Betty Davis Radio Interview (and O-Dub, as well)

YoungAmericanYoungAmerican 16 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Hey -- I'm mostly a lurker around here, but I thought some folks might enjoy this episode of my radio show, The Sound of Young America.Betty Davis and the folks at Light in the Attic were nice enough to let me do an interview with her -- which I think is her first radio interview since she quit the record business 25 or 30 years ago. Here's that show link. I also did an interview with O-Dub about his classes at CSU-LB and about Soulsides V2.Anyway, both are free to download or stream or whatever. Let me know what you think.And... if you happen to REALLY enjoy them, you can subscribe to the show in iTunes using this link. Or you can email your local public radio station and ask them to pick it up... it's distributed by Public Radio International.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Thanx dude!!!!!

That was cool.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my radio show, The Sound of Young America.

the Killer Mike interview from last year is fucking amazing.

keep doing your thing dude.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    America's sweetheart in the hizouse! (Sup jesse)

Speaking of Betty interviews, can't remember if I posted this before, but it's from 1975: Al Gee interviewing Betty back in the day

(thanks to Joost)

• thanks all...

I know a lot of folks peeped, would love to hear what you think.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Speaking of Betty interviews, can't remember if I posted this before, but it's from 1975: Al Gee interviewing Betty back in the day

I was about to say - I found this record last year, great interview... glad someone else has already digitized it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    thanks all...

I know a lot of folks peeped, would love to hear what you think.

... and can I just say, to all thse 5 post wonders that bitch about "i can't ask a question without gettign clonned... THIS is the definition of a good look right here.

If you approach the Strut with respect and drop useful knoweldge and share, the Strut will be good to you.

• Damn O! You taught something using the movie "Crash" and your students liked the movie more? jk

but yeah, that movie was

And to folks who don't subscribe to the Sound of Young Americans,

They run the gamut of interesting interviews such as Devin The Dude, Harvey Pekar, Jeff Chang (author of Can't Stop Won't Stop), and a lot of stand up comedians and entertainers. The latest one is with author Elmore Leonard.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Damn O! You taught something using the movie "Crash" and your students liked the movie more? jk

but yeah, that movie was

And to folks who don't subscribe to the Sound of Young Americans,

They run the gamut of interesting interviews such as Devin The Dude, Harvey Pekar, Jeff Chang (author of Can't Stop Won't Stop), and a lot of stand up comedians and entertainers. The latest one is with author Elmore Leonard.

dude, are you one of Oli's students?

HOLY SCHITT!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Unfortunately, my computer at work seems unable to play any of these, but I'll be sure to do some downloading when I get home. So many great interviews: Michael Cera, Bob Odenkirk, Steven Wright, Ted Leo, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc. You have another subscriber for sure. Keep up the great work!

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Big Up America's Radio Sweetheart, representing all freaks & geeks. Betty interview sounded a little more difficult than most, you pulled it off.And congratulations on the move up to PRI!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Not to take away from this thread, but I finally read the Betty Davis interview in Wax Poetics and when I was done with it I thought of one thing about Betty Davis: Groupie Chick.

The way she encountered Miles from the begining made her look super oppurtunistic plus she ended up dating or "kicking it" with a lot other famous musicians really just put old girl in a questionable light. Plus the fact she was only married to Miles for a year but somehow spun it and used it as springboard is .

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Not to take away from this thread, but I finally read the Betty Davis interview in Wax Poetics and when I was done with it I thought of one thing about Betty Davis: Groupie Chick.

The way she encountered Miles from the begining made her look super oppurtunistic plus she ended up dating or "kicking it" with a lot other famous musicians really just put old girl in a questionable light. Plus the fact she was only married to Miles for a year but somehow spun it and used it as springboard is .

True, true. She came off a little bit like a groupie. But at the same time Miles and a whole host of other dudes all said the Betty had something "special" about her, that she radiated differently.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    my radio show, The Sound of Young America.

really?? you interview A LOT of my favorite people. louis theroux, tom scharpling, bob odenkirk, the list goes on and on.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    great stuff. thanks for sharing.

Betty certainly was very good about attaching herself to men that she felt like she could learn from or help get her career off and running. But I don't think she was attracted to fame for the sake of. Nor was her point to use men for financial comfort. She was, in many ways, very independent and her relationships with various musicians tended to be on her terms.

