your favorite FALSETTO songs

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

-"Mary Don't You Weep"-The Swan Silvertones.

YES!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

-"Mary Don't You Weep"-The Swan Silvertones.

YES!
    I loves me some Rev. Claude Jeter. The back-and-forth with him and Louis Johnson on that song is Although biblically, the song is so inaccurate, as Mary Magdalene wasn't even alive during the time of the Israelite enslavement.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

It seems like most of the great male soul singers used falsetto and used it really well. I like them all. No point in saying Let's Get It On.

Smokey Robinson I think can hit those notes without falsetto. Same with Michael Jackson, though I can think of some places where he uses falsetto.

I think a lot of rock singers would be wise to drop the falsetto. Neil Young for one.

2 non soul sides already mentioned are 2 of the greatest and most famous falsetto performances.

Mary Don't You Weep. The Swan Silvertones had 2 lead singers. A baritone would typically start the song then as tensions rose Claude Jeter would take over with the falsettos.

Ruby by the Osborne Brothers. Many bluegrass bands had a lead "high" tenor who would sing as high as possible. Ruby might be the absolute best performance in this style ever.

Now that I think about it, falsetto is important in blues performance and Robert Johnson used it a lot.

Pickwick your job is to correct or clarify anything I may have muddled above and to come up with a blues equivelant of Ruby and Mary.

How do you do those embedded players that people just have to click?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

and this:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Betcha By Golly Wow - Stylistics
    Ooh Baby Baby - Smokey & Miracles
    Still Thinking Of You - Steve Parks
    (Hey There) Lonely Girl - Eddie Holman
    Walk Like A Man - Four Seasons

• eddie kendricks - my people hold on

not only is this song is amazing, talk about taking it back to the roots... but his falsetto is wonderfully seductive.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think a lot of rock singers would be wise to drop the falsetto. Neil Young for one.

I like rock falsetto when it's in that over-the-top "I like bread & butter" style of Larry Henley (from the Newbeats), but otherwise it just sounds strange hearing falsetto on a rock record, unless they're going for a scream. But if you're singing complete lyrics, like Frankie Valli, it sounds like hell.

2 non soul sides already mentioned are 2 of the greatest and most famous falsetto performances.

Mary Don't You Weep. The Swan Silvertones had 2 lead singers. A baritone would typically start the song then as tensions rose Claude Jeter would take over with the falsettos.

Ruby by the Osborne Brothers. Many bluegrass bands had a lead "high" tenor who would sing as high as possible. Ruby might be the absolute best performance in this style ever.

Now that I think about it, falsetto is important in blues performance and Robert Johnson used it a lot.

Pickwick your job is to correct or clarify anything I may have muddled above and to come up with a blues equivelant of Ruby and Mary.

How about Skip James? Or, for that matter, Al Wilson from Canned Heat (heard on "Going Up The Country," "On The Road Again" and several others)?

Honorable mention: Al Green and Syl Johnson. I've never heard them do an entire song in a falsetto, but when they go into their high range for emphasis...dude, it's all over but the shouting, then!

But if you're singing complete lyrics, like Frankie Valli, it sounds like hell.

dude didn't just straight sing falsetto.

But when he did...EEEEEEK!

Or, for that matter, Al Wilson from Canned Heat (heard on "Going Up The Country," "On The Road Again" and several others)?

speaking of Canned Heat, let's take it back to the source.

Tommy Johnson. get familiar.

Tommy Johnson. get familiar.

I know who he is, and I like him.

But I'm not apologizing for liking Canned Heat (the group), though...

that was directed at everyone, not you...I don't care one way or another about Canned Heat, it just reminded me that T.J. is another master of the falsetto.

But when he did...EEEEEEK!

I never undertood how someone could sing walk like a man in that voice.

that was directed at everyone, not you...I don't care one way or another about Canned Heat, it just reminded me that T.J. is another master of the falsetto.

true, dat!

