemble of Chicago's fiery 'Theme de Yoyo' with Fontella Bass on vocals in a completely different style. "Your eyes are like two blind eagles who kill what they can't see"! Then there's the inimitiable Leon Thomas, and a percussion heavy number by Ghanean band Hedzoleh Soundz. Lots of different styles in this show, check it out! IF IT ROTATES Orchestre du Bawobab - Kelen Ati LenLafayette Afro Rock Band - AzetaGeorge Soule - Get InvolvedSandi & Matues - The WorldKool and the Gang - PneumoniaLee Dorsey - Give Me YouFontella Bass - Rescue MeArt Ensemble of Chicago - Theme de YoyoLeon Thomas - Pharoah's Tune (the Journey)Hedzoleh Soundz - Nye Tamo AmeIsley Brothers - Work to Do

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    bump!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Next show is now up - check it:

It's like 37 degrees here, hot hot hot, so it's time for a special summer madness show! But you can't just jump in with the hot tracks - you've got to ease in, take it real slow-like. Don't worry, I got you covered. The first set opens with some slower tracks, and then heats up. The amazing 'Summer Madness' by Kool and the Gang opens up the show, there's some smooth Brazillian grooves from Azimuth, and a great Minnie Ripperton track. We start heating up with Margie Joseph's 'Sweeter Tomorrow' and hit full-on blazing with Wilson Picket - damn that song is great! Uptempo funk by the Caprells and Bebeto round out the opening set.

The second half moves with some different rhythms - from Brazil, Tania Maria and Doris Monteiro give us some cool sounds, and Milton Banana shows that you dont need a big band for big sound. Rounding out the second half is Jack Costanzo, Mr. Bongo, with an awesome cha-cha-cha, 'Quiere'. Finally the show finishes with Johnny Colon's Boogaloo Blues. Note that the band in the background is chanting 'LSD has a hold on me' (!!). Summer Madness indeed.

IF IT ROTATES

Kool and the Gang - Summer Madness
    Azimuth - Voo Sobre O Horizonte
    Minnie Riperton - Baby, This Love I Have
    Margie Joseph - Sweeter Tomorrow
    Arthur Conley - One Night Is All I Need
    Wilson Picket - Get Me Back on Time, Engine Number 9
    The Caprells - Close Your Eyes
    Bebeto - Princesa Negra De Angola
    Tania Maria - A Paz
    Doris Monteiro - Conquiero Verde
    Milton Banana Trio - Cicade Vazia
    Jack Costanzo - Quiere
    Johnny Colon - Boogaloo Blues

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Show #54! The If It Rotates show is going for summer holidays, and to tide everyone through I've recorded a special Non-Stop show... normally I talk about the songs a little bit and such, but I was having such a good time recording this show that I just kept going... and going... and going! All styles are represented in this show, from Latin, to Brazillian, to Bollywood, to Soul, to Afro, to Funk... and all in a non-stop package. I was dancing away while recording it, and just kept pulling tracks that I love... think of it as a little peak into my private mind garden.

So like I said, this is the last show until the weekend of August 5, and hopefully I can put another show up then. So take care of yourselves, and check for another show in a couple of weeks.

IF IT ROTATES

Elza Soares - Mascara Da Face
    Alfredito - Do It Good
    Luciano Perrone e Sus Ritmistas Brasileiros - Tamborins Envenenados
    Charlie Palmieri - Fat Papa's Descarga
    Shankar Jaikishan - Jan Pahechan Ho
    Rare Earth - Get Ready
    the Majestics - Do Your Own Thing
    Quincy Jones - Money Runner
    El Chicles - Bantu
    Cold Blood - Baby I Love You
    IRP-3 - Tema de Soninha