Bay Area Appreciation Redux

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    you can walk away from either amoebas with a stack full of heat for relatively cheap.

Not lately.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    you can walk away from either amoebas with a stack full of heat for relatively cheap.

Not lately.

I have never walked away from Amoeba with "a stack full of heat". One time I bought a record off the wall, but other than that it's all new stuff or recent used stuff for me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Lafayette

IS THIS WHERE I SHOULD GO TO GET THE REAL RAP EXPERIENCE?

You probably think you frap fresher than me.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Not lately.

I have never walked away from Amoeba with "a stack full of heat".

Nor have I if we are going to employ the soulstrut definition of "heat". But I used to at least be able to make my hour trip down worthwhile by actually buying records. Not lately. Not cheap records. Not wall records. Not nothing.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like The Bay but I don't know if I could ever live there.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey SF Heads,

I'll be attending the Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology conference to be held in Frisco next April (2008), and T**i is accompanying me. Where are some cool spots there were we could go? I've never visited there. You guys make it sound beautiful, and I've heard as much.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Not lately.

I have never walked away from Amoeba with "a stack full of heat".

Nor have I if we are going to employ the soulstrut definition of "heat". But I used to at least be able to make my hour trip down worthwhile by actually buying records. Not lately. Not cheap records. Not wall records. Not nothing.

Yeah, and you can forget about Berkeley. Worse records and worse staff.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hey SF Heads,

I'll be attending the Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology conference to be held in Frisco next April (2008), and T**i is accompanying me. Where are some cool spots there were we could go? I've never visited there. You guys make it sound beautiful, and I've heard as much.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey - if I were still living here, I'd offer to take ya'll around for a day but here's what I sent a friend of mine asking a similar question:

Normally, for most cities, I wouldn't recommend a standard tourist route but with SF, it's so small, compact and beautiful that some things are actually worth doing.

For example, absolutely take the cable car from Powell St/Market to where it terminates in the Marina. You can also take it back (since your only other option would be bus or taxi) or if you really feel like a stroll, you can walk all the way back around North Beach and Embarcadero to downtown (it's a solid hike though). Note: if you decide to do this - don't do it on a weekend. You don't want the wait.

I'd definitely plan a picnic or at least visit for Crissy Field which sits at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you have a car, what I'd recommend is driving up to the Bridge first, park, maybe walk across halfway and then come back. Then drive down to Crissy Field and have lunch on the beach. it can be a little windy but it's gorgeous.

Another suggestion - start the day off at 9th and Irving (westside of the city) and go to this bakery called Arizmendi on 9th, between Irving and Judah. Get some scones there (their scones are great) and then walk 1.5 blocks to Golden Gate Park and eat them at the Botanical Gardens which are by the 9th st entrance.

If you're a baseball fan at all - Giants Stadium is fantastic. And the food there is great for a baseball stadium.

I've never done the Alcatraz trip but I imagine, at the very least, it'd be a nice trip into the Bay.

Personally, I'd skip North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown (though, of the three, Fisherman's Wharf might be worth doing just for the sake of) given that all three are mostly tourist traps with bad parking.

I'm sure other folks will have other suggestions to add on, especially if you feel like crossing the Bay and visiting Oakland, Berkeley, etc. But if you're here on a conf schedule, my assumption is that time will be rather minimal.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Hey SF Heads,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey - if I were still living here, I'd offer to take ya'll around for a day but here's what I sent a friend of mine asking a similar question:

Normally, for most cities, I wouldn't recommend a standard tourist route but with SF, it's so small, compact and beautiful that some things are actually worth doing.

For example, absolutely take the cable car from Powell St/Market to where it terminates in the Marina. You can also take it back (since your only other option would be bus or taxi) or if you really feel like a stroll, you can walk all the way back around North Beach and Embarcadero to downtown (it's a solid hike though). Note: if you decide to do this - don't do it on a weekend. You don't want the wait.

I'd definitely plan a picnic or at least visit for Crissy Field which sits at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you have a car, what I'd recommend is driving up to the Bridge first, park, maybe walk across halfway and then come back. Then drive down to Crissy Field and have lunch on the beach. it can be a little windy but it's gorgeous.

Another suggestion - start the day off at 9th and Irving (westside of the city) and go to this bakery called Arizmendi on 9th, between Irving and Judah. Get some scones there (their scones are great) and then walk 1.5 blocks to Golden Gate Park and eat them at the Botanical Gardens which are by the 9th st entrance.

If you're a baseball fan at all - Giants Stadium is fantastic. And the food there is great for a baseball stadium.

I've never done the Alcatraz trip but I imagine, at the very least, it'd be a nice trip into the Bay.

Personally, I'd skip North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown (though, of the three, Fisherman's Wharf might be worth doing just for the sake of) given that all three are mostly tourist traps with bad parking.

I'm sure other folks will have other suggestions to add on, especially if you feel like crossing the Bay and visiting Oakland, Berkeley, etc. But if you're here on a conf schedule, my assumption is that time will be rather minimal.
    then off to the rowdy rich for a sideshow extravaganza

Stacks,

I forgot to add: Groove Merchant, homie. They don't have a girlfriend bech but they do have chairs and old design magazines.

And Chris just got in Bubbha Thomas and Lightmen LP for the rill headz.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Spanky,

Thank, mane!!! Definitely, we'll have to check out those spots when I arrive on the SF scene. I'm amped about the trip. I wish it were during the summer, so I could stretch the trip out a little longer. Academy of Management conference next year (August, 2008) will be in Anaheim (in Philly a month from now). What's up???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've lived in the Bay, on and off, from '90-'96. I miss the people but not the place so much. It's cool, in fact it's outstanding, but I hate the weather. It's unnatural for humans to populate such cold regions.

Anaheim = ugh.

Anaheim = ugh.

Oh, should I pass on the trip, then? I've been known to pass on a conference located somewhere that is unappealing. The place has no redeeming qualities whatsoever? Knowledge me, homie!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks,

I'm not the best person to rep the OC but people I know from the area tend to be rather blase about Anaheim. You're in the LA area but the traffic to get up to LA proper is rough.

There is disneyland though.

• Seriously, what more could I ask for?

maybe some record stores (other than gm) that weren't totally picked over?

Whats the name of that store on the same street as Groove Merchant, a few blocks down the hill..(listening post in the window) I found some great 45s in there in september 05!!! I had a great 24hrs in San Francisco when I missed a connecting flight (not my fault)... went out to berkely and had a wander around (more records).. San Fran reminds me of Sydney Australia in a heap of ways. Great place.

• Seriously, what more could I ask for?

Whats the name of that store on the same street as Groove Merchant, a few blocks down the hill..(listening post in the window) I found some great 45s in there in september 05!!! I had a great 24hrs in San Francisco when I missed a connecting flight (not my fault)... went out to berkely and had a wander around (more records).. San Fran reminds me of Sydney Australia in a heap of ways. Great place.

same side of haight? tweekin? other side , 45s? prolly rookys?

Seriously, what more could I ask for?

same side of haight? tweekin? other side , 45s? prolly rookys?

45s on Haight? Gotta be Rooky's.