Five-String Bass Unappreciation Thread

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
From the formless sub-tonic mush that renders the groove D.O.A. in instrumental hiphop groups to the overbearingly annoying clickety-clack rattle that provides the only identifying feature (other than creative facial hair) of most metal bassplayers of the past decade or so, the five-string bass' contribution to the musical industry apparently has been solely to provide guitar-shop clerks with yet another useless product to hoist upon well-meaning parents hoping to give Junior a leg-up in his entry into the school of rock, only to end up consigning him to a lifetime of playing not only out of the pocket, but out of the entire fucking pair of trousers. Or to put it colloquially: "The five-string bass? It's pants."

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    how do you feel about tom petersson's 12-string bass?

damn that thing looks crazy

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    SUNSHINE DAYDREAM[/b]

What you got against the six string?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Pointless and stylistic, but harmless.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    From the formless sub-tonic mush that renders the groove D.O.A. in instrumental hiphop groups to the overbearingly annoying clickety-clack rattle that provides the only identifying feature (other than creative facial hair) of most metal bassplayers of the past decade or so, the five-string bass' contribution to the musical industry apparently has been solely to provide guitar-shop clerks with yet another useless product to hoist upon well-meaning parents hoping to give Junior a leg-up in his entry into the school of rock, only to end up consigning him to a lifetime of playing not only out of the pocket, but out of the entire fucking pair of trousers.

Or to put it colloquially: "The five-string bass? It's pants."

it's even worse when they start with that theme-from-Seinfeld thumb-popping mess

Q: What you got against the six string?
    A: SUNSHINE DAYDREAM

Any defenses of the 5- and 6-string bass that involve entering "The Phil Zone" will be considered as hostile posts.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    HATTER

but the strings are laid out like a 12-string rickenbacker so doesn't the tone sound fuller just like a 12 string guitar? i agree it is mostly for show, but it does sound different doesn't it?

but the strings are laid out like a 12-string rickenbacker so doesn't the tone sound fuller just like a 12 string guitar? i agree it is mostly for show, but it does sound different doesn't it?

Yeah, double-octave basses like that do sound different. Still, 80s-90s altrock outfit Das Damen's bassist had a pretty cool vintage 8-string Hagstrom but I don't recall it making that much difference in the scheme of things.

But back to the point: my hatred is pretty much aimed at the subwoofer-emulating 5- and 6-string models that, far from adding a "deeper and richer tone" to the music, end up weighing it down like a pair of concrete dunks, with the added bonus of making the player in question look as if they worship at the temple of Les Claypool rather than Geezer Butler.

And if I may be blunt, it's quite telling that the majority Soustrut massive has failed to concur with me on this point. Senseless banning, rampant homophobia, endless west coast in-jokes I can deal with. Five-string bass admiration I cannot. Expect my permanent exit from this board if this thread doesn't continue in a more acceptable direction post-haste.

• how do you feel about tom petersson's 12-string bass?

I'm guessing the 4 "main" strings are tuned in 4ths, (E A D G) and each string has a smaller string above it tuned a 5th up so you're basically playing a power chord for every note you hit.

but everyone knows REAL bassists play 8 strings

whoa look at that thing! 8-string picasso bass =

sidenote, my janglepop sense is tingling and i am really tempted to start a 12-string rick appreciation thread

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    hmmmm, I agree with you in regards to the nu-metal bass hacks rocking the low-B, but I like the sound of the added high-C on the bottom.

-k

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I am with marco...extra-string basses are pointless and useless and they are only used for evil. If you are a bassist and you need extra, higher notes...buy a guitar.

I like the sound of the added high-C on the bottom

AYO, "Got Ch*d?" Dept.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

ah ha! oh shit. Well, as long as we all know who is on the bottom!

• 12-strings like Petersson's are a standard four string (EADG) with a high and low octave string in addition to the standard. One note = three. They sound good, chimey and make a lot of racket -- See Pearl Jam's 'Jeremy' and then look away, fast.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Any defenses of the 5- and 6-string bass that involve entering "The Phil Zone" will be considered as hostile posts.

Plaese to clairfy your position on the 3-string bass/5-string guitar. By string count, this would pass, yet somehow I see you having beef with "Da Hunter"!

• That fanned fret setup looks bonkers as does the three different layers of facial hair.

Plaese to clairfy your position on the 3-string bass/5-string guitar. By string count, this would pass, yet somehow I see you having beef with "Da Hunter"!

Bass-plus-Guitar hybrids? Obviously unacceptable.*

*unless operated under the supervision of Jimmy Page or Rick Nielson.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    extra strings on a bass are retarded... while possibly not as bad as a seven string guitar they are still basically useless and unmusical

this is all you need if you want BASS

• Most gospel and current r&b stuff's way below the low 'E' of the four. Tuning down might work buuuut floppy strings aren't much fun and sound bad.

Aesthetically, 5 lose the symmentry of four string basses and usually don't look as good imo.

extra strings on a bass are retarded...

"well, I guess I'm retarded"

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Anthony Jackson plays the 6-String with Michel Camilo on the latin jazz documentary Calle 54. Not bad wanky fusion - just a great musician using the instrument to good effect.

In the guitar/bass gray area there's also the Danelectro 6 string bass from the sixties, used by Duane Eddy and the like. It's kinda like a low-sounding guitar more than a bass though. Found this pic...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    You diss Patitucci, you diss yourself.

Srs doe, he has the best mugs, the other one he does is like the "Scanners" poster (head-about-to-pop-R)

But the boy can play, if you hatt the 6, then at least check him on upright with Vinnie and Chick "Akoustic Band Live at the Blue Note, Tokyo".

Sack Metal - The gospel guys got the 30Hz down pat, check John B. Williams with Chaka and Andew Gouche.

I used to have a Yamaha 6 and regret selling it. I guess you either feel it or you don't. Chopped in for an incredible-sounding 4-string Musicman that was once owned by either Captain Sensible or Rat Scabies (The-Damned-R).

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    tomfuckyoupwhiningbitches

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Brian Gibson of Lightning Bolt rocks the five-string bass "tuned to C G D A E, with banjo strings for the A and E."

behold the softness:

• i think i get the general complaint which is that more strings encourages players to over-play or noodle pointlessly and lose sight of the groove but it doesn't have to be that way. here is eldee young killing it on the 8-string bass:

• aaaaaaaaand then there's this dude on the 18-string bass....

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I wonder if "Pancake's Secret Butt Move" is an original composition.