• "Only The Lonely Knows" by Ted Taylor.[/b]

is this the same track as the flip (better ) side of the Pamoja 45?

http://www.mediafire.com/?3vfhz1z5vnp

ps- divshare seems to be down, boooooo.

• Two Things in One - "Close the Door" (Alternate Take)

is this a dude or a lesbian?

alt take

"Only The Lonely Knows" by Ted Taylor.[/b]

"Only The Lonely Knows" was on Ronn, not Pamoja. And a hard-to-top soul ballad, I'd say!

• "Only The Lonely Knows" by Ted Taylor.[/b]

"Only The Lonely Knows" was on Ronn, not Pamoja. And a hard-to-top soul ballad, I'd say!

pamoja the band, not a label. curious if its the same as the pamoja b-side on kieper.

• Fillmotions - Young Girl (Young Girl) 45version

young girl

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    Seriously expect me to read your gay ass lists...four pages deep and no AL B SURE?????? wtf..HELL-OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!?!? worst and best falsetto evar. even got test press Al B Sure rare with just acapella + bass whos with me. 2nd place goes to Scott Matelic singing along to Cher Do YOu Believe In Life After Love

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Cameo "Why Have I Lost You"
    Temprees "You Make the Sunshine" listening to the multi track of this dudes voice is HELLA cracking though. Its pretty funny.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    JR Bailey - All Strung Out
    Jato Vontel - We'll Join Together

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    a fave:

Junior Byron - Good Morning To You

check it out on:

http://www.konzeptlos.org/baytown.mp3

BayTown Mix 2006

0. Fela Ransome-Kuti & The Africa '70 - Monday Morning In Lagos (intro)
    1. Alan Toussaint - Studio Outtake 1
    2. Reno & The Chosen 3 - Soul Bagg
    3. Shades Of Time - Can You Dig It
    4. Kenneth Wells - Contagious
    5. The Pacers feat. Bobby Crafford- You'll Never Know
    6. Soul Chargers feat. William Wright - Charge It Up Baby
    7. Dee Dee Gartrell - I Must Be Doing Something Right
    8. Nelson Sanders - This Love Is Here To Stay
    9. The Martinis - Bullseye
    10. Thomas East & The Fabulous Playboys - Bad Thing
    11. Four Wheel Drive - Fussin' & Cussin'
    12. Ray Frazier & The Shades Of Madness - I Who Have Nothing (Am Somebody)
    13. Shirlean Williams & The Tempo's Band - This Is A Song
    14. Wayne Carter & Organ Twisters - Peter In Or Out
    15. Waymond Hall - What Will Tomorrow Bring
    16. Zodiacs - Don't Change On Me (later version)
    17. Spitting Image - JB's Latin
    18. Justin - Right Now
    19. The Echomen - Let's Get Together
    20. Veedette Williams - Whole Thing
    21. Freedom Express - Get Down
    22. JM's Funk Factory - Get On The Case Pt.1
    23. The Leaders - (It's A) Rat Race
    24. Fabulous Fugitives & Their Review - What The World Needs
    25. Junior Byron - Good Morning To You
    26. Joyce Williams - I Don't Want Your Love

peace

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    "Wherever You Go" by Skip Mahoney and the Casuals was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this thread.

Also, can't believe nobody's repping the Beach Boys. Dozens of great examples there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Two Things in One - "Close the Door" (Alternate Take)

people need to get familiar. this song has been killing my ipod for weeks.

I'll take Jinx's answer as the definitive one, but i'm still having trouble believeing its a dude singing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh yes, Horace Andy and Rod Taylor songs.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Van Morrison's "Who Was that Masked Man? off of Veedon Fleece is a moody falsetto classic. "Ain't it lonely living with a gun"

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Two Things in One - "Close the Door" (Alternate Take)

people need to get familiar. this song has been killing my ipod for weeks.

I'll take Jinx's answer as the definitive one, but i'm still having trouble believeing its a dude singing.

well if it helps you to believe it more, MJ has been a hair stylist for many, many years now. not that im implying anything... im just saying...