RUNNING SHOES (NRR)

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I've been running nearly every day for the last 2 years or so. I run outside, and not in a gym, and have been rockin' an old pair of New Balance's everyday when I go for a run. After experiencing some foot/knee pain, I figured I'd better step up my running shoe game. Any suggestions? I really don't care about appearance, as long as it's something that looks decent. I'm looking for something that has both comfort and support, more than anything.

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    they are steep, but they are godly, ASICS Kayanos.
    http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Mens-GEL-Kayano-XI/dp/B0006L1MU0

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Don't know about the best shoes, but I want to start running with Nike+.
    Seems like a good method to keep a slacker like myself motivated.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    for all old heads with bad knees. run on the street rather than the sidewalk, its softer.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    for all old heads with bad knees. run on the street rather than the sidewalk, its softer.

with, against, and / or across traffic?

Don't know about the best shoes, but I want to start running with Nike+.
    Seems like a good method to keep a slacker like myself motivated.

i got some of those joints. they're pretty comfy and light as fuck. i got them for cheap; $30 or $40 at paragon in nyc. i think apple & nike collabo'ed on something for this shoe. whatever that feature is, i'm not using it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would stay w/ New Balance, but put some $$$ on it. If not go to a Runners Shop and do some research.

• I would stay w/ New Balance, but put some $$$ on it. If not go to a Runners Shop and do some research.
    I thought about getting a pair of those shock-absorbant inserts, but I thought getting a new pair altogether may be the best idea. Anyone use those while running? Good idea?

If not go to a Runners Shop and do some research.

True. A lot of things come into play such:
    - terrain
    - the way your feet land when you run
    - support
    - width of your foot
    - and of course the color of your shoes. Some colors make you run faster than others.

Some places have a set-up that allows them to analyze the way that you run. You get on a treadmill and they film your feet. After that, they can play it for you in slow-mo and see what your conditions are.

Also, if you are running away from the cops, I would advise against LA Gear "LA Lights" series or anything with reflective materials.

I would stay w/ New Balance, but put some $$$ on it. If not go to a Runners Shop and do some research.
    I thought about getting a pair of those shock-absorbant inserts, but I thought getting a new pair altogether may be the best idea. Anyone use those while running? Good idea?

Bad Idea Jeans, dude. Shock absorbents are there to supplement your shoe / performance, not replace it. The fact is running shoes wear out. You're supposed to switch them ever so often, just like anything else you use vigorously. It can actually be debilitating to your performance to stay with the same pair of shoe for an extended amount of time for many reasons. For one, think about all the collected sweat in there...

• This is true...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

TRIUMPH 4

TRIUMPH 4

Ill say one thing about Running Sneakers...............Looking Fly aint a priority.
    Performance first.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

- and of course the color of your shoes. Some colors make you run faster than others.

who looks at their feet when they're running???

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

TRIUMPH 4

Ill say one thing about Running Sneakers...............Looking Fly aint a priority.
    Performance first.
    i actually got lucky in the 'looking fly' category ... i went to a running store and the dude working there picked these out for me based on the wear on my regular shoes, the width and length of my foot and the type of running i'd be doing. I do know they're crazy comfortable and i haven't had any problems with them yet, a little bit of a blister on the inside of the foot but that was easy to take care of.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

who looks at their feet when they're running???
    when i'm in the gym i do find that looking at myself in the mirror helps me focus and keep from running sloppy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Goddamn those things are heinous looking.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

i run in these (mine are army green though)... nike air zoom moire +... i can't reccomend them highly enough... they weigh pretty much nothing, the padding in the sole is great, they breathe really well, and if you have an ipod nano, they will tell you how far you ran and whatnot

• , and if you have an ipod nano, they will tell you how far you ran and whatnot
    How does that work?

• rsmeetsrsmeets 35 Posts
    my friend's dad is a podiatrist and runs marathons- he always recommended new balance- and it was so (for me)... although people's feet are shaped differently and your stride may be different- your best bet is to go to a running store and ask...

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    you have to get the adaptor that plugs into your ipod nano (not sure of the cost), and the shoes send information to the ipod about how many steps you take, distance, etc.

i haven't used it because i have a 60GB video ipod

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i shd mention mine are in white w/ blue so they dont stand out quite as much but i think they look badass

when i'm in the gym i do find that looking at myself in the mirror helps me focus and keep from running sloppy.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    on point

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i shd mention mine are in white w/ blue so they dont stand out quite as much but i think they look badass

Perfect for lollypop-fueled all-night raving?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i dont get it? sharpen yr tiesto disses son

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i dont get it?

Do you find that these shoes not only provide you with the support you need when partaking of your Local Tiesto Experience, but that they also draw favorable comments from boys with gelled hair and visors?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i dont get it?

Do you find that these shoes not only provide you with the support you need when partaking of your Local Tiesto Experience, but that they also draw favorable comments from boys with gelled hair and visors?
    i dont think folks my age even rave, thats yr generation

seriously, where'd this 'deej likes to rave' thing come from? shit doesnt make sense

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I have done a fair bit of running. Up to the Marathon. Always go for comfort. I also have a friend who is a much better runner than me and works for New Balance. His advice is, that on any shoe, the shock absorbtion qualities of the shoe drop off dramatically after about 800 miles or so.

Serious runners do 800 miles fairly quickly. I dunno, in a couple of months? So, perhaps if you don't have endorsement from a shoe company, go for something cheap but comfy that you can bin a few times a year.

Just my 2p.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

I've been wearing these Nike Air Assail and the front of them (and all others I've worn while playing disc golf) come apart where the rubber meets the foam. The rocks shred them all to shit fairly quickly. I need something a little more rugged I guess. Any of you have suggestions for some Trail Running Shoes that will hold up to some wear and tear?

seriously, where'd this 'deej likes to rave' thing come from? shit doesnt make sense

LOL