Third Man

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I dont remember who posted in the movie thread, that this was their favorite movie, but its playing at the Modern this month.The Third Man. 1949. Great Britain. Directed by Carol Reed. Screenplay by Graham Greene. With Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles. Famous for its climactic Vienna chase sequence and its unforgettable theme music, Reed's dazzling collaboration with Greene features Cotten as a novelist trying to puzzle through what's become of his old friend, Harry Lime. 104 min. Saturday, August 4, 2007, 6:00 p.m., Theater 2, T2 Wednesday, August 8, 2007, 8:45 p.m., Theater 2, T2

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    and my favorite too.

Broken Blossoms. 1919. USA. Written and directed by D. W. Griffith. With Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess, Donald Crisp. Restored with funding from the Lillian Gish Trust for Film Preservation. Silent. Approx. 89 min.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007, 7:30 p.m., Theater 2, T2 (With piano accompaniment by Ben Model)
    Sunday, July 8, 2007, 2:00 p.m., Theater 2, T2 (With piano accompaniment by Ben Model)

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    That image of Welles in the doorway is the definition of classic.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I love that theme song. Has any band covered it?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I dont remember who posted in the movie thread, that this was their favorite movie, but its playing at the Modern this month.

that was me.

absolutely the best piece of cinema these eyes have ever scene (So far)

I'm on the fence about picking up the new Criterion double disc version, I have the other one and I really don't see much difference between the two

has anyone picked it up?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Carol Reed's Odd Man Out and Fallen Idol are almost on the same level, too. Amazing three-film run.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Carol Reed's Odd Man Out and Fallen Idol are almost on the same level, too. Amazing three-film run.

Never seen Odd Man Out, is it available on DVD?

Fallen Idol is wonderful too. It's funny that after this run of brilliance he ends up winning an Oscar of the musical Oliver

Never seen Odd Man Out, is it available on DVD?

Fallen Idol is wonderful too. It's funny that after this run of brilliance he ends up winning and Oscar of the musical Oliver

According to Amazon, there was an Odd Man Out DVD that goes for $50+ now used, but I saw it on tape years ago.

I know, his career is all over the place, but does include some other good-to-great films. Other favorites besides the ones I mentioned are the early (1940) thriller Night Train to Munich and the later Alec Guiness espionage comedy Our Man in Havana, which showed at the AFI in DC-area recently.

• nutriciousnutricious 118 Posts
    I love that theme song. Has any band covered it?

there's a lot of shitty eurokitsch-covers ranging from panflute to zither (the lapsteel-like instrument the original is played on) from that era, since it was a big hit.

i also remember a bizarrly amusing reggae-version from an otherwise shitty 80s record by the shadows and some austrian pseudo-falco song which combined the theme with a handful of the good old funky drummer loop...

no really remarkable versions here though. anyone?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Carol Reed and Powell and Presburger are repsonsible for some of the 20th century's greatest movies.

Carol Reed and Powell and Presburger are repsonsible for some of the 20th century's greatest movies.

Agreed. I love all eras P+P. I got deep into them after one year at the Toronto Film Festival when George Romero presented Tales of Hoffmann as the film that made him want to make movies.

Although they showed Peeping Tom here in Baltimore about a year ago and several of my friends didn't dig it.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Agreed. I love all eras P+P. I got deep into them after one year at the Toronto Film Festival when George Romero presented Tales of Hoffmann as the film that made him want to make movies.

Although they showed Peeping Tom here in Baltimore about a year ago and several of my friends didn't dig it.

Several of your friends must be severely

Peeping Tom is as brilliant a cinematic indictment of audience participating as 'voyeur' as you may see... truly chilling.. the lead (Karl something I think) was as cold and detached as could be yet still demanded understanding if not empathy...

But I thought this was about Third Man?! Or have we opened the arena to include discussion on all British films?!?!! The Archers are definetly pimps in the game for sheer longevity/consistency but even Red Shoes, Peeping Tom, Black Narcissus don't hold ish to Carol Reed's masterpiece....

Odd Man Out is IMO second to Third Man in Reed's canon... James Mason turns in a performance to rank up there with Humbert Humbert... although you can't quite top Welles magnetism on-screen in a role that teases the audience with his impending presence... it was released by Image on DVD some time ago with no extras and has since fetched prices of $50 or more (got $80 for my copy)... the distribution rights are owned by Janus Films though which would leave me to believe that Criterion with release an updated edition in the future...

Haven't seen The Fallen Idol... read the book though and it's a great story with a dash of very playful dark humour reminiscent of Third Man... Graham Greene was truly the man!! Just read Brighton Rock for further evidence... I believe Criterion released this on DVD in the past few months....

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    I dont remember who posted in the movie thread, that this was their favorite movie, but its playing at the Modern this month.

that was me.

absolutely the best piece of cinema these eyes have ever scene (So far)

I'm on the fence about picking up the new Criterion double disc version, I have the other one and I really don't see much difference between the two

has anyone picked it up?

From my understanding it's the same transfer... just more extras... I smell a cash grab on one of Criterion's loftier titles... did the same with Seven Samurai and Brazil although I'm pretty sure the Kurosawa got an updated transfer...