Which is part of why her and Miles didn't work out. #1, he was abusive and that explains, to a large extent, why they didn't work out. He was also a control freak and insecure and given their diff in age, theirs was not a relat meant to last.

She wasn't a groupie by any conventional definition of the term and certainly didn't engage in the type of behavior that would have been common to groupies in the era (and to be sure, you only had to look at some of Betty's friends, like the infamous Devon Wilson, to see the difference).

But Betty wasn't like Superhead. Nowhere close.

• Thanks to all the folks who've said nice things about TSOYA. Hope some new folks are checking it out, too.

If any of you live in a place that doesn't get the show on the radio (pretty much everywhere other than New York, Salt Lake, Santa Cruz or Hattiesburg, MS), drop your local public radio stations a line and tell them you'd like to hear it. Makes a big difference.

One cool music show that I think people here might find interesting, even though it isn't soul or hip-hop, is this one. The guests are Dan Levitin, who wrote a book about music and the brain, and the musique concrete group Matmos, who make some kind of amazing music out of weird samples and loops. One of the songs on their record uses the sound of one of the two guys in the group having his hand singed by a cigarette by one of the guys from the punk rock group the Germs. But they're fun, funny guys.

Anyway... keep those cards and letters coming, I'm really enjoying hearing people's reactions.

With the Betty Interview, she couldn't have been nicer, but she is just a very reticent person... I cut a lot of long, long, long silences out of the interview. I would say an average of two loooooong silences per response. But again, really nice woman, just not a talker. You can hear it on the Gee interview, she wasn't a big talker BEFORE she was a recluse

The "lost" Betty Davis album from 1976, "Crashin From Passion" is about to finally get released this fall.

It's not necessarily as "sample friendly" as her first two albums but the songwriting and singing =

Stay tuned!

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    The "lost" Betty Davis album from 1976, "Crashin From Passion" is about to finally get released this fall.

It's not necessarily as "sample friendly" as her first two albums but the songwriting and singing =

Stay tuned!

Why lost? It's been available on CD before.

Quintessence of Hip is as close as it gets to the first two but even that sounds a little forced. it's OK but I don't go back to it often.

Why lost? It's been available on CD before.

No, it hasn't. It's never, ever been made available in any form (though a guy in the Netherlands has an acetate test-pressing of it).

You're talking about this album: http://www.amazon.com/Crashin-Passion-Be...36898545&sr=8-1

I'm talking about a completely different album but I know it's a bit confusing. Peep:

In 1976, Betty headed down to Bogalusa, LA to record at Studio in the Country; with her are four musicians from North Carolina who formed the core of the band that played on "Nasty Gal" and on her tours somewhere around the 1974-76 era.

They spent 2 months there and recorded an album called "Crashin' From Passion." However, for reasons that are not yet entirely clear, that album didn't come out. My most informed guess right now is that it had to do with label issues between Island and Just Sunshine though Betty's musical director at the time insists Philly Int'l was also involved (I haven't been able to confirm this with any secondary source yet though).

In 1979, Betty recorded ANOTHER album, also named "Crashin' From Passion" in NYC (I believe Martha Reeves was involved with that album somehow) but with different players and completely different songs, except maybe for the title track. Her manager at the time absconded with the masters and later pirated it - that's the album that Amazon carries. Same name, entirely different albums.

So the "Crashin' From Passion" I'm talking about (and they may end up changing the title just to prevent confusion) basically sat in the vaults of Studio in the Country and in Just Sunshine's offices for the last 30 years, doing absolutely nothing. And it is, in my opinion, a really killer album, less so for the music (it's very aggressively Black rock/funk but I don't think it will strike the fancy of people who really liked her first two albums) and more so for the songwriting and general vibe.

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    Ahh, that's the one i'm thinking of.

This other one sounds like a much more interesting prospect,I'll look forward to hearing it.

I finished wrapping 3000 words on these liners (oof, I need a back rub) and even though the album isn't due out until fall, I thought I'd throw out a little teaser snippet of one of my favorite songs on the album: "Stars Starve You Know"

Stars Starve, You Know - Betty Davis